Calipari beating Ohio St in 10-11
Calipari beating Louisville in 11-12
Calipari beating Wich St in 13-14
Calipari beating Wisconsin in 13-14
Calipari beating UCLA in 14-15
Calipari beating W. VA in 14-15
Other

Last edited:
As a whole, yes. But he had some games where you have to give him props (see above). This is about best coached GAMES.
I have a hard time remembering games where Cal made critical in-game moves to get us back in it. Maybe WVU in 2017-18, or did Knox just catch fire? But I think where Cal really was a great coach, at least for the first 10 seasons here, was pulling the right strings to get his team playing to their potential as the season went on. One extreme example being “the tweak” in 2014.

I dont even know what is considered modern at this point. Is something 50 years ago modern?

For Pitino, 92 Duke despite the loss. For Tubby, 98 Duke. For Cal, 2011 OSU.

Reactions: Dncmaxwell
I've got to go vs LSU 89-90 (coincidentally my first UK game in Rupp).
We had no business being even close in that game vs Shaq, Chris Jackson, & Stanley Roberts.

For you young fans, our front line went 6'7-6'7-6'7 (Hanson, Feldhaus, Pelphrey). Add in Miller shooting 15 3's a game by himself, and then Woods, Farmer and Brassow. Feldhaus & Pelphrey and Farmer didn't play much the year before (on a 13-19 team) and Woods had sat out that year (Prop 48), and Brassow was a FR.
Meanwhile Chris Jackson still is the best scorer in college that I have seen in my life (I never saw Maravich). And Shaq was well Shaq, giving LSU 2 good 7-footers (him and Roberts).

Reactions: Deli owl and chroix
What game would you choose?

Hall beating Indiana in 74-75
Hall beating Michigan State in 77-78
Sutton beating Louisville by 34 in 86-87
Pitino beating LSU in 89-90
Pitino losing to Duke in 91-92
Pitino beating Tennessee in 92-93
Pitino beating LSU in 93-94
Pitino beating Arkansas in 94-95
Pitino beating LSU in 95-96
Smith beating Duke in 97-98
Smith beating Utah in 97-98
Smith beating Vandy in 02-03
Other
The Calipari games you listed. Every one of these games Calipari had as much, probably more talent than the other team.

To answer your question. The 2 that comes to mind are

1 - When Joe B Hall & his 74-75 team beat #1 ranked & undefeated Indiana in the Elite-8 by a 92-90 score.
2 - Also when Tubby & his 97-98 team beat #1 seed Duke in the Elite-8.

• Love
Reactions: chroix and KFuqua
It’s got to be the Pitino probation teams. Those teams won games they weren’t even supposed to have shot in. Masterful coaching.

Tubby had some good ones (Duke 98).

And I’ll give Cal the nod on the Jorts Ohio State game. I didn’t think we had a chance in hell in that one. Until Harrelson tattooed that Buckeye.

Hard to choose just one - here's my top three in order by date

Joe Hall, March 22, 1975 vs Indiana - #1 in the nation and riding a 34 game winning streak and much favored over Kentucky, Indiana was thought to be too quick for the Cats. But Hall put his big men to work under the basket. They took a beating - both Robey and Phillips eventually fouled out and Bob Guyette had four by the end of the game, but it proved to be enough as the Cats won 92-90.

Rick Pitino, Feb 15, 1994 vs LSU - down 16 at the half, LSU's lead would balloon to 31 before Cat's rallied to win by four. IMHO Pitino's most masterful job of floor coaching, by means of smart, timely substitutions, as he - never mind the jaws - snatched victory from the very bowels of defeat.

Tubby Smith, March 30, 1998 vs Utah - down 10 at the half, and then quickly down 12, Smith and the Cats set the NCAA record for the largest halftime deficit overcome to win the title. The Cats absolutely wore out the Utes physically, and outscored them 47-28 in the second half to win by 9.

What game would you choose?

Hall beating Indiana in 74-75
Hall beating Michigan State in 77-78
Sutton beating Louisville by 34 in 86-87
Pitino beating LSU in 89-90
Pitino losing to Duke in 91-92
Pitino beating Tennessee in 92-93
Pitino beating LSU in 93-94
Pitino beating Arkansas in 94-95
Pitino beating LSU in 95-96
Smith beating Duke in 97-98
Smith beating Utah in 97-98
Smith beating Vandy in 02-03
Other
Calipari and coaching shouldn't be used in the same sentence as a positive correlation.

• Haha
Reactions: Myth Buster51
Pitino vs Coach K 1992 Elite 8. That Duke team is considered an all-time top 12 college team. Pitino had 1 NBA player (Mashburn). Coach K later said that was the best any of his teams had ever played for an entire game. Duke won by a miracle.

One I listed that no one has brought up...the SEC championship game against Arkansas in 95. Down 19 in regulation. Rhodes chokes at the end. We get down nine in overtime and STILL won the game.

Still trying to figure out how Pitino could get out coached so bad against Smith, and then Smith got out coached by Richardson, and then Richardson lost vs UCLA without Edney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT