ADVERTISEMENT

Most intriguing player on the team thus far

Ortega. Middle child syndrome. Looked over because of not being first or last recruit but possibly has the total basketball skills and athletic ability that will lead to break out year.

Has some experience but has some time left to make the jump. Many people want Lanier or Robinson but double O will be called triple O in Pope’s system.

Ortega. Middle child syndrome. Looked over because of not being first or last recruit but possibly has the total basketball skills and athletic ability that will lead to break out year.

Has some experience but has some time left to make the jump. Many people want Lanier or Robinson but double O will be called triple O in Pope’s system.
I like how you prove your own point by spelling his name wrong 😂😂

Carr seems like one that would quietly annoy the piss out of me. He gets his shot of in traffic by initiating the contact with his shoulder to your chest.

Reactions: G-PIP
That’s what I really like about this team. We have a bunch of intriguing players. Kriisa Butler Brea Carr Oweh and Williams. If just 2 of them take a leap UK is in good shape. I think Kriisa and Williams will surprise us. If the rest just do what they have done so far it’s a top 20 team. I’m still hopeful that Robinson comes as well.

Carr seems like one that would quietly annoy the piss out of me. He gets his shot of in traffic by initiating the contact with his shoulder to your chest.
Another evolution of basketball I’m not a fan of. Interior offensive players being allowed to just bully their way to the basket and if you get in their way it’s a foul.

68wBzou.jpg

Agree on Chandler. He is really the only unknown on this team. I hope he is in game shape by the time the season starts.

For me, it's Colin Chandler as well. From what I've seen, he's got the ability to be a scorer at all three levels. With his added height, I only see weight and experience as his only drawbacks. I think he will surprise a lot of fans.

My vote is for Oweh. I think he could be an All-Conference type player for us.
The Butler/Oweh backcourt is going to be a defensive matchup nightmare for opposing teams and our greatest strength as a team, IMO
I think Oweh as well, he has already had some huge games against top teams and has all the physical ability.

I think we may be overlooking Garrison. The transition from Frosh to Soph may be interesting for him and UK.

As a side note to this thread ,it would seem to me that it will be tough to add a starter level player (other than Robinson if he stays in college) There are only so many minutes to go around and Pope has assembled some pretty good players thus far

Agree with OP. Super highly rated but out for two years… feels like the definition of intriguing. Can’t wait to see him hit the court. I’ve got high hopes that he can come in and produce at a higher than expected level early.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
Is Collin chandler. Was a mid 30s recruit out of high school in 2020. He’s gonna be 20 or 21. He was set on a Utah school but pope lured him. I’m really interested to see him play this season. Could be a difference maker.
Otewa, Chandler and Garrison

Oweh and Garrison to see if they make the next big step in their developement.

Chandler, how does he come back after 2year layoff and mostly 2 years without a ball in his hand at all.

Perry and Noah just because of the Kentucky connection.

Butler and Kriisa on running the team.

Player to be named (Robinson / or someone else).

Reactions: EliteBlue
Is Collin chandler. Was a mid 30s recruit out of high school in 2020. He’s gonna be 20 or 21. He was set on a Utah school but pope lured him. I’m really interested to see him play this season. Could be a difference maker.
Kerr Kriisa.

Coach P on Kriisa: "All I can say is, Big Blue Nation, you are welcome. Enjoy."

That's a pretty solid endorsement.

To me it is a toss up between Kriisa and Carr. IF Kriisa can cut down on the And1 turnovers, the guy can be a stud scoring / passing point guard. He has the tools, has produced, just play under control and make the simple / right play. Get the turnovers under 2 per game, with his shooting and 5 assist per game, he COULD become a All SEC type player. He is going to prove some folks on here wrong.

Carr - Just keep getting better, and play his game. He is exactly what we needed last year.

I like how most are just picking a player that they think will have the best stats or make the NBA.

I'll go with Kerr. NO ONE will be able to match his intensity and love for getting under the opponent's skin.

Reactions: know1
I like how most are just picking a player that they think will have the best stats or make the NBA.

I'll go with Kerr. NO ONE will be able to match his intensity and love for getting under the opponent's skin.

I like this pick too because he’s played on some very good teams where he’s failed to meet the moment when it mattered. He has the natural competitive fire, plus he has a chip because fans have given him a lot of shit and Arizona fans ran him off. Then he sticks with WV, gets suspended by NCAA, then plays very well through a tumultuous season with a jacked roster. His poor efficiency numbers went up while playing for a disjointed team where he was more of a focus in the oppositions game plan, AND he did it in a more competitive league. This is his last chance to show that he is who he thinks he is, and he thinks he’s an NBA player. He might be right too. He’s going to be back into more of role, similar to what he was at Arizona, but now I think he’s going to light teams up. As for meeting the moment when it really matters…that’s what remains to be seen. I think he’s going to get his last chance to prove it, and I’m glad it’s going to be in a Kentucky uniform.

For me, it's Colin Chandler as well. From what I've seen, he's got the ability to be a scorer at all three levels. With his added height, I only see weight and experience as his only drawbacks. I think he will surprise a lot of fans.
Chandler needs to live in the weight room. I think we can all agree on that.

I like this pick too because he’s played on some very good teams where he’s failed to meet the moment when it mattered. He has the natural competitive fire, plus he has a chip because fans have given him a lot of shit and Arizona fans ran him off. Then he sticks with WV, gets suspended by NCAA, then plays very well through a tumultuous season with a jacked roster. His poor efficiency numbers went up while playing for a disjointed team where he was more of a focus in the oppositions game plan, AND he did it in a more competitive league. This is his last chance to show that he is who he thinks he is, and he thinks he’s an NBA player. He might be right too. He’s going to be back into more of role, similar to what he was at Arizona, but now I think he’s going to light teams up. As for meeting the moment when it really matters…that’s what remains to be seen. I think he’s going to get his last chance to prove it, and I’m glad it’s going to be in a Kentucky uniform.
You make a pretty good case, maybe not Perry Mason good, but you got Matlock beat

Chandler needs to live in the weight room. I think we can all agree on that.
I do not. It’s important for basketball players to put on muscle over an extended period of time, to avoid injury and maintain fluidity. He’s got to get to work for sure, but it’s living in the basketball gym that is by far the most important part.

Kerr Kriisa.

Coach P on Kriisa: "All I can say is, Big Blue Nation, you are welcome. Enjoy."

That's a pretty solid endorsement.
Yep - this is why I said Kriisa in my first response to this thread. Pope has clearly tried everything to get this kid on his team multiple times and finally succeeded here at KY. I think Kerr has tons of potential he hasn't even fully utilized yet.

Reactions: NociHTTP
That’s what I really like about this team. We have a bunch of intriguing players. Kriisa Butler Brea Carr Oweh and Williams. If just 2 of them take a leap UK is in good shape. I think Kriisa and Williams will surprise us. If the rest just do what they have done so far it’s a top 20 team. I’m still hopeful that Robinson comes as well.
100%. And unlike when Cow was here, i feel like Pope will prepare for the tourney well. I know the criticism of him only winning 1 or maybe no ncaa games but he's gonna have more talent here. Yes, we will play a tougher schedule but we have guys who will compete. None of this just roll out the ball nonsense.

i'm excited to see what we will do!!

Reactions: FatestCat
Ortega or Garrison, I think both will increase their numbers from last season. I’m drawing a blank - which I’m sure somehow will remember which - but Pope seems sold that one will be an NBA level player.

This team has all sorts of fun potential atm.

I'm intrigued by most of the guys on the roster, but one that I think could be a little underrated is Koby Brea.

Have now watched 3-4 of Daytons games from last season and Brea was impressive in all of them. Elite shooter obviously, but has some grit to him. Makes the right basketball play, is 6'6 and a pretty good athlete. They never really ran plays for him, every shot he took was within flow of the game.

I think he's capable of getting 16+ a game on efficient shooting (while also being a non-liability on defense)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT