ADVERTISEMENT

MJ on Stoops/A&M

Stoops turning down A&M...lol. Riiiiiggghht.

Jones is just trying to be relevant with bs click bait.

Alan Cutler and Dave Baker joth stated that Stoops was approached by Texas A&M and was not putting out feelers. They call, you listen. Then he turned the offer down.
Buzz Baker seriously? We think Dave baker is likely to give anything but a pro UK take that paints UK in best light?

Come on…he’s as much UK Homer as Rob bromley was back I the 90s

• Love
Reactions: yoshukai and catben
Buzz Baker seriously? We think Dave baker is likely to give anything but a pro UK take that paints UK in best light?

If Bromley was such a homer, how come he never could pronounce "Jules Camara" correctly?

• Haha
Reactions: Doodah859
Why does everything have to be a conspiracy. I love my job but that doesn’t mean if someone comes knocking, I am not even going to listen. What’s it hurt to listen. The guy has been here longer than any coach in my lifetime. I wandered in in 1978 and if you know the history, you know that from 1978 thru 2015 was a pretty damn desolate time for Kentucky Football. Give Coach Brooks credit, he brought a level of respect back to the program. We need changes and I’m sure they will come. I expect 20-25 players to transfer out and that’s ok. They want to play and they won’t play here. We need a new O line and a new Online coach.

Reactions: Girthang and CB3UK
My twenty five cents worth (inflationary adjustments mind you)-

I think they contacted Stoops and Stoops listened. Then I think he said he'd have to think about it (talk it over with his assistants and probably with Fisher to find out what he'd be up against). Probably didn't go over too well with the money that he said he'd need to think about it when they thought he'd jump at it, so they ran the pre-emptive (usually face-saving) "backlash" campaign to dispell/defuse any leaks that they were "turned down." The A&M folks (money and fans) are dyed in the wool fanatics that think they are above an "I'll think about it" from someone without a natty already on their resume. Must've pissed em off pretty good.

Stoops isn't going to run the Aggie AD through the ringer by addressing it or arguing publicly about what happened. No need to do so. Negs wouldn't believe anything he'd say, and fans of the program and his improvements to it don't need to hear any more about it.

Reactions: sambowieshin
Multiple media guys reporting the same thing. Keep your head in the sand and be negative if you want.
Who?

Pete thamel
Billy liucci
Sports illustrated
Saturday down south
Etc

All reports Texas am and regents rejected the deal from boosters snd fan base

Who?

Pete thamel
Billy liucci
Sports illustrated
Saturday down south
Etc

I'll just add that according to Jones, the A&M media is backing off of saying that Stoops was offered the job. Of course they are going to say that now!! It's beneficial to BOTH sides if there was a mutual parting of the ways or even if he was NOT formally offered the job.

What AD or coaching candidate is going to ADMIT, after the fact, that the NEGATIVE backlash from the hiring program's fans and supporters was a BIG reason the deal was NIXED????!!!!

Not hard to figure this out.

Reactions: Downtown10
Jones always says “I can’t tell you everything” whenever a story like this comes up.
What a blowhard.
He was sitting in his bar with Marrow when it was going down. I'm sure there was stuff he can't say.

Reactions: CGblue
Alan Cutler and Dave Baker joth stated that Stoops was approached by Texas A&M and was not putting out feelers. They call, you listen. Then he turned the offer down.
That's it, things happen, now let's get back to work and get loaded up for next season. What they did Saturday made me happier than any sporting event In who knows how long.

Multiple UK media guys. I don't really care if you agree. Keep being miserable dude. Maybe UK football isn't for you.
Oh goodness. So Matt Jones, buzz baker, Stoops, and Mitch are reporting Soltoops turns the job down….very insightful media to get the full story

Just because I don’t listen to all propaganda fed doesn’t make me miserable

Reactions: catben
Stoops, was ready to go Texas A&M. His assistant coaches didn’t want to leave. So he changed his mind about going.

I’d say his heart isn’t with UK. I would say he’s one foot out the door and waiting on the Iowa job to opens.
I would say his agent is working on getting him a new gig.
This seems most likely. Stoop is not gonna be around much longer

Oh goodness. So Matt Jones, buzz baker, Stoops, and Mitch are reporting Soltoops turns the job down….very insightful media to get the full story

Stay miserable Karen

Buzz is the ultimate ass sucker . It’s how he’s gotten every job concerning UK . It’s not like he has any talent.

• Haha
Multiple media guys reporting the same thing. Keep your head in the sand and be negative if you want.
It’s the local media connected to the program reporting that. SI reported he had told some boosters and staff he was planning to head out of town. Ultimately, I don’t really care, because I don’t hold it against him for doing what we all do. I don’t get offended by that type of thing but many do. He’s just Looking at opportunities to decide what’s best for him for whatever reasons. The surprise for me is that A&M got that far with him before people started noticing things like a 38% SEC win%, which became a rallying cry for dissenters, and asking what gives. But UK has to do this re-shape the narrative thing to appease the fan base to keep people buying tickets and for recruits and current roster. But I don’t care if he did or not. I just want him to get some things corrected. Honestly, it has felt like he needed a new challenge elsewhere…just how things have run the past couple of seasons he just seems more manufactured and canned to go with excuse making. I’m hopeful this can serve as a wake up call to him that maybe he needs to get style of play etc fixed and play both sides of the ball although it feels like he is still searching to me for what his thing is on that side of the ball. Saturday could also could make him feel more ‘stuck’ where he is. I guess we’ll see.

Yeah it's all a giant conspiracy. They're all wrong and you've got it figured out! 😆 what a clown.

It’s the local media connected to the program reporting that. SI reported he had told some boosters and staff he was planning to head out of town. Ultimately, I don’t really care, because I don’t hold it against him for doing what we all do. I don’t get offended by that type of thing but many do. He’s just Looking at opportunities to decide what’s best for him for whatever reasons. The surprise for me is that A&M got that far with him before people started noticing things like a 38% SEC win%, which became a rallying cry for dissenters, and asking what gives. But UK has to do this re-shape the narrative thing to appease the fan base to keep people buying tickets and for recruits and current roster. But I don’t care if he did or not. I just want him to get some things corrected. Honestly, it has felt like he needed a new challenge elsewhere…just how things have run the past couple of seasons he just seems more manufactured and canned to go with excuse making. I’m hopeful this can serve as a wake up call to him that maybe he needs to get style of play etc fixed and play both sides of the ball although it feels like he is still searching to me for what his thing is on that side of the ball. Saturday could also could make him feel more ‘stuck’ where he is. I guess we’ll see.
Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

Listening to it and reading between the lines, key staff not coming was the deal breaker for one or both sides. Not sure who backed out first. Jmo it was a&m. I don't think they placed such a lofty value on only stoops
They'd already been turned down by four other coaches. Stoops was Plan E. Aggies thus get an "F" on their coaching search and fire. 😊

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
We have all been waiting for this for the past 11 years. He’s never corrected anything and he won’t start now.
I don’t disagree do I expect it after this long? No. I just don’t think he knows how. I even saw where a former player from early in the stoops tenure here backup qb Reese Phillips last week was saying ‘I love stoops but he has always had a problem meddling in the offense and has to just let it go’

Stay miserable Karen
I’m not even mad…I just choose to take with a grain of salt KSR when it’s not rosy/fun UK stories. They are not a reputable media in stuff like this

But cool name calling

I don’t disagree do I expect it after this long? No. I just don’t think he knows how. I even saw where a former player from early in the stoops tenure here backup qb Reese Phillips last week was saying ‘I love stoops but he has always had a problem meddling in the offense and has to just let it go’
His Mom was a knockout.

• Wow
Reactions: entropy13
Who?

Pete thamel
Billy liucci
Sports illustrated
Saturday down south
Etc

And that makes the most sense. Stoops turned them down? Right

I’m not even mad…I just choose to take with a grain of salt KSR when it’s not rosy/fun UK stories. They are not a reputable media in stuff like this

But cool name calling
I guessed your first name based on your screen name.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Meddling" - If Stoops was the Def Coordinator I could see that argument, but he's the Head Coach.

Whatever year they hired Dooley. I can't remember the year but just that the fans messed up a good hire by blackballing Schiano. I think aTm did the same thing. They didn't want Stoops but think Mark Stoops from Wish is a great hire.
Best part of that was Tennessee had already inked a deal with Schiano and then had to pay him millions for not following through on the contract. So the dude got millions for a job he didn't have to work a day of!

And the previous AD tried to hire Mike Leach, which got him canned. I hate Tennessee but I wonder what Leach could've done there.

Square the circle for me: why would Liam Coen come back here only to have his offense "meddling" with? He was in the NFL, Sean McVey rarely fires anyone, much less someone he mentored for yrs. Or based on his 2021 results he could have gotten lots of other CFB OC jobs. So why'd he return?

Reactions: Girthang
If Stoops didn’t leave because his assistants couldn’t go with him he’ll just leave when they can go with him next time. I don’t buy the story, but it doesn’t signal Stoops is here for the long haul.

Looking at this logically-

Fact-
Stoops WAS mentioned as one of the guys at the top of the list for A&M by multiple media outlets at least 2 days before the last game.

No denying it.
No "fan backlash" on message boards for days.
No question it was known A&M was reaching out to Stoops, not the other way around.

Fact-
A&M are the ones who leaked the story that "the deal was done" because of WHO leaked it initially. UK media sources did not and would not (look at WHO reported it) say it was a done deal. Reputable reporters were waiting on confirmation and only referring to the rumors.

No question Stoops needed time to think about what they finally offered him after the game.
No question the A&M terms were not as good as his current UK contract, (according to the terms shown in the finalized contract, and the negs on this board), or that info would've been leaked by either party.

It's more likely the "done deal" reports were to force his hand and the lack of immediate denial from Stoops was that he was considering, was using this as a media opportunity, or countering with his own terms telling A&M just WHAT IT WOULD TAKE for him to take their job. Either way, the EXTREMELY LATE "backlash" is extremely sketchy and very hard to believe (unless you already have an agenda against Stoops).

There's no question A&M was shocked and offended that Stoops didn't jump on the deal, or the spin wouldn't be so demonstrative, public, and drawn out.

NO QUESTION that, if fan opinion REALLY mattered as the negs and A&M sources contend, the Duke HC wouldn't be the guy either. He's proven less and produced less when SOS and conference are legitimately considered.

Do I think Stoops might have been prepared to leave? Probably, but only for the right amount of money and other terms. Maybe he WAS expecting a big contract offer that he could publicly turn down and use to his advantage in recruiting. It would be interesting to know, but is pretty moot as of 2 days ago.

Time to move on, even if the negs will try to use it to hurt the program for the next 30 days.

Square the circle for me: why would Liam Coen come back here only to have his offense "meddling" with? He was in the NFL, Sean McVey rarely fires anyone, much less someone he mentored for yrs. Or based on his 2021 results he could have gotten lots of other CFB OC jobs. So why'd he return?

Except there's no question Stoops has input and influence on in game playmaking decisions and has admitted it on several recent occasions.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
Looking at this logically-

Fact-
Stoops WAS mentioned as one of the guys at the top of the list for A&M by multiple media outlets at least 2 days before the last game.

No denying it.
No "fan backlash" on message boards for days.
No question it was known A&M was reaching out to Stoops, not the other way around.

Fact-
A&M are the ones who leaked the story that "the deal was done" because of WHO leaked it initially. UK media sources did not and would not (look at WHO reported it) say it was a done deal. Reputable reporters were waiting on confirmation and only referring to the rumors.

No question Stoops needed time to think about what they finally offered him after the game.
No question the A&M terms were not as good as his current UK contract, (according to the terms shown in the finalized contract, and the negs on this board), or that info would've been leaked by either party.

It's more likely the "done deal" reports were to force his hand and the lack of immediate denial from Stoops was that he was considering, was using this as a media opportunity, or countering with his own terms telling A&M just WHAT IT WOULD TAKE for him to take their job. Either way, the EXTREMELY LATE "backlash" is extremely sketchy and very hard to believe (unless you already have an agenda against Stoops).

There's no question A&M was shocked and offended that Stoops didn't jump on the deal, or the spin wouldn't be so demonstrative, public, and drawn out.

NO QUESTION that, if fan opinion REALLY mattered as the negs and A&M sources contend, the Duke HC wouldn't be the guy either. He's proven less and produced less when SOS and conference are legitimately considered.

Do I think Stoops might have been prepared to leave? Probably, but only for the right amount of money and other terms. Maybe he WAS expecting a big contract offer that he could publicly turn down and use to his advantage in recruiting. It would be interesting to know, but is pretty moot as of 2 days ago.

Time to move on, even if the negs will try to use it to hurt the program for the next 30 days.
I know we’re guessing but…
How csn you surmise texas am deal was not as good as current Uk deal. Then Texas am was shocked stoops didn’t jump on an offer …those two statements don’t make sense

To get a guy to get up and leave a place he’s content at (maybe stoops isn’t as content) you have to give a person more to leave imo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT