ADVERTISEMENT

National analyst has new prediction for Mark Smith

He really wants to play point guard so it makes sense.UK and Michigan State are recruiting him more as a 2 guard.

We honestly do not have a need for Smith next season

Need, maybe not. But we only have 4 guards on the roster. Wouldn't hurt to have 1 more for competition, or simply in case of an injury, or someone underperforms.
But the main reason to add Smith is for his Jr & SR years.

Need, maybe not. But we only have 4 guards on the roster. Wouldn't hurt to have 1 more for competition, or simply in case of an injury, or someone underperforms.

Right, but what kid wants to come be the 5th guard and wait three years to play? That's our issue.

Reactions: Cats192
I think we'll be fine with Johnson. Smith could thrive at a Illinois so more power to him.

If Smith wants to come to UK with the idea of staying for several seasons then he'd be a great addition. But I believe he was quoted as saying he wanted tons of PT and wanted to get to the NBA fast. He won't get that U.K. If we get Johnson as well. He will likely get mop up time which is why I seriously doubt he'll be a cat.

Reactions: dancerman4
Smith is going to be a good player with the right coaching and surrounding players. Playing time is a child's dream of progressing. In the NBA you earn your keep as someone who helps yourself and others to succeed.

Where ever he goes good luck to him. He will never be a super star in the NBA so he needs to learn how to play the game along side great players. Then he , will maybe, stick for a long and fruitful career.

Illinois? Is that a joke?

I keep hearing we really need Cameron Johnson from Pitt and I agree 100% on that observation but is Coach Cal going hard after Cam Johnson. When seeing updates on recruiting I haven't seen if Coach Cal has visited Cam Johnson yet. Has it been scheduled or is Coach Cal waiting on him to make his visit at Kentucky and then have his talk with him. I just don't see in most recruiting reports that Coach Cal is going strong after Cam Johnson like some of the other Head Coaches right now. I believe with the number of players we have at forward we miss out on Kevin Knox and then we for sure need Cam Johnson at shooting guard or 3 next year. We get Cam Johnson that gives us a 40% 3 point shooter and I saw him in his big game against North Carolina where he went 9/12 from the field and 6/9 from 3 point for 24 points that night. The games I have seen him play he has a smooth shot and is deadly from 3 point. With Cam Johnson, Diallo, Green, and Alexander that will be 4 decent shooters from 3 point. To Add Vanderbilt and Washington which can also knock down the 3 we will have an outstanding shooting team next year.

But this is what you're telling that kid.

We have 4 guards already. You're coming in because it wouldn't hurt for competition or injury or in case someone underperforms.

You view yourself as a PG? We've got Green and Alexander in front of you.

Want to try yourself at SG? Diallo is the top SG in the class. You can compete with Baker for minutes, but Baker's more suited to the position because he's a better shooter.

But in 2-3 years, you'll definitely get minutes off the bench, and if the recruiting class falls the wrong way, you could even start.

I get it. It makes sense as an outsider to go to UK and play against a roster full of NBA talent. And I think more elite level kids think that way. Baker thinks that way.

But a lot of these lower ranked kids want to find a school where they can play early on and develop as they go, and hope they have a chance at the NBA. Riding the bench isn't as appealing, even at UK.

But this is what you're telling that kid.

We have 4 guards already. You're coming in because it wouldn't hurt for competition or injury or in case someone underperforms.

You view yourself as a PG? We've got Green and Alexander in front of you.

Want to try yourself at SG? Diallo is the top SG in the class. You can compete with Baker for minutes, but Baker's more suited to the position because he's a better shooter.

But in 2-3 years, you'll definitely get minutes off the bench, and if the recruiting class falls the wrong way, you could even start.

I get it. It makes sense as an outsider to go to UK and play against a roster full of NBA talent. And I think more elite level kids think that way. Baker thinks that way.

But a lot of these lower ranked kids want to find a school where they can play early on and develop as they go, and hope they have a chance at the NBA. Riding the bench isn't as appealing, even at UK.

No your not telling him (or any recruit) that. You don't tell any kid "well your behind these 2-3-4 guys". You say you will have an opportunity to compete for playing time, and here is who you are competing against. He hope and expect this competition will make you a better player.

I wanted Smith more than Baker. He seems more physically ready for the college game, with a more rounded game. Whereas Baker has a specific skill set that is valuable. I'm also not sure one or the other might not be able to leap ahead of SGA. Not saying I think that will happen, but I am saying that it reasonably could happen. Player rankings are FAR from perfect (Skal #1).

But I understand if he wants to pick a school where he will play significant minutes, maybe even start, right away. "UK isn't for everyone"

Reactions: Cats192
No your not telling him (or any recruit) that. You don't tell any kid "well your behind these 2-3-4 guys". You say you will have an opportunity to compete for playing time, and here is who you are competing against. He hope and expect this competition will make you a better player.

I wanted Smith more than Baker. He seems more physically ready for the college game, with a more rounded game. Whereas Baker has a specific skill set that is valuable. I'm also not sure one or the other might not be able to leap ahead of SGA. Not saying I think that will happen, but I am saying that it reasonably could happen. Player rankings are FAR from perfect (Skal #1).

But I understand if he wants to pick a school where he will play significant minutes, maybe even start, right away. "UK isn't for everyone"

Obviously that's not how you pitch it.
But that's reality.
And I think he's smart enough to look at UK's roster and realize he's a project here, and a day 1 starter at a lot of other places.

Illinois would be a smart move for Smith as they need players. He's a classic big 10 type player. Just don't believe Cal is the type of coach to best utilize Smith.

MSU lets their perimeter players run the offense ..Meyer sh know that.
Valentine,Green etc.

The illinois program is going to stink for a while anyway

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT