ADVERTISEMENT

MLB draft updates

So you're saying there may be a chance he comes to UK?
He asked me to delete the tweets. I'm not sure if it was something he didn't want known yet or if something else happened and he wants to wait and see who UK hires. Like I said earlier, one other person in the know also told me he wasn't enrolling at UK.

Here's to hoping he does keep me updated.

He didn't tell me why but one person told me he's going the JUCO route. I assume he wants to try his luck in the draft again next season.

EDIT: Jaren told me he'd keep me updated throughout this week on his plans.

Something about this smells fishy. I don't see any reason a top 250 player wouldn't be drafted, except his number was either way too high or he told scouts/managers that he'd be going to UK. Even then it is suspect because they will still often draft these players in the hopes of throwing enough money at them to make them change their minds. So... why didn't Jaren get drafted? He is in a unique position to know the system as well or better than many others in his situation, so why is it that he was not selected?

Maybe it is just the conspiracy theorist in me, but it just doesn't smell right.

Jaren was not drafted. He may have basically told people that he is going to college so the managers backed off.

Kentucky should name something after the Shelby family considering that John has sent most of his family to UK. haha

Pretty sure Jaren put a number out there for what it would take to sign him and teams didn't want to go that high. I think he will go the JUCO route.

Pretty sure Jaren put a number out there for what it would take to sign him and teams didn't want to go that high. I think he will go the JUCO route.

That could very well be the case, but his family has had numerous people drafted and so they know just how the system works and what might be an acceptable number, and what will get turned down. So, you would think that they would know that his number is too high. Even if they aimed very high, many teams are still more than willing to draft a guy in the late rounds in the hopes that they will come off of that high number and sign anyway. For them not to do that at all is very strange, imo.

Am I the only one who thinks there is something fishy with Shelby? It looked like he was all in with Kentucky then something changed almost over night. Just seems odd to me. But hey, I wish him the best.

The whole thing seems weird to me. I thought I saw that he had a decent GPA, so he could go here. But also doesnt make sense that he wasn't drafted.

Do you know of any other JuCo commits? It seems like we always bring in more than one every year.
UK has had tremendous success with Juco players in the past, Stribey, Coughlin, Carroll, Peterson, Tomm, Beggs, McCarthy, McLendon etc. Why would you not continue to recruit the Juco ranks ?
I hope they do bring in 3 or 4 more to this current class!

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
I think they should definitely look to bring in some junior college arms for this class.

How does JUCO work with baseball? Is there a signing period? Can you still get JUCO kids in January just before the season? I have to imagine that at this point most of the JUCO kids are already signed by some school for the fall. So, can you get early enrollees to play for you in the spring by enrolling in January?

I think kids out of JUCO can sign in December and play the following season but I'm trying to find an example of that. I either remember UK did that or I'm thinking of a different scenario like NAIA where I had a few friends play. I'll keep looking.

How does JUCO work with baseball? Is there a signing period? Can you still get JUCO kids in January just before the season? I have to imagine that at this point most of the JUCO kids are already signed by some school for the fall. So, can you get early enrollees to play for you in the spring by enrolling in January?
There are HS kids and JUCO kids who have yet to decide where they are going. There are kids who 'slip thru the cracks' and are late bloomers as well as not getting publicity for one reason or another. That happens in all 3 sports really, I believe Matthew Mitchell is going to have to really look hard and fast for hidden gems !!

My son just got done with JUCO baseball, and will move on to a 4 year school next year. They sign a LOI with the JUCO just like with other schools, then can sign with a 4 year school on the normal signing days or after. I don't think they can sign mid-year and then move on to play immediately in the Spring. Doing that would violate the LOI they signed with the JUCO.

I had no idea you could do that...thought you signed a LOI and you were locked into that school? Did UK let him out of it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT