ADVERTISEMENT

Move in day for a few guys

I guess I understand why but I still want them to feel at home here.
Pat Riley, Louie Dampier, Dan Issel, Jack Givens, Kenny Walker, and on and on never had their pictures on the wall and they felt/feel part of the program. The players that played for Cal will be welcome just like all the players who played here ever…A portion of the fan base that has only known one coach previous to Pope thinks they are being pushed aside. That is bullsh—-. The question besides John Wall is how many of those players really have any loyalty to the University of Kentucky and its basketball program? I hope many.

I already like both these guys a lot. Kerr seems like he will be a good leader and you can see how much Almonor appreciates this opportunity.
Yeah, they said Krissa grabbed the biggest room, a King suite, when he got there. So now Krissa, Carr and Almonor are on campus. I believe summer classes start next week so most of the guys should be here this week to get settled in. Butler, Brea and Garrison do not have an arriving date as of this morning.

Reactions: UKgal82
This thread got me thinking: since NIL is a thing now and some of these guys are making high six figures while playing at UK or other schools, are we going to see the athlete dorms morph into MTV Cribs style pads? If you’re a millionaire, do you still want to bunk up with a teammate in a room?

I don’t know the level of rooms they’re staying in now so maybe they’re already pretty swanky.

I wondered about that too. These kids will have plenty of dough but still have to live in a dorm. Pretty weird.

Yeah, they said Krissa grabbed the biggest room, a King suite, when he got there. So now Krissa, Carr and Almonor are on campus. I believe summer classes start next week so most of the guys should be here this week to get settled in. Butler, Brea and Garrison do not have an arriving date as of this morning.
Lol hey I don't blame him first come first served or something like that. All these guys have paid there dues to be able to play at a place like this so I think it is going to be an amazing year.

The basketball players can enjoy a very exciting atmosphere this weekend at the baseball park. Think we play at 5 CST on Saturday and Sunday night at 8 CST? That will be a super fun atmosphere if you are lucky enough to get in. Did not know that opposing players hates all the antics we do till I read FL's super star saying that all that stuff we do should be banned.

Looks like Kriisa is finally going to get some competition in the pick-up games. He was dominating up until now.

Reactions: Coach Marrow
I guess I understand why but I still want them to feel at home here.
They will still feel at home and be welcomed back.

It isn’t about distancing from “Cal players” those are “Kentucky guys” still. It’s about the messaging of the day to day focus while in the practice facility. Your environment and focus should be on banners, Wins, and The tradition of Kentucky Basketball. Having NBA jerseys and photos all over the walls sends messaging that you are there to get better and reach your NBA goals “join the others that are on the wall”. Even if it is indirect messaging, that type of stuff is what build the culture around a program. The Joe Craft Center isn’t an NBA training facility and it shouldn’t be dressed up as one. There is one mission when you’re in there and it’s to get better each day as a team to hang banners; the post UK Career goals are a byproduct of the exposure, facilities, and success that you have while here.

You can hand pictures of all those guys back up, but it should be pictures of them while in UK uniform playing SEC or tournament games. Hang the 2012 mid court celebration photo etc….but it shouldn’t be all NBA focused where you go daily to put in work. You can have an NBA wall or room in a hallway where you honor all the names that the university has put in the league current and past….every program does that….but that shouldn’t be the center focal point in your daily practice environment if you’re trying to creat a Team/College Mission focused program

These guys are so lucky but the best thing is they act like they know it. Camelot lives again, me thinks.

Pope was being interviewed and said don’t tell Mitch, but I would coach here for free. Refreshing.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
in the summer after Ansley finished high school, his church set up a practice session for local area college coaches to come watch him work out. FDU coach among those that watched him put up 100 three point shots. Are you ready for this? He made 90, yes 90, of them. He said it was just one of those days where he couldn't miss. The rest is history.

Also, there is an hour long podcast featuring some of Almonor's buddies doing a Q&A session after he committed to UK. What is interesting is how closely kids watch the game, know the college players of other schools, etc. Ansley knew a whole helluva lot about UK and former Cat players. So did his buddies. timeoutpodcastt Twitter:https:https://twitter
I’m sure many of them are from similar areas, played AAU and have seen a lot of them over the years. Plus I’m sure they watch Sportcenter all day and the games on TV like we do! When they have free time that is.

It isn’t about distancing from “Cal players” those are “Kentucky guys” still. It’s about the messaging of the day to day focus while in the practice facility. Your environment and focus should be on banners, Wins, and The tradition of Kentucky Basketball. Having NBA jerseys and photos all over the walls sends messaging that you are there to get better and reach your NBA goals “join the others that are on the wall”. Even if it is indirect messaging, that type of stuff is what build the culture around a program. The Joe Craft Center isn’t an NBA training facility and it shouldn’t be dressed up as one. There is one mission when you’re in there and it’s to get better each day as a team to hang banners; the post UK Career goals are a byproduct of the exposure, facilities, and success that you have while here.

You can hand pictures of all those guys back up, but it should be pictures of them while in UK uniform playing SEC or tournament games. Hang the 2012 mid court celebration photo etc….but it shouldn’t be all NBA focused where you go daily to put in work. You can have an NBA wall or room in a hallway where you honor all the names that the university has put in the league current and past….every program does that….but that shouldn’t be the center focal point in your daily practice environment if you’re trying to creat a Team/College Mission focused program
I agree, the championship should be the big mural. That’s why I loved the court being in the locker room from that game.

Reactions: EliteBlue

Amen brother! It only became that way because that was the admitted focus of the former coach. IT WAS NOT on what Adolph started in 1930…win for Kentucky above all else. If that happens, all else will fall in place.

I already like both these guys a lot. Kerr seems like he will be a good leader and you can see how much Almonor appreciates this opportunity.
I'm gonna have a hard time picking a favorite player...everytime I see one arrive and listen to him, I get excited and say "That's my favorite player", then another one arrives. Oh heck...they're all gonna be my favorite one!!!!😍

GO BIG BLUE AND
COACH POPE, TOO!!!!💙💙💙

Good question for Reed. I’m sure the question of when was the first time you were able beat Jeff in 1v1? Has been asked several times by the media. Did anybody ask him about beating his mom?
I bet WayneDougan could hold his own in one on one against Reed’s mom. If they played in his mom’s driveway, I think WayneDougan might actually win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT