ADVERTISEMENT

My God, the Four-Corners...

onearmedjesus

Sophomore
Jan 13, 2003
was one of the worst things to ever hit college basketball. I had forgotten how bad it was. I just watched the 1982 Final Four (Worthy could jump through the roof and Ewing was a beast as a freshman, while Olajuwon showed glimmers of what he would become), and the biggest takeaway was the crowd booing as UNC went to this offensive "offense." The shot clock saved us from this abomination.

Dean Smith about ruined college basketball with his dumb azz four corners
Then K picked up right where Dean left off, in regards to ruining college basketball. If it isn't flopping, it's flailing. If it isn't flailing, it's head snapping. If it isn't head snapping, it's tripping. If it isn't tripping, it's floor slapping. If it isn't floor slapping, it's douchebaggery. And etc., etc.

There was a game that was 7-0 at the half. Don't there was any stoppage during the half. TV people pitched a fit. They were paying good money for tv rights getting trash in return. Thank goodness the shot clock came around. The great innovative Dean Smith brought this about. At one time at the end of U K game we held the ball an U K fans would boo our own team!

Reactions: uky8unc5
The four corners was nothing but chicken ball. Dean Smith wasted more talent than hollywood streets have.

The most chickenshit “strategy” in the history of sports. It’s no different than punching someone in the nose & then running away, telling everyone you won the fight. I’ve never understood how fans could be proud of that & not be perpetually embarrassed.

Dean Smith was a fraud.

Dean Smyth.

BTW, the funniest thing was after Dean died, Roy tried to do a tribute by having his team do the 4 corners but the fans watching the game had NO idea of what was going on. Most of them had never actually seen that crap and were clueless. It was the perfect tribute to the scumbag, Deano.

Last edited:
College basketballs lowest scoring game of all time: Duke vs NCState 12-10 in 1968. Duke one upped Dean.

The most chickenshit “strategy” in the history of sports. It’s no different than punching someone in the nose & then running away, telling everyone you won the fight. I’ve never understood how fans could be proud of that & not be perpetually embarrassed.
I always thought that anyone using the "Four Cowards" was already conceding that their team was inferior to their opponent.

North Carolina and Virginia were ranked 1&2 and they played a game where the the majority of minutes was spent with both teams playing the four corners . It was unbelievable .
I remember the game. I was in the Seaton Center when the game started, and after an hour of working out I checked the score and it was something like 16-12 in the second half. I thought there had been some delay until I saw what was happening.

Does anyone remember the 1979 NIT game at Rupp against Clemson? Some friends and I camped out for tickets then Clemson pulled the same thing for the biggest part of the game.
I was there. We lost to UT twice and lost to them yet a 3rd time in the reinstated SEC tournament. And then Clemson in Rupp.

I hate anything that is orange!

I was there. We lost to UT twice and lost to them yet a 3rd time in the reinstated SEC tournament. And then Clemson in Rupp.

I hate anything that is orange!
We lost to UT after upsetting LSU in the SECT, however, Dwight Anderson broke his arm and left us short handed. The entire year was a mess as Chuck Alexsinas left the team after the UKIT and it's a wonder we finished 19-12. The Clemson game was just a bad ending to a subpar season.

Funny thing about that UT game with the Vols going 4 corners helped UK regain their legs and force OT before eventually falling to the Vols.

Digger pulled the same stunt vs UK in Freedom Hall one season.

Damn good find.

IIRC, when UNC beat UK in the East RF back in '77, they had jumped out to a sizeable lead, something like 53-42 at the half. It wasn't until the 2H that they broke out the FC to win 79-72. Then followed that up the following week at the FF beating UNLV scoring into the 80s or 90s for that game. The FC ended up costing them the title that season when they led Marquette but went stall ball and allowed the Warriors(best cbk uni) to make a comeback and eventually win the game.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT