ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch on KSR now

Recruiting just went south.
Maybe NIL transfers but getting in on top 20 guys in high school? He couldn't recruit them at BYU. Pope is a unknown in high level high school recruiting.

Scared scared scared.

We’ve got the brand, the money to pay them now, and he runs one of BY FAR the most exciting offenses in the country.

But no, kids aren’t going to want to play for a top offense, while making the most money, for the brand Kentucky.

Lmao some of you are just flat RETARDS.

Mitch said 2 upper tier guys that weren't interested in going to BYU have already called Pope about coming to Kentucky

Did he say upper tier or that they were players Pope couldn't get to visit BYU?

I don't believe this.. Pope was not recruiting "upper tier guys". Maybe a dude in the 50s or 60s but no upper tier guy

I thought he was talking about 2 of his current players who were graduating from BYU but can transfer.

I think Mitch is actually a stone cold killer masquerading as Andy Griffith, and it pisses you people off. Sure he makes mistakes, but he showed Cal’s full house a four of a kind by pocketing $33 million for the program, and THAT is huge. So to Cal I would say this: guess it IS all about the administration.

Agree....I think I was totally wrong about Mitch.

Mitch sounds tired. He has obviously been working this hire, non-stop and was likely up all night getting it done with Coach Pope. He obviously got what he thinks we need. And, if we are being truthful, this is what we were asking for in so many ways. A guy who can coach, a guy who understands UK and the culture and passion we have. The NIL support is there now unlike before. I hope he "wins the press conference" and everyone gets behind him. Supporting Coach Pope here!

@bookerfan66 pound sand. Pathetic how some of our fans are acting today.
Truly pathetic people are laughing at people for being excited about hiring a guy who is literally everything this board has been clamoring for for years. Program first guy, fully understands the importance of the program, will recruit program players who stick around. It's UK, UK, UK with Pope and his approach and people are looking for bridges to jump off.

It isn't recruiting I am worried about. With the style Pope plays, you don't need a roster full of elite 5 star athletes. Fundamentally solid guys who are smart and can shoot are what is required. Pope can get those kind of guys, especially with the kind of NIL money UK can provide. The real question is, is Mark Pope a good enough coach to win at a high level? That is a question that remains unanswered, since he has yet to win a single NCAA tournament game. Hiring someone so unproven is an enormous risk. That is why so many people flipped out when we made the jump from Drew/Hurley/Donovan and went straight down the to the guy most people would have at 50th or 75th on their list of choices, bypassing other coaches who have at least been to Final Fours and Elite 8s.

I now am mildly excited. Keeps getting better.

I’m cautiously optimistic. It’s gonna be different in a lot of ways, but mostly a breath of fresh air.

UConn's recruiting class last year had ONE guy rated in the top 40.

One.

And three that were 90+.
They also only have the 24th ranked class for next year. Two four star guys, one ranked in the 30s and the other the 80s.

You know it’s one thing to be upset and throw shade at Mitch for going straight to Pope as the third guy on the list (at least that’s how it appears). But it’s another thing entirely to be as classless and tasteless as some are being to Pope.

This is likely his dream job. And I’m not talking Cal pretending this was his dream job, this is Pope’s actual dream job. And he’s not a crap coach. He’s had to recruit players to a COLLEGE that doesn’t allow SEX or CAFFEINE. Think about that for a minute.

In any event, be as mad as you want at Mitch, but let’s all throw in our full support to Pope. He loves our program as much as we do and he has the support of the boosters which Cal didn’t. If it doesn’t work out it doesn’t work out, but Pope is one of our own and he deserves our respect and support.

I hope Rupp Arena is packed Sunday...packed. it would be unbelievable. I'm going to do what I can to get down there.

Mark Pope is going to breathe new life into UK Basketball.

The morg family will be there I have it on good authority. Now that we know the NIL is good to go he will get the players because of his personality and offense.

People I lost my sht at the Reed event last night. ( which was so awesome). But look into this more.

1. Brand
2. Modern offense olayers want.
3. WE CAN PAY THEM a lot of money.
4. Energetic young coach.

It’s all you need know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT