ADVERTISEMENT

My punter plan

sobester

Freshman
Mar 21, 2012
First off, this is my plan and you can’t use it. Anyway, if I have my kid practice nothing but punting while the other kids are playing multiple sports or competing with a million other qbs and shortstops, isn’t there a good chance he’ll be an elite punter?

First off, this is my plan and you can’t use it. Anyway, if I have my kid practice nothing but punting while the other kids are playing multiple sports or competing with a million other qbs and shortstops, isn’t there a good chance he’ll be an elite punter?
That punter plan is very similar to the plan an old co-worker of mine had: the place kicker plan. This was about 15-18 yrs ago, when the kid was 12 ish. Last I heard the kid is a successful equine dental assistant in the Lexington area.

Edit: I don't believe he was even the pk for his h.s. team

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
That punter plan is very similar to the plan an old co-worker of mine had: the place kicker plan. This was about 15-18 yrs ago, when the kid was 12 ish. Last I heard the kid is a successful equine dental assistant in the Lexington area.

Edit: I don't believe he was even the pk for his h.s. team
Well that’s not what I want to hear. I als had a plan for him to be the greatest American born cricket player. Maybe I shoul re-visit that.

You do that and I’ll do the long snapper plan with my son…much better chance of being an elite long snapper than an elite punter.

That worked for Will Reichard. He won a punt, pass and kick contest as a 12 or 13 year old. I don't think he tried to do anything else. I know his grandparents on his mother's side.

So are you teaching Aussie style or regular. I would go with both.

A little bit.
I mean, a kid from my home town earned second team all-conference in Ohio as his biggest accomplishment in high school. But he could long snap like a SOB. Walked on at Ohio State as a long snapper and started for 3 years, including their 2002 national championship. He even signed a free agent contract with the Steelers (although he never made the team).

Reactions: sobester
We went the Long Snapper route with my nephew 7 years ago. I would advise anyone to follow that path if they have a young man interested in football and are going to be between 5'11" and 6'2'. It is a million dollar a year position in the NFL.

All he did was Long Snap. He graduated last year earning Gainesville Area Scholar Athlete of the Year, First team All Region as an Athlete, Florida Honorable Mention All State and Ray Guy All American for two years. He is at West Florida redshirting this past season. They were Division II Champions in 2019. He had one misfire in four years. Could not get UK to even sniff him.

He wants to be a dermatologist and has an internship with The Florida branch of Dr. James Andrews Orthopedic practice.

All that from Snapping a ball.

Just go the bowling route. No defense, no weather, just you (well your son), the ball, and the pins.

Reactions: THE_OAK
Just go the bowling route. No defense, no weather, just you (well your son), the ball, and the pins.

Ernie McCracken approves.

giphy.gif

Reactions: cats2010
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT