ADVERTISEMENT

My Theory on Cal's Decline

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
I think Calipari's edge left after he won that 2012 title. He had accomplished his dream. His confidence was stolen when that 2014-15 team lost to Wisconsin. He was left with fear of losing. And any hunger he had to win left when he got that lifetime contract. He was left just trying to protect what he had been given.

So, all he's left is protecting his paycheck and his legacy. He thinks his primary legacy is about making millionaires. But he's wrong about how he will be remembered for putting guys in the NBA. Nobody will care except for those guys. So, his real legacy is losing to St Peter's, Kansas St, and Oakland in consecutive seasons. And so, what's left? Protecting his paycheck at all costs. That's where we are.

Can he recover from this? I thought this season was his best shot, but his lack of any edge, confidence, and hunger left his team floundering to an NAIA team. Next year, with 6 freshmen coming in to face teams of 4th, 5th, and 6th year seniors and grad students, there is zero chance of recovery.

I think Calipari's edge left after he won that 2012 title. He had accomplished his dream. His confidence was stolen when that 2014-15 team lost to Wisconsin. He was left with fear. And any hunger he had to win left when he got that lifetime contract. He was left just trying to protect what he had been given.

So, all he's left is protecting his paycheck and his legacy. He thinks his primary legacy is about making millionaires. But he's wrong about how he will be remembered for putting guys in the NBA. Nobody will care except for those guys. So, his real legacy is losing to St Peter's, Kansas St, and Oakland in consecutive seasons. And so, what's left? Protecting his paycheck at all costs. That's where we are.

Can he recover from this? I thought this season was his best shot, but his lack of any edge, confidence, and hunger left his team floundering to an NAIA team. Next year, with 6 freshmen coming in to face teams of 4th, 5th, and 6th year seniors and grad students, there is zero chance of recovery.
I think you’re spot on! Sad thing is, UK basketball is f***ed until he’s gone! Another poster said this is worse than probation and I agree!

Last edited:
I think Calipari's edge left after he won that 2012 title. He had accomplished his dream. His confidence was stolen when that 2014-15 team lost to Wisconsin. He was left with fear. And any hunger he had to win left when he got that lifetime contract. He was left just trying to protect what he had been given.

The biggest issue for me is that UK is not a legit contender under him anymore. Teams and coaches do not fear UK. They do not dread to play UK.

Cal looks lost on the sidelines. You think any of those teams the last 3 years were worried? Coaches know how predictable Cal and UK are.

In years past, nobody wanted UK in their bracket. Now, nobody cares.

Cal is a dead man walking. Mitch has one year to find a list of replacements, put out feelers via back channels, etc.

Next year is going to be ugly. Lashing out in pressers, embarrasing losses. Tons of cliches about how we're young, my center is 17.

I agree with your theory. But I do think that the twins returning energized him. He was gone from here to re-take on the NBA. He had redeemed himself in the college game, and was gone to the lakers or cavs in 2014. Only thing left was to return to the NBA and go out on top with Lebron. When those guys came back it lit a fire under him to win a 2nd title. When he choked it, that fire was quickly gone, his NBA chance was also gone too. Couple in 2017, when he got hosed, he seemed to become bitter at the NCAA. Started pulling out of nike's tournaments, recruiting dipped in terms of getting top 5 elite guys, then after 2019's elite 8 loss? He completley fell apart, he shifted to mental health, I can't take their hearts, wanted to keep them engaged. I really believe Cal felt like he blew his chance at the NBA and is semi-depressed at himself for it. The 2015 title was supposed to be his mangum opus for passing on the NBA. It failed. 2017 he had another shot, it failed. He became bitter after that. 2019 finished him off, he shifted to let's just get these kids rich.

There has been so much said and a lot of speculation about what Mitch has said in the meeting, plus the unhappiness with the boosters when it comes to Cal. If any of it is true that this is the make or break year, any reasonable coach would feel the fire lit under their ass with their job on the line. I believe Cal has lost his edge and the game has past him by. Just don't have the faith in him to surround himself with the people on his staff to make up for where he lacks as a coach. He has never shown that he wants to listen to anyone. Frankly, I think the meeting was no different than the annual end of season meeting and just a bunch of smoke blown up our asses as to any real changes that would make a difference here under CCC.

The biggest issue for me is that UK is not a legit contender under him anymore. Teams and coaches do not fear UK. They do not dread to play UK.

Cal looks lost on the sidelines. You think any of those teams the last 3 years were worried? Coaches know how predictable Cal and UK are.

I agree with you. I will say this- Cal looked comfortable coaching at times this season. Going into Auburn and Tennessee and winning those games shows he was coaching pretty well. But man, once post-season hit, he tightened up and seemed scared to me. I can't explain it. How can the team that beat Tennessee in Knoxville, when they were on a roll, lose to freaking Oakland? He was wound so tight and so was the team. They could feel his fear of losing and they played the same way. That's my best explanation. I wish I had a solution.

How do you reinstill passion, hunger, and an edge to a 65 year old coach with a lifetime contract and a certainty of putting $33 million in the bank over the next 3 years? It can't come from external sources. It can only come from within himself. For his sake, I'd love to see him reclaim his heart and passion for winning, but I have zero confidence he can do it. I refuse to invest myself in another season under Cal. I just can't do it anymore. I'll probably record games and watch wins. I won't go or take family to any games or spend anything on UK. I'm done cheering and being emotionally invested. Not gonna let Cal ruin my day anymore. Expecting losses. Not getting upset about the team's losses. Just biding my time at this point.

Last edited:
I agree with you. I will say this- Cal looked comfortable coaching at times this season. Going into Auburn and Tennessee and winning those games shows he was coaching pretty well. But man, once post-season hit, he tightened up and seemed scared to me. I can't explain it. How can the team that beat Tennessee in Knoxville, when they were on a roll, lose to freaking Oakland? He was wound so tight and so was the team. They could feel his fear of losing and they played the same way. That's my best explanation. I wish I had a solution. How do you reinstill passion, hunger, and an edge to a 65 year old coach with a lifetime contract and a certainty of putting $33 million in the bank over the next 3 years? It can't come from external sources. It can only come from within himself. For his sake, I'd love to see him reclaim his heart and passion for winning, but I have zero confidence he can do it. I refuse to invest myself in another season under Cal. I just can't do it anymore. I'll probably record games and watch wins. I won't go or take family to any games or spend anything on UK. I'm done cheering and being emotionally invested. Not gonna let Cal ruin my day anymore. Expecting losses. Not getting upset about the team's losses. Just biding my time at this point.
I was of like mind last year , and then a kid I had a personal connection with decided to play for UK so it was “must see” for me this year. I could be a casual fan next year or “must see” again . Depends.

I was of like mind last year , and then a kid I had a personal connection with decided to play for UK so it was “must see” for me this year. I could be a casual fan next year or “must see” again . Depends.
I just can't even imagine what it would take for me to reinvest in UK under Cal at this point. If our best players returned (Reed would be at the top of that list) and we could find some real men in the transfer in to show some toughness, and maybe if Cal stopped worrying about hurting guys' feelings and all about winning again, and if I could actually SEE a real change, then maybe.

But look, we're losing 90% of this team and the only ones returning are probably the worst ones. And we've got 6 freshmen coming to take over, and 3 of them will probably start after Cal has made deals with their handlers. I'm so bitter right now, I just can't see any scenario that changes my attitude about it.

I just can't even imagine what it would take for me to reinvest in UK under Cal at this point. If our best players returned (Reed would be at the top of that list) and we could find some real men in the transfer in to show some toughness, and maybe if Cal stopped worrying about hurting guys' feelings and all about winning again, and if I could actually SEE a real change, then maybe.

But look, we're losing 90% of this team and the only ones returning are probably the worst ones. And we've got 6 freshmen coming to take over, and 3 of them will probably start after Cal has made deals with their handlers. I'm so bitter right now, I just can't see any scenario that changes my attitude about it.
Oh , I didn’t invest in Cal this past year, and never will again. I had no illusions we would compete for a championship. I did think we had a ceiling of sweet 16 though. I just enjoyed watching and “ enjoying the ride” . I’ll be that way next year too if a certain player returns. If not , I’ll be a casual fan .

The Wisconsin loss sucked the soul from his body and crushed a lot of BBN to the point of having a "Why bother, we're just going to lose anyway." attitude going forward. Cal put on weight, acted old, became lazy and content, and his boss awarded him with an insane extension. If we had beaten Wisconsin, then beat Duke and actually went 40-0, had a ninth title and Cal's second, I don't know if he retires then and there or if he gets even more energetic, tap dances all over college basketball, and screams to the masses "Don't like it? Stop us!" Think Swaggy Cal on steroids. I doubt he hangs around and talks about watching The Waltons and going to bed at 9pm like a granny.

I agree with you. I will say this- Cal looked comfortable coaching at times this season. Going into Auburn and Tennessee and winning those games shows he was coaching pretty well. But man, once post-season hit, he tightened up and seemed scared to me. I can't explain it. How can the team that beat Tennessee in Knoxville, when they were on a roll, lose to freaking Oakland? He was wound so tight and so was the team. They could feel his fear of losing and they played the same way. That's my best explanation. I wish I had a solution.

How do you reinstill passion, hunger, and an edge to a 65 year old coach with a lifetime contract and a certainty of putting $33 million in the bank over the next 3 years? It can't come from external sources. It can only come from within himself. For his sake, I'd love to see him reclaim his heart and passion for winning, but I have zero confidence he can do it. I refuse to invest myself in another season under Cal. I just can't do it anymore. I'll probably record games and watch wins. I won't go or take family to any games or spend anything on UK. I'm done cheering and being emotionally invested. Not gonna let Cal ruin my day anymore. Expecting losses. Not getting upset about the team's losses. Just biding my time at this point.
I think you said it earlier. He’s afraid to lose. He tightens up and the kids feed off of that. It seems like he actually dreads the post season. The pressure has really pushed him underwater.

My theory on his decline has always been that he lost his mojo when he lost his assistant coaches and peevy. I think they covered up his weaknesses. When they left he got exposed. I don’t know where robic is but I’d like to see him get the band back together. Payne is available and coach O is already here. He needs more support from everyone at this point because he’s miserable. He has to be. He needs people to say “we got you” so he can loosen up. His next staff better be the hardest working staff in the country. It’s vital.

I think Calipari's edge left after he won that 2012 title. He had accomplished his dream. His confidence was stolen when that 2014-15 team lost to Wisconsin. He was left with fear of losing. And any hunger he had to win left when he got that lifetime contract. He was left just trying to protect what he had been given.

Dude is a bigger moron than I thought, if he really thinks people will define his legacy with NBA players, and 1 title.

I honestly don’t think I’m he even enjoyed winning the title in 12. Unlike every other coach, there was no jumping and running and all that. He was just excited he was going to have something else to use when recruiting future talent.
The man is obsessed with recruiting and my only thought process on that is it was always his dream to go back to the pros at some point and win there. That’s what he really wanted but as the years went by and nobody came calling he realized his coaching years were numbered and not even the 499 players he’s got drafted could help him

I agree with OPs post tonight, but I have a problem with people like him posting this stuff now. Yeah, a lot of us have been saying this for 3-4 years now (at least). And treated like pariahs by OP and people like him for daring to even mention Cal or our program’s decline. For any of us that haven’t had our heads in the sand for 5 years it’s been pretty obvious. And I don’t mind people being late to the party but don’t talk down to me for 5 years then agree with me.

I honestly don’t think I’m he even enjoyed winning the title in 12. Unlike every other coach, there was no jumping and running and all that. He was just excited he was going to have something else to use when recruiting future talent.
The man is obsessed with recruiting and my only thought process on that is it was always his dream to go back to the pros at some point and win there. That’s what he really wanted but as the years went by and nobody came calling he realized his coaching years were numbered and not even the 499 players he’s got drafted could help him
He could've left in 2014. But he came back when the twins came back. He's been bitter ever since he lost in '15. Because not only did he lose his dominace over CBB, he also lost his chance at going to the NBA.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
I agree with OPs post tonight, but I have a problem with people like him posting this stuff now. Yeah, a lot of us have been saying this for 3-4 years now (at least). And treated like pariahs by OP and people like him for daring to even mention Cal or our program’s decline. For any of us that haven’t had our heads in the sand for 5 years it’s been pretty obvious. And I don’t mind people being late to the party but don’t talk down to me for 5 years then agree with me.
Hell, I recall me, you, and kyjeff1 were saying we gotta get older. And stop recruiting so many freshmen 4 years ago.

Man, just tell me your real feelings. :D So, I'm not allowed to agree with you if I didn't agree with you 5 years ago? Should I send you a picture and some darts? Hey, that picture in my profile is me. Just give it a go. It might help your anger toward me personally.

So, here's the thing. I'm just being honest with what I think. That's what I've been doing all along. This is a UK message board. We're all UK fans. We all want to win. Hopefully, all of us are posting our genuine thoughts and feelings at any given point. So, my genuine thoughts are now in agreement with you. Why not be happy about that? Or tell me to shut up, I guess, which you have.

Happy Easter man. I'm on your side. 😀

Man, just tell me your real feelings. :D So, I'm not allowed to agree with you if I didn't agree with you 5 years ago? Should I send you a picture and some darts? Hey, that picture in my profile is me. Just give it a go. It might help your anger toward me personally.

So, here's the thing. I'm just being honest with what I think. That's what I've been doing all along. This is a UK message board. We're all UK fans. We all want to win. Hopefully, all of us are posting our genuine thoughts and feelings at any given point. So, my genuine thoughts are now in agreement with you. Why not be happy about that? Or tell me to shut up, I guess, which you have.

I’m not mad at you man, I’m just saying it’s super frustrating to see something right in front of your face for 5 years and be treated like shit by people who act like they’re better fans than you for “being positive!”

Glad you came around. Happy Easter.

What’s crazy is co Nate Oats has an Alabama team, that trailed Kentucky by 35, in the Final Four. First in Alabama history.

It’s going to take a good while to recover from Cal has done to the program when he’s finally not the coach. It was better to just cut him loose so that process can begin.

Think Nate Oats wouldn’t feel comfortable jumping ship to Lexington after accomplishing that?

Reactions: IL Wildcat

Agree almost verbatum w/ one exception. I don't think Cal really believes his primary legacy is making millionaires, I believe he's just trying to get us to believe that

I've posted this several times. You are spot on.

Yeah, for the next year, he’s essentially a dead man walking.

Agree. There's no telling how many people have me on ignore because I started saying this stuff years ago. I was just really worried that exactly what's happened would happen.

Your takes are very thoughtful and well put. I agree with your perspective.

My biggest takeaway is that if as positive of a fan as you has that mindset, think about this fan base as a whole.. I thought I was a bad fan for just accepting what was happening with Cal and the current state of the program, but at some point one must just come to grips with the reality of the situation.

Cheers, my friend!

Just one correction IMHO, he doesn't need to protect his paycheck. He has no motivation at this point. Otherwise, good post and I think you are mostly spot on. '15 deflated him...

No he can’t recover from this. He’s had 5 years to recover and it’s getting worse. He’s not a good enough coach to recover. Not to mention that he refuses to change. That alone will bury him.

That’s exactly right. We are nothing more than paper tigers. Teams know how to exploit our weaknesses and know if we aren’t hit the first 10 minutes of a game that they have us.

Reactions: deplion

I have to agree. It's a sad day.

As the goat, Saban, says he ate the rat poison. He got the ring, the HOF, and the massive contract that also took away being accountability….and decided to just get away from the grind and try to market/buzzword his way going through the motions. He covers it all up with these virtue signaling comments about “these kids” and “we have done so much in this state”.

Last edited:
2019. One bounce of the ball in overtime, and the Cats are in a Final Four. That's why I don't understand people pointing back to 2015 or 2012. It's the last 4-5 years that have been maddening.

For what it's worth, I do think you've done a very nice job with moderating the board during probably the worst of times in recent memory. At times, your take could be a bit different than mine, but I always appreciate a differing opinion, as long as it's respectful. Passion is thick around here and considering the difficult times, yours has been a job well done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT