Staff
Aug 22, 2013
Lexington, Ky.
Here's an update on UK players/commits who have been drafted so far:

No. 74 - Akil Baddoo (Minnesota Twins)
No. 79 - Nick Hanson (Cincinnati Reds)
No. 120 Easton McGee (Tampa Bay Rays)
No. 141 Zack Brown (Milwaukee Brewers)
No. 142 JaVon Shelby (Oakland Athletics)

Gotta think Kyle Cody will be selected any minute now.

Here's an update on UK players/commits who have been drafted so far:

No. 74 - Akil Baddoo (Minnesota Twins)
No. 79 - Nick Hanson (Cincinnati Reds)
No. 120 Easton McGee (Tampa Bay Rays)
No. 141 Zack Brown (Milwaukee Brewers)
No. 142 JaVon Shelby (Oakland Athletics)

Gotta think Kyle Cody will be selected any minute now.
You mean these 5 were picked ahead of Cody ?...... Zack Brown, Easton McGee ????

At this point I would expect everyone else from the recruiting class, maybe with an exception or two, to go to school. Baddoo, McGee and Hanson will probably sign with the teams who drafted them.

You never know with the draft who will sign and who will stick with college. They could be a late round pick and get offered a good deal of money and they turn pro due to that.

You also have to worry a bit about Kentucky not having a coach that can possible talk some of the guys into going to college.

I'm sorta shocked that TJ Collett hasn't been drafted yet. I really hope he comes to campus.

Nick Hanson will probably get offered more than slot value since the Reds have already drafted 3 college seniors who have no leverage and will have to take whatever they're offered.

Kind of surprised that Jaren Shelby didn't go in the first 10 rounds. Everyone taken in the first 10 is likely gone imo.

I'm sorta shocked that TJ Collett hasn't been drafted yet. I really hope he comes to campus.
I've seen where people are still trying to figure out if he's a catcher or a first baseman at the next level. I read one article that talked about how little success high school first basemen have had when they went straight to the pros. Might be something holding him back, though I don't know. He's always struck me as a kid who wants to sign out of high school.

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
Draft strategy for High Schoolers is to usually draft the middle of the field...if things don't work out perfectly, they can fall to the corners of the field...if they think the kid may be a 1b, that'd probably be a waste of a high pick.

JJ Cooper of Baseball America: "Scouts complained Kentucky didn't let Zack Brown throw his changeup enough. CHG often disappeared from bullpen to mound."

Zach Thompson: "As of right now, I'm going to school," Thompson said, "but I'll talk it over with my parents, and we'll see how the negotiations go. If it comes up that it's my best situation (to go pro), then I'll go for it."

T.J. Collett tweeted to Brett Marshall that he'd see him in August, which means he's going to UK. Trying to confirm it with him. Drafted in the 40th round so I'd be shocked if he signed a deal. Lots of upside and should be selected much higher in a few seasons.

T.J. Collett tweeted to Brett Marshall that he'd see him in August, which means he's going to UK. Trying to confirm it with him. Drafted in the 40th round so I'd be shocked if he signed a deal. Lots of upside and should be selected much higher in a few seasons.
High schoolers drafted after the 20th round rarely sign. I'm not sure what position he will play next year but he will probably lead the team in home runs.

Don't be surprised if Brett Marshall contributes next year. He was the best player in the city of Louisville this season.

Is he our possible DH next year?
CBC, there is a guy who transferred to UK from UNC, who sat out this season, Joe Dudek, he had decent numbers for the Tar Heels, with some power. He is listed as a 1st baseman, but you know who reigns supreme at that position. Dudek may be our DH, or someone else may get the nod.

CBC, there is a guy who transferred to UK from UNC, who sat out this season, Joe Dudek, he had decent numbers for the Tar Heels, with some power. He is listed as a 1st baseman, but you know who reigns supreme at that position. Dudek may be our DH, or someone else may get the nod.

There was talk towards the end of last season that White may be moved to the outfield. This was for a couple of reasons. 1. Most people believe that's where he will play at the next level. 2. You have to have his bat in the lineup and Dudek is thought to be as good of a defensive first baseman as White is. But that is a mute point now that Henderson is gone.

Reactions: Jdhays21

Well, with a new coach I think that everyone is going to be fighting for their positions once again. I don't think anyone, not even Evan White, will be safe. However, you have to imagine that most of the guys who had the positions last year will have them again this year. Collett projects to be either a catcher or a first baseman. White should be at first (but could be moved to the outfield due to his athleticism). You have to imagine that Cottam can be our catcher. So, will Collett be a guy that sits out, be a backup catcher, or will White move and Collette be at first?

Really, the kind of funny thing is that we have a logjam of first basemen. Collette, White, Dudek, and McNeill. Plus, I believe we have Brayden Combs coming in next year as well. Meanwhile, we don't have a really good option at third or at short (and possibly not at second).

Did Jaren Shelby get drafted?

Jaren was not drafted. He may have basically told people that he is going to college so the managers backed off.

Kentucky should name something after the Shelby family considering that John has sent most of his family to UK. haha

Any reason as to why? And this pretty much guarantees Javon turns pro.
He didn't tell me why but one person told me he's going the JUCO route. I assume he wants to try his luck in the draft again next season.

EDIT: Jaren told me he'd keep me updated throughout this week on his plans.

Last edited:
I would move White to RF, put Dudek at 1st, and have Collett and McNeill share the DH.
I would not move White anywhere. He probably saved our infielders 10-12 additional errors this season with his glove work. I would move Mahan to 3rd base, he played some there as a freshman, and put Zeke Lewis at SS. If S Wilson returns, he would be in CF, with Reks and Pompey at the corners. Dudek and McNeill could share DH duties, Cottam should catch, and Marshall and Heady be utility players.

Reactions: AgesBlue
He didn't tell me why but one person told me he's going the JUCO route. I assume he wants to try his luck in the draft again next season.

EDIT: Jaren told me he'd keep me updated throughout this week on his plans.

So you're saying there may be a chance he comes to UK?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT