ADVERTISEMENT

My fellow Louisvillians…

Most of the events just don't have the draw they used to with the exception of The Derby and Thunder of course.

exotic cars and coffee seemed like it’d be cool. But i didn’t go. The biggest act they brought in was JD Shelbourne and im pretty sure he just has a hut down there just in case they need a country singer. Oh and they got an AC/DC cover band from Jeffersonville 🙄

How about we retire the great steamboat race? When was the last time anyone cared about that?

Let's get rid of it because a few people don't like it, smh. If it was a sunny and warm day yesterday it would've been packed. Most of the festival events are cool if the weather cooperates.

That ship has sailed. Unless I am going to the YUM Center for something or the Palace I am not going anywhere near downtown.

I actually go downtown all the time. Walked a couple miles at river front yesterday morning. NULU / Butchertown is building up like crazy.

I think the most recent shooting had a pretty big impact on attendance.

On the parade though, it’s gone to shit. Whole thing needs to be revamped. Should get every neighborhood in Louisville involved. Something has to change. There were literally 2 people in stands for have the parade.

Let's get rid of it because a few people don't like it, smh. If it was a sunny and warm day yesterday it would've been packed. Most of the festival events are cool if the weather cooperates.

I don’t know about that. I’m not hating on the events, but the quality of parade has slipped. It just has.

It’s time to retire the Pegasus Parade

Remember when they totally ignored offering grand marshall honors to UK when they won the championship? Instead, they gave it to Cindy Lauper. Yea so EFF anything to do with Looieville and downtown.

Reactions: Spica Orbit
Downtown Louisville is not safe no matter what the politicians say. Homeless drug addicts all over the place. Some of these are aggressive beggars and some violent while high. Then you have the gangs shooting each other up every weekend and a police force that is 225 cops short so they can't control it. There was a mass shooting at Chickasaw park a few days ago with "hundreds" of witnesses but none will talk to the police. No thanks.

Last edited:
Downtown Louisville is not safe no matter what the politicians say. Homeless drug addicts all over the place. Some of these are aggressive beggars and some violent while high. Then you have the gangs shooting each other up every weekend and a police force that is 225 cops short so they can't control it. There was a mass shooting at Chickasaw park a few days ago with "hundreds" of witnesses but none will talk to the police. No thanks.

Chickasaw Park isn’t downtown. Is walking around a suburban neighborhood safer than downtown? Yea generally. Is there 10x more to do downtown than vinyl village in Fern Creek. Yes, also true.

But different strokes for different folk, etc

Wife and I went to the balloon glow Friday night and it was packed. I think weather likely had a pretty large affect on the attendance of the parade.

Reactions: KAB Cats
It’s time to retire the Pegasus Parade
And Thunder Over Louisville, the chow wagon, the Derby...all of it. I hate it all. I'm tired of all the roads constantly being shut down for these things. They shut down I65 for thunder. It's a federal interstate!!! And they just shut it down and divert you 30 miles out of your way.
And when I was a kid there was no escaping the Derby coverage. Cause you only got 3 TV stations. And all the school activities centered around it, too.
I'm sure I'll catch hell for that but I don't care.

• Love
Reactions: 55wildcat
Is walking around a suburban neighborhood safer than downtown? Yea generally. Is there 10x more to do downtown than vinyl village in Fern Creek. Yes, also true.

This Louisville murder map shows the most dangerous areas of the city. It's a similar pattern every year and getting worse. Plenty of other violent crimes rising too. It's not some marginal difference. I used to love doing things downtown but it's changed dramatically in terms of safety over the last decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: 55wildcat
And Thunder Over Louisville, the chow wagon, the Derby...all of it. I hate it all. I'm tired of all the roads constantly being shut down for these things. They shut down I65 for thunder. It's a federal interstate!!! And they just shut it down and divert you 30 miles out of your way.
And when I was a kid there was no escaping the Derby coverage. Cause you only got 3 TV stations. And all the school activities centered around it, too.
I used to enjoy the chow wagons when they had them in various places in the county. They shut those down when people stopped going downtown, it was a way to force business down there. Downtown is another shooting / thug riot waiting to happen. I'm 1000 % with you. The only time I go downtown is to Norton's Hospital and that's rarely. They can have that place and all that goes with it as far as I'm concerned.

I used to enjoy the chow wagons when they had them in various places in the county. They shut those down when people stopped going downtown, it was a way to force business down there. Downtown is another shooting / thug riot waiting to happen. I'm 1000 % with you. The only time I go downtown is to Norton's Hospital and that's rarely. They can have that place and all that goes with it as far as I'm concerned.
The chow wagon, now, is damned robbery. I can eat at Ruth's Chris cheaper than I can get a brat and a watered down beer at the chow wagon. And you've always got those few extra, odd, tokens. The ones you can't spend. They engineered it that way.
And yeah, the crime is absurd. Even though I carry concealed, I still don't like it. If I had to shoot an attacker I'd at the very least lose my firearm and spend thousands on an attorney.

I actually go downtown all the time. Walked a couple miles at river front yesterday morning. NULU / Butchertown is building up like crazy.

I think the most recent shooting had a pretty big impact on attendance.

On the parade though, it’s gone to shit. Whole thing needs to be revamped. Should get every neighborhood in Louisville involved. Something has to change. There were literally 2 people in stands for have the parade.

Which shooting? There are so many it's impossible to track. While Andy was in town after the bank shooting, talking about how safe it was, there was another double murder a few blocks away.

Then the throngs of homeless drug addicts that at times are absolutely a danger to themselves or others. The new plan won't work because it's too compassionate. They already made all shelters low barrier and still the streets just pile up and tent cities pop up. Invoke current law and remove these people from the streets and into forced dry out. To those crying that isn't compassionate - it's the only truly compassionate thing for those poor folks.

The whole thing is way beyond out of control. Im downtown often and still really enjoy it but I totally get why residents choose elsewhere. The vast majority of downtown patrons are tourists or conference goers which thankfully help keep those hospitality businesses going

The homelessness is a big part of it, I think, along with Louisville's high rate of violent crime. We used to look forward to WineFest every year, but this year it's over on Mellwood. Last year was at Slugger Field. The whole point of the thing was to hang out down at the Belvedere or Waterfront by the Chow Wagon and watch the Steamboat race. It also doesn't help that so many other entertainment options exist. A parade just can't compete unless it's something really special, which the Pegasus Parade hasn't been in years.

This Louisville murder map shows the most dangerous areas of the city. It's a similar pattern every year and getting worse. Plenty of other violent crimes rising too. It's not some marginal difference. I used to love doing things downtown but it's changed dramatically in terms of safety over the last decade.

Like I said, it’s different strokes. I don’t enjoy living far away from everything. It’s why I live in the highlands.

I’d like to see the same map weighed against population density though. Like New York, you could put a little symbol for every crime and it’d look awful with out perspective, but when weighed against the probability of crime occurring to you, it’s safer than Jtown in most areas of Manhattan.

Either way, I typically accept that as a risk of being in a city and mitigate as needed. I walk downtown frequently and never had an issue, but I’m not easily shook either. Albeit, I know exactly where to walk, which routes to take and don’t walk in areas where crime is more probable

The chow wagon, now, is damned robbery. I can eat at Ruth's Chris cheaper than I can get a brat and a watered down beer at the chow wagon. And you've always got those few extra, odd, tokens. The ones you can't spend. They engineered it that way.
And yeah, the crime is absurd. Even though I carry concealed, I still don't like it. If I had to shoot an attacker I'd at the very least lose my firearm and spend thousands on an attorney.
Price is a legit criticism of chow wagon. Another thing that needs to be addressed. I am planning on going steamboat race night though and typically enjoy it.

Reactions: Lukeslaw
Belvedere

What they allow to go on at the belvedere is a collosal dereliction of leadership. Unless there is an event there or a time like derby week, it's a cesspool of drug addicts and homeless strewn about, especially if it's close to evening at all.

It should be a beautiful part of downtown everyone can enjoy. It's the opposite

Reactions: Kaizer Sosay
I bet you're a hit at parties. "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

• Haha
Reactions: Lamar Card
Didn’t think this would be an anti-downtown thread but it grinds my gears when people act like all of downtown is the same. It’s really 4-5 neighborhoods and there’s nice areas and bad areas. I’m not even including the west end in that.

Do I care at end of day who goes downtown? Not really. But I can name 20-30 places worth going if you like drinks, food, entertainment. That doesn’t mean though that everything is good from Irish Hill to Portland.

Didn’t think this would be an anti-downtown thread but it grinds my gears when people act like all of downtown is the same. It’s really 4-5 neighborhoods and there’s nice areas and bad areas. I’m not even including the west end in that.

Do I care at end of day who goes downtown? Not really. But I can name 20-30 places worth going if you like drinks, food, entertainment. That doesn’t mean though that everything is good from Irish Hill to Portland.

Would that include nulu? I love going there too but let's not forget just a few years ago that a drive by shot up the seafood lady (a nationally known restaurant and tv chef) as well has being a location of one the largest tent cities in town (unless an event is coming in, then they sweep them off the street).

Bottom line is this: it should be much, much safer than it is. Leaders allowed things to get way out of control and the perception it causes is locally even more damaging. Luckily it isn't impacting bourbon tourism...yet

Would that include nulu? I love going there too but let's not forget just a few years ago that a drive by shot up the seafood lady (a nationally known restaurant and tv chef) as well has being a location of one the largest tent cities in town (unless an event is coming in, then they sweep them off the street).

Bottom line is this: it should be much, much safer than it is. Leaders allowed things to get way out of control and the perception it causes is locally even more damaging. Luckily it isn't impacting bourbon tourism...yet

I work in NULU. The shooting at seafood lady sucked. Great lady. I still eat there. People have different thresholds for risk, but I don’t worry about that honestly. Is it any less likely eating in St. Matthews? How random was it there? Certainly not a common event in that area. Hell I work a block away.

I also go to NYC and LA fairly regularly. Love both cities in different ways, despite similar issues.

Ideally, yes I agree. There would be zero crime. I think it goes beyond leadership to some degree but gets to the core of American problems. It’s a national problem in every city in America. Leaders must address it. To that, I’d agree, but no one has really solved the problem any where.

Does that justify it? No. But I think it’s an inherent risk of American cities today unfortunately. To me it goes back to mitigating risks and taking steps to avoid being in such scenarios.

To some people that may be to avoid any place where something can go sideways. Safest thing to do would be to get a farm and live there I’d guess. Not how I want to live personally.

What provides more safety in cities than anything is humans being nearby. It’s why risk of crime in Manhattan is so low. So, to that end, the more the merrier.

How about 4th Street Live? Two people got their throats slit there recently by a wacked out drug addict. Isn't that also where the mayor got punched in the face.

As for NULU, which is generally a nice area, who came up with the idea of locating an addiction treatment center there. Our city leaders are terrible.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
How about 4th Street Live? Two people got their throats slit there by a wacked out drug addict.

As for NULU, which is generally a nice area, who came up with the idea of locating an addiction treatment center there.

How about Jtown which was subject to an attempted mass shooting in a grocery store and where the gunman wanted to shoot up a black church?

How about St. Matthews, where a 17 year old shot a woman in March?

How about another in Jtown where a guy was shot while pumping gas?

How about the double shooting in Pewee Valley in January where a 15 and 22 year old were shot?

Can pick out crimes in every area, but it’s a lot easier to think “it’s over there.”

How about Jtown which was subject to an attempted mass shooting in a grocery store and where the gunman wanted to shoot up a black church?

How about St. Matthews, where a 17 year old shot a woman in March?

Can pick out crimes in every area, but it’s a lot easier to think “it’s over there.”
Go back to that murder map. St. Matthews and J-town don't hold a candle to downtown. Silly comparison. Property crimes are everywhere. I will give you that.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Defund the police. Oh, we never said that.

Oh, it's always been this way. It's life in the big city. We like it this way. Just know where you are. It's mostly peaceful.

Jefferson County homicides by year.

2017 107

2018 80

2019 92

2020 173

2021 188

2022 160

Reactions: blubo
Defund the police. Oh, we never said that.

Oh, it's always been this way. It's life in the big city. We like it this way. Just know where you are. It's mostly peaceful.

Jefferson County homicides by year.

2017 107

2018 80

2019 92

2020 173

2021 188

2022 160
Weird

Go back to that murder map. St. Matthews and J-town don't hold a candle to downtown. Silly comparison. Property crimes are everywhere. I will give you that.
We’ve already gone over that. Still not sure of your point. Have already said there likely is a higher risk downtown Louisville than downtown Brandenberg or insert your suburban area here.

And as stated, whether you go to such areas depends on your tolerance for risk. I work in the area and go to restaurants there all the time. Have never had an issue.

But you do you.

Taking extreme examples though and acting like it’s common, as proven, I can do that anywhere.

Chickasaw Park isn’t downtown. Is walking around a suburban neighborhood safer than downtown? Yea generally. Is there 10x more to do downtown than vinyl village in Fern Creek. Yes, also true.

Our daughter lives in Louisville near Iroquois Park. The 2nd safest area in Jefferson County after Prospect. So, safety varies, and its not always correlated to race or wealth. If you're used to SW Louisville or Portland or Melwood, your anxiety level about being downtown might be different from someone who only knows St. Matthews or the like. Anxiety level does not equal safety.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT