ADVERTISEMENT

Most overrated programs based on preseason and final polls

bthaunert

All-American
Apr 4, 2007
Thought this was interesting.

Top 25 most overrated programs based on preseason rankings and final rankings over the past 10 years:

1. Auburn
2. USC
3. Wisconsin
4. Texas A&M
5. LSU
6. Texas
7. Oregon
8. Oklahoma
9. Miami
10. Florida State
11. Clemson
12. Stanford
13. Michigan State
14. Georgia
15. UCLA
16. South Carolina
17. Alabama
17. Notre Dame
19. UNC
20. Ohio State
21. Washington
22. Iowa State
23. Nebraska
24. Arkansas
25. Michigan

More Importantly, Kentucky comes in as the 5th most underrated team in the last 10 years between preseason and final rankings

Last edited:
Looking at those names one thing is clear, the traditional name-brand schools consistently get over ranked. Look who's not on the list, Missouri, Kentucky, Ole Miss, K State, Iowa, Washington. Many also-ran teams.

Looking at those names one thing is clear, the traditional name-brand schools consistently get over ranked. Look who's not on the list, Missouri, Kentucky, Ole Miss, K State, Iowa, Washington. Many also-ran teams.
I don’t see U6. They usually have them ranked and except for last year I can’t remember when they finished that way. Almost every year they’re ranked ahead of UK, as they are this year

When you start almost every season at the top of the rankings, you get no credit for staying there and get docked for even a modest drop towards the back end of the top 10. Hence you have literally every championship of the playoff era accounted for by teams somewhere on the “most overrated” list. You can pretty much only gain spots if you aren’t prone to starting the year ranked, but slip into the 15-25 range a couple of seasons. I’m not sure this really proves anything meaningful to be honest.

I am shocked, shocked to see South Carolina on the list.
Who, doesn't get a lot of preseason love, but really screw the pooch when they do.

When you start almost every season at the top of the rankings, you get no credit for staying there and get docked for even a modest drop towards the back end of the top 10. Hence you have literally every championship of the playoff era accounted for by teams somewhere on the “most overrated” list. You can pretty much only gain spots if you aren’t prone to starting the year ranked, but slip into the 15-25 range a couple of seasons. I’m not sure this really proves anything meaningful to be honest.
I agree for some. Those are most likely the teams in the middle of the top 25…Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State….programs like that.

Your top 5 are different though. Those are programs that during that 10 year period had some really disappointing years.

Thought this was interesting.

Top 25 most overrated programs based on preseason rankings and final rankings over the past 10 years:

1. Auburn
2. USC
3. Wisconsin
4. Texas A&M
5. LSU
6. Texas
7. Oregon
8. Oklahoma
9. Miami
10. Florida State
11. Clemson
12. Stanford
13. Michigan State
14. Georgia
15. UCLA
16. South Carolina
17. Alabama
17. Notre Dame
19. UNC
20. Ohio State
21. Washington
22. Iowa State
23. Nebraska
24. Arkansas
25. Michigan

More Importantly, Kentucky comes in as the 5th most underrated team in the last 10 years between preseason and final rankings
We play 4 of those teams this season:

South Carolina
Georgia
Texas
Auburn

How the f**k are UGA and Bama overrated? Their only loss, if they have one, is to one another. Haven't they won the most games and titles since 2014?

Agree with most of the other ones. However, it's like, who the hell do you want people to hype and rank pre-season?

I feel like there's a lot of teams listed who always have pretty good seasons...finish with 9, 10, 11 wins.

That means UK, Duke, UNC, and KU are the most overhyped basketball programs. Yes, they're always near the top of rankings, and no they don't always finish in the title game, FF, or even EE...but who else are you going to put up there based on the criteria of being a good program capable of doing work throughout the season and hanging around late?

How the f**k are UGA and Bama overrated? Their only loss, if they have one, is to one another. Haven't they won the most games and titles since 2014?

Agree with most of the other ones. However, it's like, who the hell do you want people to hype and rank pre-season?

I feel like there's a lot of teams listed who always have pretty good seasons...finish with 9, 10, 11 wins.

That means UK, Duke, UNC, and KU are the most overhyped basketball programs. Yes, they're always near the top of rankings, and no they don't always finish in the title game, FF, or even EE...but who else are you going to put up there based on the criteria of being a good program capable of doing work throughout the season and hanging around late?
I thought the same thing.
But after we man handle them in the Bluegrass it will add to the stat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT