ADVERTISEMENT

Went to the Purdue game last night ...

Yea I personally enjoy having a great, fun time when going to a sporting event as opposed to feeling like I’m at an anniversary screening of Schindler’s List.
If your idea of having a great time is being loud just because you can then we aren’t of the same ilk. I live near a big park. Some kids scream constantly for no good reason, like they think screaming makes everything more fun. I didn’t understand that when I was little and I don’t understand it as an adult. Do you also enjoy setting off fireworks every night for two weeks before forth of July and every night for two weeks after?

It was so refreshing to experience the following things:

1. A wild, engaged, rowdy crowd with a large student section near the court. Against Penn State. Not IU, Duke, Gonzaga, but Penn State.

2. A modern offense. Three-pointers were flying from everywhere (both teams, actually) as Zach Edey touched the ball nearly every possession, drew a double-team and either scored or kicked it out to an open shooter. He didn't have another non-shooting big clogging the lane with him.

3. A team filled with in-state Mr. Basketball and Mr. Basketball Runners-Up (plus their All American star) passing, cutting, working their asses off on defense, and having fun. Not saying UK needs to fill its roster with that profile, it was just nice to see. Felt like the days when basketball was pure. Tons of communication between players, and guys taking serious pride in defensive stops.

4. A coach that didn't scream, point to every spot on the floor to micro-manage players' every movement, or sub every time a player made a mistake.

5. A dominant performance that you'd expect from the #1 ranked team. They didn't mail it in, sleep-walk, or come out sluggish. Wire to wire, the place was bonkers and Purdue was out for blood.

6. Great plays being run to get guys open - Shrewsberry did it, too, his players were just out-matched - especially out of bounds plays or right out of a timeout.

7. The feeling that every possession mattered.

I could go on ... and say what you want about Matt Painter not getting to a Final Four .... blah blah blah ... but ....

... Kentucky basketball needs a re-boot on many levels, and it starts with John Calipari, friends. I was one of his biggest supporters when he arrived, and feel like the used car salesman tricked me and made me look like a fool to my friends years later. It is what it is. I enjoyed the ride, but it's time to move on.

Additionally, Rupp Arena just has to change. It needs to become a modern college basketball arena. Purists can point to "Big Game Rupp" and whatever, but you're hanging onto something that (a) isn't as big as you want it to be, and (b) should exist most games like it does elsewhere, creating a true home court advantage. Mackey Arena is nicer than Rupp, has far more amenities for fans in the concourse, lounges for people to watch other games, socialize and drink at halftime, and booster rooms where that crowd is treated like kings. I'm sure there are many more around the country that are similar. The blue hairs have soft leather chairs with high backs behind the media tables and they didn't seem to mind the noise/craziness. Former Purdue president and Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels was one of them.

Sucks to feel this way about UK basketball after nearly 40 years of watching every game, investing enormous sums of money to support the program, and wanting to raise my boys to enjoy it like I did growing up. This program is a shell of what it was, and what it could be. It's currently just a quick stop for AAU stars before trying to get on an NBA team.
yeah and purdue will lose to a 9 seed in the ncaa tournament

If your idea of having a great time is being loud just because you can then we aren’t of the same ilk. I live near a big park. Some kids scream constantly for no good reason, like they think screaming makes everything more fun. I didn’t understand that when I was little and I don’t understand it as an adult. Do you also enjoy setting off fireworks every night for two weeks before forth of July and every night for two weeks after?
I must say, you’re putting off a definite grumpy old curmudgeon vibe in this thread. Personally, I’ve always thought games were more entertaining when the court is surrounded by young people jumping up and down and looking very alive …rather than old people sitting on their hands looking half awake.

But, hey, to each his own…

In fairness if we were ranked #1 right now, no one would be talking about the Peacocks and we'd be having fun too. Unfortunately bubble boy has us teetering.

LOL y’all are never gonna let Cal live down that loss, if UK was undefeated you’d still be bitching about it. Meanwhile you slurp the guy who lost to the same team.

Reactions: KYFOSSIL
Music should be loud, sports cars should be loud, sex should be loud, roller coasters should be loud, screaming into the void should be loud. After that the list gets a lot more diluted. I’ve always liked quiet. Noise is stressful. Quiet is relaxing. Quiet allows a lot more thought. I get the suspicion that loud people aren’t that familiar with the concept of deep thought.

Last edited:
Oh btw, I was sometimes pretty loud too from 16-22. Do you really want to model your ideals and behaviors around those of teenagers and inebriated college kids? Everyone is running their own race. You chase that finish line.

LOL y’all are never gonna let Cal live down that loss, if UK was undefeated you’d still be bitching about it. Meanwhile you slurp the guy who lost to the same team.
Well, I don't know know who 'y'all' is, and I couldn't give a damn about Matt Painter, but if this team hadn't gone from pre-season top 5 to bubbleville, it wouldn't have been brought up nearly as much.

Reactions: ManitouDan

1. A wild, engaged, rowdy crowd with a large student section near the court. Against Penn State. Not IU, Duke, Gonzaga, but Penn State.

2. A modern offense. Three-pointers were flying from everywhere (both teams, actually) as Zach Edey touched the ball nearly every possession, drew a double-team and either scored or kicked it out to an open shooter. He didn't have another non-shooting big clogging the lane with him.

3. A team filled with in-state Mr. Basketball and Mr. Basketball Runners-Up (plus their All American star) passing, cutting, working their asses off on defense, and having fun. Not saying UK needs to fill its roster with that profile, it was just nice to see. Felt like the days when basketball was pure. Tons of communication between players, and guys taking serious pride in defensive stops.

4. A coach that didn't scream, point to every spot on the floor to micro-manage players' every movement, or sub every time a player made a mistake.

5. A dominant performance that you'd expect from the #1 ranked team. They didn't mail it in, sleep-walk, or come out sluggish. Wire to wire, the place was bonkers and Purdue was out for blood.

6. Great plays being run to get guys open - Shrewsberry did it, too, his players were just out-matched - especially out of bounds plays or right out of a timeout.

I could go on ... and say what you want about Matt Painter not getting to a Final Four .... blah blah blah ... but ....

... Kentucky basketball needs a re-boot on many levels, and it starts with John Calipari, friends. I was one of his biggest supporters when he arrived, and feel like the used car salesman tricked me and made me look like a fool to my friends years later. It is what it is. I enjoyed the ride, but it's time to move on.

Additionally, Rupp Arena just has to change. It needs to become a modern college basketball arena. Purists can point to "Big Game Rupp" and whatever, but you're hanging onto something that (a) isn't as big as you want it to be, and (b) should exist most games like it does elsewhere, creating a true home court advantage. Mackey Arena is nicer than Rupp, has far more amenities for fans in the concourse, lounges for people to watch other games, socialize and drink at halftime, and booster rooms where that crowd is treated like kings. I'm sure there are many more around the country that are similar. The blue hairs have soft leather chairs with high backs behind the media tables and they didn't seem to mind the noise/craziness. Former Purdue president and Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels was one of them.

Sucks to feel this way about UK basketball after nearly 40 years of watching every game, investing enormous sums of money to support the program, and wanting to raise my boys to enjoy it like I did growing up. This program is a shell of what it was, and what it could be. It's currently just a quick stop for AAU stars before trying to get on an NBA team.
Well Purdue has always been a basketball juggernaut, while UK has been trying to get on their level for years. You think Purdue is the face of college basketball now?

"And remind me the last time ...." That's the response I would expect from a teenager or someone still blinded by 2010-2015 thinking those days are right around the corner with yet another hyped up recruiting class.

If you think Calipari runs anything resembling modern basketball, you must not watch anything other than Kentucky games.

Purdue not getting to a Final Four has nothing to do with my post or where the UK program currently sits with no bright future ahead.

I agree.

But, in a more mature question, I think its fair to say that while Purdue is definitely great this year, could it not be more or a byproduct of a bunch of things falling into place on the right squad more so than some great culture they've built? The how many FFs question is legit in the sense that this may be more lightning in a biddle than anything. This is a genuine question and not a smart ass remark as you've seen them at least 1 game more than me lol. For example...if they lost Edey tomorrow, how good would they be? If their star shooters suddenly laying bricks.

I ask this because every good team is held back by unforseen circumstances. Look at Fredrick being cold as ice and/or injured in years like this year or last year where him being what he was billed as could have been the difference maker. Or look at our 2015 team who, while nearly perfect, lost a key player when we needed him most. Or imagine if Hopkins doesn't bitch out and comes back and does what he's doing now but next to Oscar?

So while I definitely acknowledge Purdue is a great team, I am curious if it's more of a 1 off because of Edey and some other players just gelling and being a good team, not by "luck" per say, but more lightning in a bottle. Will they be this good in 4 years because of this "culture" or will they drift off into obscurity while the Kentuckys and the Dukes and the Kansas' find their footings through ups and downs of dynasties.

I agree.

But, in a more mature question, I think its fair to say that while Purdue is definitely great this year, could it not be more or a byproduct of a bunch of things falling into place on the right squad more so than some great culture they've built? The how many FFs question is legit in the sense that this may be more lightning in a biddle than anything. This is a genuine question and not a smart ass remark as you've seen them at least 1 game more than me lol. For example...if they lost Edey tomorrow, how good would they be? If their star shooters suddenly laying bricks.

I ask this because every good team is held back by unforseen circumstances. Look at Fredrick being cold as ice and/or injured in years like this year or last year where him being what he was billed as could have been the difference maker. Or look at our 2015 team who, while nearly perfect, lost a key player when we needed him most. Or imagine if Hopkins doesn't bitch out and comes back and does what he's doing now but next to Oscar?

So while I definitely acknowledge Purdue is a great team, I am curious if it's more of a 1 off because of Edey and some other players just gelling and being a good team, not by "luck" per say, but more lightning in a bottle. Will they be this good in 4 years because of this "culture" or will they drift off into obscurity while the Kentuckys and the Dukes and the Kansas' find their footings through ups and downs of dynasties.
Here’s the deal … and having been here 20+ years I should have known better …

My experience at the Purdue game was merely an EXAMPLE. It was refreshing to see so many things at a college basketball game that UK used to resemble.

I could have said Arizona, Xavier, insert other team here … but more than not chose to bag on Purdue. Instead of acknowledging the issues with UK’s program, coach, and arena.

Predictable.

Agree with you. Excellent post.

I’m more curious. I looked and 74ppg puts them at 131st in the nation in scoring…32 spots behind us.

They are 201st in the nation in 3pt % (we are 59). Aren’t even in the top 250 in attempted 3’s.

They start 2 bigs that can’t shoot from the outside.

Appears that they play great defense and only allow 60ppg (10th in the nation)

I’m not arguing with a lot of what the OP says, but do they really run a modern offense? Those stats kind of suggest they play tough D and grind out wins on offense through the big guy.
Depends on what you’re calling a modern offense. I think a lot of people believe “modern” means they Jack up perimeter shots all night but that’s not it. The sets they run, usually zoom action, pull 4/5 men out all moving, screening, or cutting which is very modern. They post a lot when the big rejects the down screen or rolls off the handoff. That’s modern and a lot different than the high/low or screen across for the post offenses of the past. They come off the handoff looking to shoot a 3 if the trailer goes under and drive if he’s over, while the offside guy sets up for a corner 3. Those are modern principles.

I guess it comes down to what people are calling a “modern” offense. Modern doesn’t necessarily mean shoot a bunch of threes and play a defense that hurries the offense into taking a quick shot. Their defense is solid and uses up a lot of clock so I’m sure that takes away from their scoring as well.

Reactions: cathouse

Think you need to become a become a big fan of Purdue and leave UK behind.
Purdue had a great history and you could be part of it going forward

"And remind me the last time ...." That's the response I would expect from a teenager or someone still blinded by 2010-2015 thinking those days are right around the corner with yet another hyped up recruiting class.

If you think Calipari runs anything resembling modern basketball, you must not watch anything other than Kentucky games.

Purdue not getting to a Final Four has nothing to do with my post or where the UK program currently sits with no bright future ahead.
BS

Interesting, well-written analysis that we do not get here very often. I enjoyed reading your comments, although do not necessarily agree totally with a couple of your points. They are really good, thought-provoking things that at least offer us -- your interested reading audience -- some steak and potatoes and not just plain yogurt!

While I too have tired of "Calipari speak" and of his philosophy and of his in-game coaching, I do not think it is time yet for him to go. As a former basketball coach myself, I have seen some great coaching moves this year as in others, so I know he is not totally inept as some would think or imply. In my almost 67 years, I have learned lots from that planetary experience, but nearly most of all, I learned the value of patience. Compassion is important too, for we are not perfect, and seeing this less-than-stellar situation "big picture" instead of a micro view with a focus of "what have you done for me lately?" way of thinking.

That said, I am not at all happy with the present state of affairs or those of the past several years, starting with our shocking loss -- thanks in large part to Cal himself -- against Wisconsin. We have done a lot of losing since then, and it is remarkable how players leaving or transferring have become all magically much better (long list of names on that list). I do think he needs to re-tool and re-boot to a more modern business model, and find whatever he's doing to some of these kids to make them less effective than they are. His arrogance likely will never permit that to happen. For now, he's received a significant dose of humble pie, and that in effect has taken him out of the starting lineup of great coaches and put him on the "bench." It cannot feel good.

The next nine games are as much a test for him as it is for his kids -- our boys. They are my sons too, not just his. I hope we get something close to the desired result...as a coach, unfortunately, I have to report my skepticism for this team to make big changes necessary down the stretch to be close to our goals. I have not seen the intangibles required to be an elite team, but do feel that there is still time for us to feel a little more optimism and hope for this team and that of next year.

A specific on the crowd and seating...when I attended UK (74-78), I went to every game. Beginning with our win over Wisconsin 72-64 in 1976 for the very first game at Rupp, students were seated in the middle (Section 31 & adjacent sections) down low on row "A" and above, so we were able to be on the side at mid-court very close to the floor. Row "A" was just above court side rows, which were about the first five from the floor (same as today). That changed obviously due to money being a primary factor, with students being moved to seats not quite as nice and not quite as good in affecting the fortunes of the visiting team. We were rowdy too, giving the likes of Dale Brown and every other coach and teams all kinds of hell. There truly was a home court advantage because of the student seating of old. Our kids deserve better than the seats they get now at Rupp...bring back Section 31!

Let's hope Kentucky runs the table, wins 18 in a row, and wins number nine! GBB!

Last edited:
Reactions: BCD and NostraDanis

I like watching games at Mackey, it’s a good place to catch a game. Couple of my friends graduated there and I watched many games in the student section.

The number of people who willingly bury their heads in the sand and come up with excuse after excuse to claim the game hasn't passed Calipari by, always amazes me.
And anyone who thinks the home game atmosphere at Rupp is good are just delusional. One or two games have been good atmospheres this season, that's it. How many total sellouts has UK had this year? I mean games where every seat was taken with thousands more dying to get in?
How many games have fans walked out of Rupp saying "What a great environment, my ears are ringing, that was awesome!"
OP, I totally get your comments and many here have been saying the same thing for quite a while. The program needs a reboot.

The number of people who willingly bury their heads in the sand and come up with excuse after excuse to claim the game hasn't passed Calipari by, always amazes me.
And anyone who thinks the home game atmosphere at Rupp is good are just delusional. One or two games have been good atmospheres this season, that's it. How many total sellouts has UK had this year? I mean games where every seat was taken with thousands more dying to get in?
How many games have fans walked out of Rupp saying "What a great environment, my ears are ringing, that was awesome!"
OP, I totally get your comments and many here have been saying the same thing for quite a while. The program needs a reboot.
Do you have season tickets?

Do you have season tickets?
Did until 4-5 years ago but fewer and fewer of our friends were going to games, SEC tourney and NCAA it just wasn't the same anymore. Plus, the home schedule has gotten steadily worse. Some friends no longer even watch games on TV. Calipari's attitude towards fans, style of play and poor results have run a lot of longtime fans off.
I've been to the occasional game in Rupp since but, usually just get tickets that are not going to be used . It's very easy to get in to a home game now if you really want to go.

Our kids deserve better than the seats they get now at Rupp...bring back Section 31!
"Bring back Section 31" is a slogan I could get behind! I was in the 8th row of Section 31 when Rex lit up UL, and many other great games after camping out for those 3-game tickets. Today's students deserve to have a chance for that experience. I'll bet that having just that one section for students would change the atmosphere.

No one needs to tell me it will never happen; I know. $$$ rules all. But it's nice to dream ... or remember.

GBB!

great place to watch a game they haven't got them banners that could block your view

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT