ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Monday Notes (2/6)...

tj_walker

T.J. Walker
Gold Member
May 25, 2011
Louisville
podcasts.apple.com
I hope everyone had a good weekend. I'm sure the game on Saturday made it a bit tougher to have a good weekend but it's a new week!

Knox: Kentucky went down and watched him play over the weekend. He scored 26 points in a close win and Calipari was joined by Karl-Anthony Towns parents as they watched Knox. Calipari is always doing something a little different and Knox noticed the No.1 pick and NBA Rookie of the Year parent's in the crowd.

Knox was then scheduled to take his UNC visit on Saturday but the Tar Heels' game was moved to Sunday and into a different city because of a water shortage in Chapel Hill. Knox rescheduled his visit and will travel to UNC in about two weeks.

I think in the moment that wasn't great news for Kentucky because supposedly the buzz around Knox and his family has been nothing but UK since his official visit and Calipari stopping by on Friday. There was a sense that if he took his official visit to UNC over the weekend Kentucky would have been on his mind. But he will still take his UNC visit and maybe there's more time to let the message of what Calipari has been telling him sink in instead of having UNC's pitch get in the way. Who knows how the rescheduling of his visit will change things. It probably won't change things in any significant way one way or the other.

But I have made it known that I don't think UK lands Knox. I've been saying that for a few months now and at the end of the day I still think he goes elsewhere, but I'm no longer confident with that prediction. Kentucky likes their chances. Knox's dad had nothing but positive things to say about Kentucky when I spoke with him last week. The Knox family is taking a smart approach to their son's recruitment where they are thinking long term. How basketball driven UK is, along with the entire city/state, that's making an impact on Knox.

Knox isn't planning on deciding until late March, so we'll still have nearly two months for things to change, but UK is in a nice spot as of today.

Bamba: Nothing major has changed but I have learned (as I had been hearing) that Duke has next to no confidence in landing Bamba and this is seemingly down to Texas and Kentucky. I haven't been able to get a feel for where Michigan stands, but Texas still is optimistic and feel like the relationship between Smart and Bamba can win out. Remember, Bamba is a "different type of kid". He went and toured horses on his visit to Lexington. There is a notion that he wants to do something different with his college experience. Folks at Texas and Michigan are hoping something different means saying no to traditional blueblood programs.

But nothing has changed on UK's end. While Bamba may want to do something different, he understands the success Calipari has had with bigs and how he could be the next in line. Kentucky's confidence is still soaring so nothing to worry about as of today.

Honestly, I had heard that Duke was curious if he was going to cancel his visit. That's how disconnected the Blue Devils are as of today. The plan is for Bamba to still visit Duke because he had it scheduled, and Duke isn't going to say no, but something drastic will have to change on that visit for Duke to feel like they have a shot.

Langford: I heard some interesting stuff about the New Albany star over the weekend and it's solid news for Kentucky.

First, Louisville supposedly isn't the favorite and the Cards may actually not be in the top three. The Langford family knows Pitino track record with five-star players, but more importantly there's some concerns about the way he coaches and expresses his message to his bench/players in times of crisis. I don't think Louisville is out of the equation but all the pro-Cards noise seems to be from overly optimistic fans that are just wishing he stays home for college.

Kentucky may not be the leader, either, but I think the Cats are in a better spot than most think. The mom supposedly really likes Calipari and the family understands Calipari's track record with star players.

But, from what I'm hearing UNC is quietly in a good spot. When Langford went to visit Duke and UNC he had a lot more positives to say about UNC than Duke and the Tar Heels are near the top of his list if not No. 1. Also, don't sleep on Kansas.

Lastly with Langford... IU is desperate and there's a solid chance Crean will be gone after this year. The family will look to see who is hired. It's of my opinion that I wouldn't be surprised if the Hoosiers hire someone that has a solid relationship with Langford just to try and get him on board. I don't think they'd hire his high school coach or anything like that, but if a new IU coach could land Langford in his first year that would make a statement. Just something to think about.

Langford will cut his list to six in the next month or so and that six will be UK, UofL, Duke, UNC, Kansas and IU.

Young: I would expect Kansas to be the pick when he announces on 2/16. There is some chatter that Oklahoma could be the destination but I think it will be Kansas.

Williamson: Zion Williamson visited South Carolina on Saturday. Don't sleep on the Gamecocks in his recruitment.

Richards: He was ejected during his game over the weekend and suspended two games.

Reactions: Rockford
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News