ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Monday Notes (11/16)...

tj_walker

T.J. Walker
Gold Member
May 25, 2011
Louisville
podcasts.apple.com
Things will start to calm down a BIT with recruiting, since signing day was last week, but here's the latest.

De'Aaron Fox: I'm relieved I won't have to type every week "Things are looking good for Fox, just a matter of time."

This kid wanted to go to UK since the Cats offered in the summer. He told me he made up his mind after Big Blue Madness but I think he went through all four of his official visits knowing Kentucky would be the choice.

He told me he told Wenyen Gabriel and Sacha Killeya-Jones he'd be going to UK awhile ago, my guess is maybe he told Killeya-Jones in person at Big Blue Madness, but Fox is all about Kentucky and will be excited to put on the blue and white.

What a guy to represent the University of Kentucky. There are some recruits that are hard to cover, hard to interview and just seem like jerks, but Killeya-Jones, Gabriel and Fox are all smart kids, they get good grades, have been polite to me and other reporters have said the same. It's a special class not just from a talent standpoint but from a character standpoint, too.

And I hate saying that, it makes me sound like a homer and it's awfully cliche, but it's true with these three. Seem like really good kids.

Malik Monk: On to some negative news, there is a source close to Arkansas that thinks it's a done deal for Monk to the Hogs.

He visited Arkansas for a game this past weekend and I'm sure he'll go to several more.

The thing is, Kentucky still feels good about their chances and there were some rumblings he may sign early. It's still not 100 percent confirmed he'll wait until the spring but it's looking that way.

But this Arkansas source is really confident.

This is how this recruitment is going to go. We likely will have several more months of this. One week, Arkansas may lead, the next UK is looking good.

I still feel good about UK's chances as of today, and having Fox actively recruit Monk (who never tweeted anything to Fox when he committed, if you care about that sort of thing), won't hurt.

Bam Adebayo: It will be really good news if he doesn't sign in the fall. Doesn't mean he'll end up at UK, but will help the Cats' chances if he decides to wait and that's what it's looking like.

Obviously NC State leads, and his best friend Dennis Smith will enroll in January for the Wolfpack, but can't help but think how great of an addition Adebayo would be for the Cats. UK will have plenty of offense for next year, but a solid defender and a big body like Adebayo would give the Cats one of the best fives in the country.

Jarrett Allen: Seems like he's going to wait, too, but it was strange hearing some experts rule out Kentucky after last week, where I was leaning the other way and thought Kentucky led. The visit to Lexington went VERY well. His parents connected with UK's coaching staff and I know the folks at UK liked their chances after Allen left.

So I'm sticking with UK being in a good spot for Allen until I hear otherwise. Like their chances to land Allen over Bolden.

Thon Maker: He visited Kansas this weekend and despite mentioning UK as one of the schools recruiting him the hardest on Thursday, his guardian told Adam Zagoria he wants go back to Kansas to visit officially, along with Notre Dame and Arizona State. Can't imagine a scenario he ends up at UK.

Wendell Carter: Seems like he should probably just go ahead and commit to Duke. Went and visited Duke AGAIN this weekend, sat in the student section and seemed to enjoy himself. It's a bummer for the Cats because Carter is really good.

Nick Richards: Told by someone in the know they think he ends up at UK. Would be good news since he's a good player.

DeWayne Peevy: I think it was KSR that broke this news, at least the first place I saw it, but he's in the running for the UCF Athletic Director position.

This would be bad news for UK. He does SO MUCH for the basketball program and while he doesn't recruit for Kentucky, he does talk to families of the recruits and is great at building relationships. He also has a great relationship with all the players once they get to UK, and their families.

He's basically the No. 2 guy in UK athletics, with his emphasis on basketball. He has a tremendous relationship with John Calipari, too.

He really is the unsung hero of UK Athletics and if he leaves for UCF it would negatively impact the basketball program in someway. No, it wouldn't crumble, and I don't think Calipari would be more likely to leave, but the Cats would definitely miss Peevy if he decides to go.

If I'm UK I'm giving Peevy a pay raise and maybe making him the AD after Barnhart hangs it up.

Reactions: jseebold
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News