ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Monday Insider Notes (11/6)...

tj_walker

T.J. Walker
Gold Member
May 25, 2011
Louisville
podcasts.apple.com
The fall signing period starts on Wednesday and by the the time it closes Kentucky will have several signatures.

While the Cats only have one commitment at this point, expect that number to grow over the next two weeks. It's not impossible that UK's entire class is wrapped over during that span, although Cats Illustrated expects at least one spring commitment.

Here's a look at what will unfold in the fall signing period.

ccopbf7bjmdlujtr0djb

HoyaReport.com
2018 Class: Kentucky has Immanuel Quickley on board but over the next 10-14 days Cats Illustrated is confident that Tyler Herro and Keldon Johnson will join the list of commitments.

Herro will visit UK this weekend and Johnson recently said that he was 95 percent sure he knew where he would be committing. UK is the 95 percent in that statement, Cats Illustrated has learned.

One source said that UK's class most likely will look like Quickley, Herro, Johnson, Williamson and Brown (more on the latter two below). It's not impossible that Calipari would look at a grad-transfer, too, despite being against the practice.

It's also not impossible that Grimes could join the mix, too. UK is still actively recruiting the shooting guard from Texas and even with the addition of other guards and wings, UK still thinks Grimes could make a difference. But obviously for Grimes there are other schools with backcourts that aren't nearly as loaded.

But be on the lookout for at least two more commitments. It's looking like Zion Williamson will wait until the spring but if he were to commit in the fall UK is still the school to beat at this juncture.

Article Continues Below

Other Trending Articles On CatsIllustrated.com

Williamson: It's my opinion that this is still a three horse race between UK, Duke and Clemson, with UK and Clemson being ahead of the Blue Devils. If R.J. Barrett were to surprise folks and end up at Oregon or UK that would help Duke's chances with Williamson, but all signs point to Barrett going to Duke (more on that below).

But UK is quietly confident with where things stand with Williamson. Kentucky felt that when Williamson was on campus that he "felt at home" and while he likely enjoyed every official visit, UK felt after the visit last month that they will be the landing spot, whether he decides int he fall or the spring.

One concern is just how many people have and will continue to be in Williamson's ear. This is not to indicate anything illegal has taken place, but he will have the NCAA look at his background more than any other player in the class of 2018. This isn't scaring UK or any program away, but it just shows that this will be a muddied recruitment and the only way UK feels like they lose him (at this point, maybe something changes over the next few months) is if some promises are made elsewhere.

But confidence is as high as ever at this juncture for Williamson. If he surprises folks and sets a fall decision that won't change UK's confidence, if he waits to the spring (like UK expects) then that will be good, too. Obviously the more time the more things can change, but UK doesn't seem to be concerned.

slebexh1uisxq5whbgcv

FIBA
Barrett: He will announce his college decision tat 6 p.m. on Friday and all signs are still pointing to Duke. I did have one AAU source tell me that Duke going to visit him at 4:45 a.m. reeks of desperation and that maybe the Blue Devils aren't the easy favorite like everyone thinks, but there just isn't as much buzz anywhere else so that's why my educated guess is Duke.

What's interesting is that UK hasn't conceded. Maybe that changes over the next few weeks. Maybe it will leak on Thursday night or Friday afternoon that the Cats are out, but that's not the case at this point.

It seems like all three staffs are in the dark. I'm told UK has been in contact with Barrett and why that has been so quiet and we haven't heard about those visits, well I'm not sure what to make of it.

The recruitment reminds me a bit of Andrew Wiggins. Remember, Bill Self was surprised to learn that Wiggins picked Kansas. Maybe Calipari has a pleasant surprise on Friday? My guess is still Duke but this recruitment is as quiet and tough to predict as I can remember.

Also, I heard that Reddish isn't thrilled with the idea of playing with Barrett. He's been talked into it (I'm told) so I wouldn't expect him to back off his pledge, but if there are even rumblings that Reddish isn't thrilled about having to share the wing with Barrett, then what would he think about sharing the wing with Barrett and Williamson?

y3zjzbemufrzqog6emgl

Kelly Kline

Moses Brown: This seems to be a good news/bad news situation. The bad news is that when UK reached out to another 2018 big it indicated that they were toast on Bol Bol. That shouldn't come as a surprise but this just shows UK is moving on from the talented stretch four.

The good news is that UK can start recruiting or re-recruiting (there was some initial recruiting months and months ago but nothing serious) in November and maybe move to the top of that player's list.

The dad still says Maryland is the team to beat, remember that Brown played on the Under Armour AAU circuit, but Kentucky feels that if they can get Brown on campus they will land a commitment. Odds are it would be in the spring, but keep an eye out on if Brown plans a visit to UK soon.

UK still expects Nick Richards to return for a sophomore season, but I think reaching out to Brown tells me that Calipari can't end up with just SKJ or Wynyard as frontcourt players for 2018-2019. Brown will not be a one-and-done player. I think he will struggle more than Richards will this season. That's not a knock on Brown but I just think he's a little ways away. But it's clear UK will want big bodies in the case that Richards leaves.

But even if Richards stays he will be one of the top bigs in college basketball and will almost certainly leave after a sophomore season. Developing Brown over a year and having him come in as a sophomore would be nice, too.

I think he ends up at Kentucky. If he ends up at Maryland, if I'm Calipari I'm calling Kenneth Nwuba. Reminds me of Thomas Bryant a bit. Although UK may need to hurry as he is may be closing in on a decision soon.

b0i4xpiwdgvsdouwljdj

Matthew Hatfield (VirginiaPreps.com)
Johnson: Only way that Keldon Johnson ends up elsewhere is if Barrett surprised everyone and picks UK. Even then there would be a chance that Johnson would pick UK, but I think he would need to reconsider things.

Kentucky is THRILLED with the notion of getting Johnson. They think he, along with Williamson, are two of the few alphas in this class. The Cats would be landing an elite defender and a player that can attack the rim. Johnson is one of the hardest workers in the class, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News