ADVERTISEMENT

Missed concerts you regret

Glenn's take

All-American
May 20, 2012
1. Tom Petty-Only 1 others is close and it's REM. I'm not sure how I've been to as many shows in my life and completely missed someone as much as him. I know I had tickets for a concert at Freedom Hall that got canceled and wasn't made up right around the time the YUM Center opened. I would have loved to see him. I have been to a UK/Florida game at the Swamp when they sing I Won't Back Down and it's pretty cool.
2. REM.-If anyone tells you that it's a good idea for 2 people to drink a 1/5th of Jim Beam between Louisville and Lexington on the way after already drinking at home is a good idea they are FOS. And that was the only time I was REM. Why?
3. Black Crows_ The nigh they walked out after 1 song.

I never saw Tom Petty. I was offered a free ticket once at Rupp Arena but I didn’t go because ‘I didn’t feel like it’

I had a ticket to see Sonic Youth but had to miss it because I wrecked my car.

I saw iron and wine at the Dame and left after about 4 songs because i literally couldn’t hear the music over the people talking.

Had a free ticket to KISS and Alice and Chains around 96/97. I regret not going to that one. My favorite band as a kid and my favorite band of the 90's.

Also there was one weekend where Arcade Fire played at the Dame and Ryan Adams was at Bogarts in Cincinnati. Boss said I could only have one of the nights off so I went with Ryan Adams. I’ve now seen him 4 times. I saw arcade fire at the yum center and it was awesome, but damn would it have been awesome at a little venue

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
Had a friend in college who, at the last minute, asked me to road trip to Louisville to see J. Geils (top of their popularity at that point). I liked several of their songs and heard they put on a really good show but had an engineering test the next morning and didn't go. U2 opened for J. Geils at that gig. Damn!

For two of the greats that died...

Had 6th row for Elvis at Rupp
Had tix to see Led Zepp in Cleveland for their 1980 show and then Bonham left us.

Van Halen - Freedom Hall in 1984
Bruce Springsteen - Freedom Hall in 1985

I was 12-13 years old and judged by my parents to be too young to attend .

It would have been December of 1995 or May of 1996, but James Brown played in Louisville. I wouldn’t go because I had my final exam in Contracts the next morning during my first year of law school. A buddy went and raved about what a wonderful show it was, and he did just as well on the test as me.

Aerosmith with opener Guns N’ Roses, April 1988, Freedom Hall.

I was 8. Begged my parents to go. Dad was on board. Mom found GNR highly objectionable and vetoed it. I went on to become a GNR fanboi to my mother’s chagrin.

Not a missed concert per say, but Metallica was SUPPOSE to open for Ozzy at Meskers Outdoor Theatre in Evansville back in the day. Metallica's guitar player broke his arm,,, riding a FN skate board. So Metallica did not play. But as a nice consolation, Ozzy played for 3 hours. Man that Jake E lee solo and Ozzy pulling him across the stage by his hairs is just bad ass. Jake E Lee is my favorite guitar player ever, dude could flat out bend those guitar strings.

My friend had media passes to Warped Tour, Mayhem, and other festivals back about 10-15 yrs ago. Needed a 2nd guy to shoot video while he did stills. Wish I'd have taken him up on that. Tons of great bands.

Tom Petty at Rupp. Turned down a ticket, still mad at myself over it.

Would have liked to have seen Prince too, but never had a good opportunity. Same for Waylon Jennings.

Reactions: stuway
Had tickets for Van Halen, circa 1983-1984, but Eddie broke a thumb, I believe, and did not get rescheduled for that tour. Never saw them.

Aerosmith Twice

Tossed out of Rupp because of a disagreement with the authorities right before they came out.

Also could not get to the arena a few years later due to bad weather.

Now I am not sure I want to pay $400 a ticket.

Thumper and the Plaid Rabbits at Toy Tiger. My friends told me it got crazy that night.

Lot of Petty in here and for good reason. Wish I had the chance to see him. Watched them play Refugee on SNL as a kid and became an instant fan. One of the greats.

Van Halen - Freedom Hall in 1984
Bruce Springsteen - Freedom Hall in 1985

I was 12-13 years old and judged by my parents to be too young to attend .
Saw Bruce at Rupp that year .. or 84 ?? I missed Toby Keith in pikeville , freaking covid year cancelled everything . also missed Sammy kersaw for 10 bucks at the local county fair 2 years ago .. forgot he was there . Missed Whitesnake at an outdoor venue near Detroit last year .. ugh . Also missed martina Mcbride for free at a venue in vegas when she was performing at a business conference for a wholesaler I did biz with .. We couldnt get outta bed !!

Could've seen Pink Floyd on the Animals tour in 76 or so but couldn't get off work. Never got the chance to see them again.

• Wow
Reactions: Get Bucket$
Saw Bruce at Rupp that year .. or 84 ?? I missed Toby Keith in pikeville , freaking covid year cancelled everything . also missed Sammy kersaw for 10 bucks at the local county fair 2 years ago .. forgot he was there . Missed Whitesnake at an outdoor venue near Detroit last year .. ugh . Also missed martina Mcbride for free at a venue in vegas when she was performing at a business conference for a wholesaler I did biz with .. We couldnt get outta bed !!
Martina Mcbride and Sammy Kershaw, man I would be kicking myself for missing out on those 2, especially being way past their prime.

David Bowie at The Marat in Indy.
Small venue, as compared to the much bigger arenas throughout the tour.
It was The Reality Tour.

Martina Mcbride and Sammy Kershaw, man I would be kicking myself for missing out on those 2, especially being way past their prime.
Saw those two and many more HUGE 90s country artists for free at the old Louisville Motor Speedway. The shows were put on by WAMZ and we went to every one they had as we lived right down the street. Great times.

Prince. Talked about trying to get tickets the last time he played in Louisville (4 shows at the Palace) but $100 tickets just weren't in the budget. He died less than a year later.

Poison in like 6th grade: parents wouldn’t let me go.

Beach Boys in 4th grade: rained out

AC/DC Back in Black: Didn’t think AC/DC was any good.

That last one…. wtf was I thinking????

Reactions: Catman100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT