ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch has some blame

It (the contract) would be more understandable if he had won 3 championships and was more endearing. He's not John Wooden or Dean Smith or even Coach K from the aspect that K essentially made Duke.

Saying Mitch has some blame is like saying Hitler could've done more to avoid the Holocaust
Had they won the war they would have been shipped to Madagascar where they could be monitored, as was the plan all along. So yeah he could have avoided it with a better game plan, similar to what we see here.

Immediately after Barney makes his Cal speech on why he brought him back, the President and Board should call a meeting, and immediately fire Barnhart…. Will it happen no, but it should. They are all in this giant piece of horseshit together, and nobody is going anywhere.

Reactions: TM2013
I think Mitch is kicking himself over that contract now.... Anyone with a brain knows is turned out to be a bad deal... Will Mitch be in the mood for Cal's BS when they meet? I doubt it. UK is in a real pickle with all this bad decision making. Cal could have made it easier on everyone with a little adaptation and humility yesterday, but, let's be honest, he can't keep his mouth shut.

I think Mitch is kicking himself over that contract now.... Anyone with a brain knows is turned out to be a bad deal... Will Mitch be in the mood for Cal's BS when they meet? I doubt it. UK is in a real pickle with all this bad decision making. Cal could have made it easier on everyone with a little adaptation and humility yesterday, but, let's be honest, he can't keep his mouth shut.
Mitch is too much of an idiot to handle any of it properly. If he'd cared about our basketball tradition Cal would've been gone after 2021.

A majority of the fanbase would have been livid if he would have let Cal walk. However, giving a 10 year contract with a 75% buyout clause was giving all the power to Cal. Had he just given a 7 year contract with a 60% buyout, we would be looking at an $11 million buyout right now.

Reactions: Bterhune
A majority of the fanbase would have been livid if he would have let Cal walk. However, giving a 10 year contract with a 75% buyout clause was giving all the power to Cal. Had he just given a 7 year contract with a 60% buyout, we would be looking at an $11 million buyout right now.

yeah, very true. BTW, here is a thread from April 1, 2019 showing how the fans did react at the time. It is very interesting considering how many of those same fans are now calling Barney an idiot for giving that contract.

yeah, very true. BTW, here is a thread from April 1, 2019 showing how the fans did react at the time. It is very interesting considering how many of those same fans are now calling Barney an idiot for giving that contract.

There were some disappointed. We just stayed out of it.

Reactions: TheBlueMist
There were some disappointed. We just stayed out of it.

Some did. Some didn't. I saw another thread with Bass and Fishers Blue going at it pretty good. What is telling are the posters who are bashing the contract now but bragged about it then. Admittedly most of them are probably not around anymore or changed their usernames. But I did see some familiar names.

The point is not to call anyone out but to point out that, at the time, many didn't think it was that bad of an idea. i didn't see any of my own posts on the subject but I need to dig deeper to see what I said! LOL

Barney has, yes, has always been the problem. Him giving Cal a lifetime deal was a big reason Cal lost his mojo.
I have no problem with the contract. Cal's not the only one around with a big contract and by all accounts the money isn't the issue in firing him. He gave the contract at a time when the fanbase was truly scared Cal was gonna bolt. He did what he had to do to keep him and keep everyone happy.

But yes Barnhart is to blame for a lot of this. He let Cal run around off the chain for far too long. Cal operated with no oversight and was allowed to make some dumb staff decisions. It's easy to slack at your job if there's literally no consequences to fear. Any professional relationship where the subordinate overpowers his boss is bound to fail.

Don’t forget Stoops’ contract. He is paid higher than 3/4 coaches in the the CFP this past year. The only thing that rivals how bad Cal’s defense was this year was Stoops’ D during that abortion of a bowl game against Clemson. Next year is shaping up to be all-time disasters in both football and basketball.

But that’s OK. UK is a rifle school anyway

Heard on the HOB that Mitch wasn’t one driving the extension. Almost as if he didn’t want to give it to Cal. I don’t know, but that’s what Sisk said.

Heard on the HOB that Mitch wasn’t one driving the extension. Almost as if he didn’t want to give it to Cal. I don’t know, but that’s what Sisk said.

That would not surprise me. Mitch is in a tough spot. I certainly would not want his job.

Reactions: UKortho
Folks are putting this contract on MB now, however, it's not like he gave it to him yesterday 10 years removed from a FF and going on 6 early exits.

The contract was done when Cal was the biggest show in basketball. He had the league coming after him.

Also, everyone seems to act like they were against the contract. I don't remember hearing anyone crowing to let Cal go.

At the time, had MB not done the deal and Cal left. Ya'll be complaining right now about should've would've could've kept Cal if MB had just signed the contract.

Everyone was punch drunk not only on a title and FFs, but don't lie and act like you didn't bask in all the NBA glory and being culturally relevant/cool.

Folks are putting this contract on MB now, however, it's not like he gave it to him yesterday 10 years removed from a FF and going on 6 early exits.

The contract was done when Cal was the biggest show in basketball. He had the league coming after him.

Also, everyone seems to act like they were against the contract. I don't remember hearing anyone crowing to let Cal go.

At the time, had MB not done the deal and Cal left. Ya'll be complaining right now about should've would've could've kept Cal if MB had just signed the contract.

Everyone was punch drunk not only on a title and FFs, but don't lie and act like you didn't bask in all the NBA glory and being culturally relevant/cool.

It was widely supported at the time but there were some very strong critics as well. I linked one thread on the subject in my last post above this one.

Someone brought this up on MJ's Twitter space last night. At the end of the 2018-19 season UCLA supposedly reached out to Cal and offered him $8M/year. So Mitch upped the ante and we are where we are today. So, in 2019 if you're Mitch do you take that chance and tell Cal to walk? After all the post season success, should've been better in the NCAAT given the talent I'll grant you. But was there a hotter coach in college bball at the time. If you let him walk to UCLA, can you imagine the backlash back then not just from the fans but the major boosters and donors. Or was Mitch forced in a sense to make the deal to keep Cal.

Knowing what we know now over the past few seasons, should Mitch have let Cal walk? Yeah probably.

Mitch turned around and gave Stoops a just as ridiculous contract. He has zero negotiating skill.

UK would owe a $50million + buyout to Stoops

Mitch and Cal are both utter disasters. And college administrators are ALWAYS full of it so of course they're not going to realize that AND not going to care.
Why don't you talk to the UK president and apply for the UK coaching job. I'm sure he will immediately recognize your brilliance and hire you on the spot. Kentucky has the largest concentration of basketball experts just waiting on the call from the UK president to take over the coaching and AD positions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT