ADVERTISEMENT

My God, the Four-Corners...

Here's the weird thing about the four corners: Besides that abuse of the rules, Smith was actually an uptempo coach, and he might have been helped when the four corners was legislated out of the game. He coached with a shot clock from 85-86 through 96-97, and he went 328-89, with 4 Final Fours and a title. 6 of those 12 teams averaged over 85 ppg.

Speaking of stalling, last night's final score: Virginia 46, Maine 26. The 2 teams combined to hit 25/87 FG attempts.

Tony Bennett is trying to set basketball back 100 years. I think he wants to go back to having a jump ball after every made basket.

Reactions: uky8unc5
I almost forgot about this game in 1983 Kentucky 24 Cincinnati 11...

16298-D53-A6-B7-4-DCF-A466-04387-C737-B22.jpg

Reactions: uky8unc5
Then K picked up right where Dean left off, in regards to ruining college basketball. If it isn't flopping, it's flailing. If it isn't flailing, it's head snapping. If it isn't head snapping, it's tripping. If it isn't tripping, it's floor slapping. If it isn't floor slapping, it's douchebaggery. And etc., etc.
Just licked your avatar man that screen cleaner tatses awful.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
You could understand the less talented team trying to shorten the game & give the more talented opponent less possessions by running the four corners. Like when Cincinnati did it against UK during I believe the 1983-84 season. It was awful to watch that garbage. But it was understandable.... What's not understandable is why Dean Smith & UNC who all ways had more talent than the team they were playing. Why would this idiot try to shorten the game by playing stall ball (the four corners). It let the other team keep the game close, and the last 1 or 2 minutes of a close game anything can happen. As I recall Smith & UNC lost the 1977 national championship game when after having the lead. Smith went to his 4 corners & UNC lost it's momentum & lost to Marquette..... It could not have happen to a more deserving cheater than Dean Smith.

You could understand the less talented team trying to shorten the game & give the more talented opponent less possessions by running the four corners. Like when Cincinnati did it against UK during I believe the 1983-84 season. It was awful to watch that garbage. But it was understandable.... What's not understandable is why Dean Smith & UNC who all ways had more talent than the team they were playing. Why would this idiot try to shorten the game by playing stall ball (the four corners). It let the other team keep the game close, and the last 1 or 2 minutes of a close game anything can happen. As I recall Smith & UNC lost the 1977 national championship game when after having the lead. Smith went to his 4 corners & UNC lost it's momentum & lost to Marquette..... It could not have happen to a more deserving cheater than Dean Smith.
Remember that 77 Championship well. We were in Okinawa packing comm gear for a cruise(marines). Had the game on the radio blasting across the dock . A fellow jarhead from Asheville was so pissed over that loss he wouldn't talk to me for a week . When his tongue unfroze he laid the loss at the feet of Dean for the four corners. He was tore up pretty bad. Good times.

Absolutely. His two titles were both complete flukes. One a ncsu player weirdly passes it to worthy thinking he was a teammate. The other was Webber's historical time out technical
It was actually Georgetown when Freddie Brown threw the ball to Michael Jordan but your point is well taken. No one, and I mean non one in College Basketball did less with outstanding talent. UK was 12 points better than UNC in 1993 when we lost to Michigan in the FF that year so he caught another break there.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
It was actually Georgetown when Freddie Brown threw the ball to Michael Jordan but your point is well taken. No one, and I mean non one in College Basketball did less with outstanding talent. UK was 12 points better than UNC in 1993 when we lost to Michigan in the FF that year so he caught another break there.

He threw the ball to James Worthy after Jordan hit the go-ahead shot. Ewing gave UNC 10 points on goaltendings alone, and they still only won by one point (with Jordan, Perkins, and Worthy on the team).

Ahhhh thanks for the correction.

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
He threw the ball to James Worthy after Jordan hit the go-ahead shot. Ewing gave UNC 10 points on goaltendings alone, and they still only won by one point (with Jordan, Perkins, and Worthy on the team).
I've been thinking for the longest time it was Jordan but thanks for the correction. Regardless, it was one of the most stunning plays I've seen in a FF.

it has already been mentioned, but Tennessee and Cincinnati also played "stall ball", especially against us. However, I don't believe it worked in their favor like it did for UNC. We won most, if not all, of those games. They were horrible to watch though.

there would be a silver lining to that style today though. it was played in the era before media timeouts. Since there was no play, there were no whistles, thus no commercials! It would drive the TV networks crazy though...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT