ADVERTISEMENT

Musicals

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
I would've sworn that there was already a thread on musicals but if there is, I can't find it.

I binged Hazbin Hotel today and liked it. It's set in hell, which is probably a lot ******* cooler than Kentucky is right now.

Some others that I like a lot, just off the top of my head:

Everything that Trey Parker and Matt Stone have done, especially their South Park stuff.
Little Shop of Horrors (1986). I prefer the director's cut where Audrey II kills everybody and destroys the world.
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)
Annie (1982)
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Aladdin (1992). Probably my favorite Disney musical.
Hamilton (2020)
Labyrinth (1986)

What are your favorites?

We have season tickets for the Broadway series at KY Center for the Arts. Been going for several years now. Plus we've seen some on Broadway in NYC. Newsies is probably my favorite. The dancing is phenomenal.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Jesus Christ Superstar

Kinda related...

@ 45 years ago I was fortunate to be able to take a two week tour of Europe with the American Institute of Foreign Study. I was 16 at the time.

One night, in Venice IIRC, they took us to the opera to see "Evita", the story of Evita Perone. I don't think I've ever been so bored in my life but, as I said I was only 16 and had never been exposed to opera at all lol.

I could at least appreciate it now, but at the time it was the last place I wanted to be.

Always Sunny Troll GIF
always sunny mac GIF

Reactions: J_Dee and GeraldV
The Music Man. I watched it the other night with my daughters in fact. We’ve probably seen it more than a couple of times.

My favorite thing from my childhood was watching Robert Preston play Prof Harold Hill reimagined as a fast talking alien arcade game salesmen in the Last Starfighter.

Reactions: J_Dee
I’ve been to probably 5-6 musicals.
I usually like the story, but wish they wouldn’t sing so much.

Stage….
Phantom
Frozen
Camelot
Les Mis

Film…..
JC Superstar
Moulin Rouge
The Greatest Showman
Hairspray

Saw Book of Mormon on Broadway and it was the best musical I've seen (and the funniest). Randomly decided to see Beetlejuice the next night and it was fine. Have seen Hamilton and Hairspray on tour and they were both really good. Watched a few other local renditions of shows and they were what we paid for.

actually in Broadway I’ve seen

‘If/then’ it starred Idina Menzel. I really enjoyed it but didn’t last lonf
‘School of rock’ a lot of fun if you like the movie. Crazy that the kids in it are all legitimate musicians

And 2 plays
‘Harry Potter and the cursed Child’ loved it as a big Harry potter nerd. Great visually but a lot of the dialogue reads like Harry Potter fan fiction

‘Blackbird’ friend in NYC got us tickets. It starred Jeff Daniels and Michelle Williams. We didn’t know anything about it but who was in it and out tickets were $25. Very uncomfortable subject but acted brilliantly. Threre is a movie based on this play called ‘ima’ that starts Rooney Mara and Ben Mendolhson. I do not recommend. Some things are better being left to the imagination

Not a big theater guy, but I saw Hamilton on Broadway a few years ago. Was fantastic. All the King George appearances are great.

Reactions: J_Dee and Rockford
I saw Cats on Broadway my senior year in New York and it was the worst entertainment experience of my life. Maybe that turned me off to all musicals.

Reactions: christophero
I saw Cats on Broadway my senior year in New York and it was the worst entertainment experience of my life. Maybe that turned me off to all musicals.
My daughter was in it while in school, but even I thought Cats sucked.

Cabaret and Fiddler were great in their time, but there is even a Cabaret revival going on Broadway right now, GD?? How many more times can you stage the same two shows?

Have not seen Hamilton, but would definitely go if it was in Louisville or Cincinnati.

Les Mis and Phantom were phenomenal in person. Also thought Wicked was very clever. Chicago was great as well. Especially since the main character is a semi crooked attorney, whose main interest is the "$5000 retainer you told me you had"

Some are great, some suck, and a lot are in between. In short, pretty much like a lot of other entertainment options.

The best I’ve been to, wasn’t really a musical, since no singing, was “Stomp”.
So good I went a 2nd time a couple years later.

Superstar is very good as well. On the other hand I saw Hair one time it. Although it has a handful of good songs, the story makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Thought Chorus Line was really overrated. It was okay but not nearly as good as I was told it was going to be.

The only play/musical I've ever seen was Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Definitely not one to take the kids to see. I liked it though.

Wife and I went to see Wicked a few years back at the Kentucky Center for the Arts and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The one and only play I'd ever been to. I'd like to go back again and see the Phantom of the Opera of it's even still around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT