ADVERTISEMENT

Missing Out On Jasper and Moreno

W1LDCAT22

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 11, 2013
Paducah
There are now strong rumblings that Kentucky may miss-out on both Jasper Johnson and Malachi Moreno, with Alabama and UNC now looking like leaders for Jasper and Moreno possibly leaning towards Indiana. What's everyone thoughts on possibly missing out on two, high-profile in-state kids to our rivals? It's very rare that the state of Kentucky produces two top-30 highschool prospects, and even more rare that neither may not be suiting up in Kentucky blue.

EDIT: Just seen the similar post about this topic, however, cannot read the OP's message to due having white font lol.

Last edited:
There are now strong rumblings that Kentucky may miss-out on both Jasper Johnson and Malachi Moreno, with Alabama and UNC now looking like leaders for Jasper and Moreno possibly leaning towards Indiana. What's everyone thoughts on possibly missing out on two, high-profile in-state kids to our rivals? It's very rare that the state of Kentucky produces two top-30 highschool prospects, and even more rare that neither may not be suiting up in Kentucky blue.

EDIT: Just seen the similar post about this topic, however, cannot read the OP's message to due having white font lol.
That person you're referring to has been told by many here that his text is unreadable, but he's chosen to be difficult about it. It's his 15 minutes of fame. CMP hasn't coached a game yet for UK, and I'm going way out on a limb here by suggesting that maybe there's been enough folks in the player's circles here in Kentucky that have suggested that CMP was the wrong guy to be picked for UK's coach. And kid's today don't really seem to follow tradition or want to follow in the footsteps of others.

Reactions: Mike-D and Zissou87

Freshman five stars want a guaranteed starting spot and unlimited playing time since they only plan on being there for one year. They'll get that promise at some schools but not at UK anymore. Totally works for me.

Have either set up announcement dates? Really no sense getting worked up until it gets close to them picking a school, the recruiting guys will probably flip their picks several times before then.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I'm way more worried about success in the transfer portal than I am recruiting 5 star 17 year old's now.
With the ability to pick up experienced, proven college players via the portal, you are correct … most high-schoolers are unpredictable at the next level, despite their high rankings, and are often not the best option in recruiting.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Similar to other comments, I'm just not worried about recruiting with pope. I'm not wearing blue tinted glasses at the moment but I just think that the combination of style of play, the UK brand, and pope's personality will make it impossible for him not to recruit at the highest level. I'm still giddy to have Cal gone, true. I know opposing coaches are planting all kinds of doubt in recruit's ears, but that won't last long if they see his system working and they can envision playing in that same system.

I hope your not premature with everything, lol
Party Spraying GIF by Pit Viper

• Haha
Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
With the ability to pick up experienced, proven college players via the portal, you are correct … most high-schoolers are unpredictable at the next level, despite their high rankings, and are often not the best option in recruiting.
I would LOVE to see how freshman under CMP at UK progress versus how they did under Cal.

I'm way more worried about success in the transfer portal than I am recruiting 5 star 17 year old's now.
Yep. Put your money into a known commodity. Sure, you gamble a little with some freshmen, but the big investment sgould be in known value, and physical/mental maturity. I honestly don't care much about HS recruiting much at all anymore. Get guys that fit and will grow.

If Jasper commits to UNC or Bama so soon and without going on an official visit to UK nor giving Pope time to prove his system and build a connection with him, well doesnt that just say we never had a chance and nothing Pope could have done? Jasper is a UNC fan,. dad isnt going to force his son to go to UK just because dad played football here.

Moreno is with ADIDAS........ why do you think Indiana is thought to be his leader? In 15 years how many top 40 players that were with adidas did Cal get? Adidas are going to do everything they can to get Moreno to go to an Adidas school.

Also Moreno didnt grow up a UK fan. now if those 2 were UK fans then yes it would mean Pope fumbled it but they both have situations that Pope can do everything possible and still not land them and its ok.

This NIL era is going to be filled with disinformation being supplied by agents and others trying to drive up the price. I won't believe anything about Jasper Johnson going elsewhere until I actually see it. Anywhere but UK just doesn't compute. I guess we'll see.

Reactions: RunninRichie

A lot of nothing sauce

There are strong rumblings? Where or what is rumbling?
What are your thoughts on POSSIBLY missing out on KY boys?
Guess I could possibly win the lottery.
Let's bow our necks. We will get what we need. As you know, you can't always get what you want.
GBB!

That person you're referring to has been told by many here that his text is unreadable, but he's chosen to be difficult about it. It's his 15 minutes of fame. CMP hasn't coached a game yet for UK, and I'm going way out on a limb here by suggesting that maybe there's been enough folks in the player's circles here in Kentucky that have suggested that CMP was the wrong guy to be picked for UK's coach. And kid's today don't really seem to follow tradition or want to follow in the footsteps of others.
Are u serious? Wow.

Is it hard to get recruits?
Pope just recruited a whole team in a few weeks. Award winning players in some cases (defensive).
We gonna be okay.

I think we all have to be patient and see how everything plays out. A lot of the high profile recruits really didn’t have an idea of who Pope was. Now with him being at Kentucky it will open doors up for him to recruit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT