ADVERTISEMENT

Name the most random Wildcat

Lloyd (Mickey) Gibson. Former neighbor. Never knew, until he asked me to run over and help him move a desk. I walk into his office and there are a few pictures of him and coach Rupp, and some in-game photos. Blew my mind! Great guy!

1962-63freshmen.jpg

mickey_gibson.jpg
Sweet!

Todd Svoboda (edit: ....WOW LOL ^^^^^^^ great minds think alike ukfan041 LOL!!!)

Remember going crazy when he hit that 3 in the closing seconds in 1993 against Florida State...good times.

Last edited:
Reactions: ukfan041
Lloyd (Mickey) Gibson. Former neighbor. Never knew, until he asked me to run over and help him move a desk. I walk into his office and there are a few pictures of him and coach Rupp, and some in-game photos. Blew my mind! Great guy!

1962-63freshmen.jpg

mickey_gibson.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Gipson one of the Katzenjammer Kids along with Conley and Kron?

1962-63freshmen.jpg

mickey_gibson.jpg
Always enjoy stories like this. Similar for me, when i was in 7th grade (late 80's), we had this old guy that was a substitute teacher for my Spanish class for a couple days in a row. A friend of mine was talking to him about a couple things and after class, my friend says to me, "Do you know that guy played at Kentucky?" Ended up being Shelby Linville, 2nd leading scorer on 1951 title team. Of course, next time I had him as a substitute, I was the one up at the desk talking to him.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
What an azzhat he was. He's the only UK player I ever wanted to transfer. I sure was happy when he did.
One of the things that has always been interesting about him is he turned 20 halfway through his freshman year. By the time he graduated from Florida State, he was 24. Random that he also played 1 year in the NBA, on the 91 Lakers team that played in the Finals.

John Crigler. He was a teacher at my school for years before I realized he started for the Fiddlin' Five. Had 14 and 14 against Elgin Baylor's Seattle team. He even has a wiki page, which is truly the definition of immortality. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Crigler

He also was obsessive about picking up loose change, so people would glue pennies to the floor to mess with him. My screen name wasn't made for that, but I've retconned it to be a tribute.

I typically do this thread every offseason to pass the time. People seem to enjoy it in the past, and it produces some amazing names.

I will get the ball rolling with none other than

Rekalin Sims
We think alike OP. When I saw your title, Sims was the first one I thought of. Could be because Jon Scott just mentioned him in a tweet this week and I remember thinking I had completely forgot about that guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT