ADVERTISEMENT

NBA expected to lower age limit from 19 to 18

Honestly, just do it and be done with it.

This should keep college rosters in tact.. as the 1ADs go right to the league and players IN college now have to compete with 5-6 draft spots going right to the elite HS players.

What will be interesting, is what happens to the G-League Ignite and teams of that nature.

This should keep college rosters in tact.. as the 1ADs go right to the league and players IN college now have to compete with 5-6 draft spots going right to the elite HS players.

What will be interesting, is what happens to the G-League Ignite and teams of that nature.
Actually it will not. Kids want paying. NIL and the transfer rule have turned this into a bidding war. Stable rosters are a thing of the past.

Actually it will not. Kids want paying. NIL and the transfer rule have turned this into a bidding war. Stable rosters are a thing of the past.

Well, that's kind of another topic that I don't necessarily disagree with.. but this DOES help curtail the 1AD thing. If this passes, the top10 in recruiting won't be going to college.. they will go to the G-League or right to the NBA. And I think that's generally a good thing.

The 11th ranked recruit who goes to UK will likely not be good enough to go to the NBA after 1-year, and there will also be fewer spots with the HS class behind him taking several draft spots.

I've been all for it being 18. The interesting thing will be how many guys make the leap. There were 21 freshman drafted last year and only 2 that entered and went undrafted. I'm thinking you get maybe 10 guys entering out of high school. Going to make the transfer portal even more important imo.

Well, that's kind of another topic that I don't necessarily disagree with.. but this DOES help curtail the 1AD thing. If this passes, the top10 in recruiting won't be going to college.. they will go to the G-League or right to the NBA. And I think that's generally a good thing.

The 11th ranked recruit who goes to UK will likely not be good enough to go to the NBA after 1-year, and there will also be fewer spots with the HS class behind him taking several draft spots.
I still don’t see this completely eliminating one and done. We have had plenty of fringe first rounders leave after one year .

Now I get there is NIL now which could help .

I still don’t see this completely eliminating one and done. We have had plenty of fringe first rounders leave after one year .

I'm sure it will happen.. but there's only 60 draft spots.. and now, several of the 1st round spots will go to HSers.. So a guy like, say, Ty Ty Washington who went 29th. I get the sense he'd drop a few spots with the elite HSers taking spots this past June. Maybe that has no affect on his choice.. but it DOES mean, he might not get the guaranteed 1st round money.

Reactions: shaudyshaud

It won't eliminate the OAD but it puts even more pressure on college coaches possibly waiting till the last minute to see if a kid like, say, Karter Knox skips college or does a year. The NBA isn't only interested in the Moses Malones and Lebrons anymore. They are desperate.

I agree, most years HS does not have a kobe Bryant trying to make the leap. Instead they'll be trying to figure out how to stash a talented immature kid until he is hopefully ready
I think the NBA knows that if you're an elite talent, waiting a year ain't gonna matter much. And there's just so much "tape" on HS athletes these days, that there wasn't back in the early 2000s. An NBA team can find everything it could ever want to know about a guy like Cason Wallace or Derrick Lively.

I think the NBA knows that if you're an elite talent, waiting a year ain't gonna matter much. And there's just so much "tape" on HS athletes these days, that there wasn't back in the early 2000s. An NBA team can find everything it could ever want to know about a guy like Cason Wallace or Derrick Lively.
Yep. You don't ever have to leave your couch to scout some of these elite kids as far as their game. ...But, nothing will beat a face to face with the player, coaches and teammates.

I'm sure it will happen.. but there's only 60 draft spots.. and now, several of the 1st round spots will go to HSers.. So a guy like, say, Ty Ty Washington who went 29th. I get the sense he'd drop a few spots with the elite HSers taking spots this past June. Maybe that has no affect on his choice.. but it DOES mean, he might not get the guaranteed 1st round money.
I actually don't think it will effect draft spots like that. The Elite high schoolers were just among the OAD this past year. I think what you will see a combined 20-25 guys between HS kids and OAD...similar to what you see now. You might see a few more OAD. I also think Ty Ty would have went straight to the draft.

I actually don't think it will effect draft spots like that. The Elite high schoolers were just among the OAD this past year. I think what you will see a combined 20-25 guys between HS kids and OAD...similar to what you see now. You might see a few more OAD. I also think Ty Ty would have went straight to the draft.
I tend to agree with this. I think you'd have about the same overall total number. It'd just take a cycle for it to even out.

I think it will mean less of the ELITE types going to college, though. Ty Ty is on that fringe level of talent. There's now another landing spot for the elite players, along with G-League and development leagues.

The transfer portal is still going to rip teams apart.. but at least with this, you won't have 7 or 8 1ADs, simply because they won't come here. Could that mean a player, say, ranked 20th will have a harder time landing in the 1st round? I think it might.Those 7 or 8 elite players will be able to reel in NBA teams based on potential. BJ Boston gets picked top20 instead of in the 50s.

This should keep college rosters in tact.
No, it won’t. The combination of NIL and the new transfer portal rules removing virtually all transfer restrictions ensure that the annual roster chaos will continue. I’m afraid the sort of roster stability we saw in the past is gone forever.

I’m still glad they’re lowering the age though. Enough with forcing kids to spend a year in college who have absolutely no desire to be there.

No, it won’t. The combination of NIL and the new transfer portal rules removing virtually all transfer restrictions ensure that the annual roster chaos will continue. I’m afraid the sort of roster stability we saw in the past is gone forever.

I’m still glad they’re lowering the age though. Enough with forcing kids to spend a year in college who have absolutely no desire to be there.

I meant that more so in the confines of 1AD. Of course, the transfer portal is still a huge issue. Really dont know why it's still setup this way.

A decent start but it's still not a good idea completely unless it's then a 2 year college minimum rule. The NBA was hot garbage in my opinion in the early to mid 2000s because of the limited roster space being used on over hyped straight-out-of-high-school pics. For every LeBron there were 3 or 4 Kwame Browns.

I have no idea why these NBA teams want to go back to trying to scout high school kids again.
The NBA is making so much money that the first contract that these 1st rounders are going to sign is a drop in the bucket. So, if a team or teams miss on an evaluation of a kid, it doesn’t outweigh the lure of drafting the next Kobe. Plus, if they aren’t ready right away, the NBA team can just send the kid to their G-League affiliate.

What is mind boggling is the fact that the NBA has enough money now to draft these kids PURELY on potential while not even USING college basketball as a FREE evaluator. CRAZY!!!

A decent start but it's still not a good idea completely unless it's then a 2 year college minimum rule. The NBA was hot garbage in my opinion in the early to mid 2000s because of the limited roster space being used on over hyped straight-out-of-high-school pics. For every LeBron there were 3 or 4 Kwame Browns.
That's just not true. In fact, high school players had less busts than college guys coming out. There are busts in every class, but the notion that high school kids were busts more than college kids is a myth.

I think it evens out.

Yes, Tyty has to compete with the high school seniors in the 2022 draft.
But a number of the 1 and done's that went to college would have gone in the 2021 NBA draft.

I'm very much for this. We've been burnt too many times by kids that only came here because the NBA required a year out of high school.

Let those kids go. We may lose out on some elite guys, but so will Duke, Kansas, UNC, UCLA, Arizona, Gonzaga, etc.

Someone said it won't eliminate one and done completely. It won't. I doubt anyone argues "there will never be another one and done after this rule change." But I think it will lessen it to a large extent.

Going to the NBA and getting drafted is two different things. What about the kids that don’t get drafted. IMHO the NBA is a cancer on college basketball.

Agreed.

If NBA wants to go back to days of getting to pick Kobe Bryant and Lebron James out of HS...great. But you also get to risk the Kwame Brown, Jonathon Bender, Robert Swift, Eddie Curry, Sebestian Telfair, etc....than go back to the days of that mess being all over your rosters.

At least 1 year of college allowed you to sort out the pretenders from the contenders to a degree. But NBA is hell bent on ruining college ball whereas NFL is happy to allow college to be their farm system. But if this is what NBA wants....whatever. It's their life.

I think it evens out.

Yes, Tyty has to compete with the high school seniors in the 2022 draft.
But a number of the 1 and done's that went to college would have gone in the 2021 NBA draft.

That's true. It may all just wash out. I guess I just see the 1AD player kind of falling off a bit with a rule like this. Which i'm totally fine with.

Reactions: Cats192
I’m all for it, give it 5 years and imagine the number of busts/kids whose careers are already toast at 22 but thought they were gods gift 3 years prior. Will push the level headed ones to college and will only create a better college product.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT