ADVERTISEMENT

Mikhail McLean the 5th coach

Dec 10, 2023
Bob's Country Bunker

Boom Bang GIF - Boom Bang Shot GIFs

Agree totally.
But sometimes all someone needs is a chance on a bigger stage to bring out their potential.
That’s even with jobs / promotions us average people have.
It seemed to me the coaching staff for major operations was set, he could be on for numerous reasons. Nobody will know exactly why or what his job will entail. Maybe Brooks always thought he was gonna be good so he got him a chance. National team coach and learned under Sampson so he sounds solid, may have some ins on international prospects.

Last edited:
It has been fun watching Coach Pope pick his assistants. I don't really believe our recruiting will drop off any we are UK!
I actually think recruiting is likely to be better. Not in regard to recruiting service rankings, but actual team results oriented recruiting – meaning recruiting to compete for championships on a nearly yearly basis with zero regard to draft board potential. Recruiting based on planning rosters ahead multiple years, and forecasting what a player can be in his 2nd or 3rd year. That’s not an approach likely to receive #1 recruiting class titles - because those "titles" are not based on basketball production and impact on winning - but if your staff has really good basketball minds and eyes it’s the way to build a consistent winner usually in the hunt in March.

I actually think recruiting is likely to be better. Not in regard to recruiting service rankings, but actual team results oriented recruiting – meaning recruiting to compete for championships on a nearly yearly basis with zero regard to draft board potential. Recruiting based on planning rosters ahead multiple years, and forecasting what a player can be in his 2nd or 3rd year. That’s not an approach likely to receive #1 recruiting class titles - because those "titles" are not based on basketball production and impact on winning - but if your staff has really good basketball minds and eyes it’s the way to build a consistent winner usually in the hunt in March.

Totally agree. Gonna be so refreshing to turn on the radio after a big win on a cold winter night and listen to Pope talk in the postgame interview......I haven't listened to them for years.

Totally agree. Gonna be so refreshing to turn on the radio after a big win on a cold winter night and listen to Pope talk in the postgame interview......I haven't listened to them for years.
I know what you mean, it got to where I couldn’t stand hearin Cal talk. He said the same stuff win or lose and it was rarely about the game. Just his usual platitudes of rebounding, playing tougher, being a team. I really hated when a player he hadn’t given a shot in months saved a game. Then he would talk about how they earned a spot or made him play them only to never be seen again.

Last edited:
The question is…… is he better than Brad?

I don’t know anything about our new guy other that he’s been coaching at a high level for a while…. so I’m going to say, “Yes, he’s better than Brad"

Reactions: thebluestripes
Well said—just picking as many five stars without regard to roster makeup was our old bag. We now have a coach who understands and appreciates the difference. UConn ain’t going out there and plucking whatever five star they can get, they are filling a roster. Seems like Pope will follow that formula, which is exciting.

Seems like a random hire, but sounds like hes close to Alvin Brooks. So, assuming he thinks he’ll be a good fit!
This is amazing! How is it that any of us think we are so well connected or that we are so good at connecting random internet rumors to determine the basis for why our head coach would hire an assistant? Have any of you had a conversation with Mark Pope or the AD to even have obtain enough creditable information for even a half @ss guess why this hire was made?

Well said—just picking as many five stars without regard to roster makeup was our old bag. We now have a coach who understands and appreciates the difference. UConn ain’t going out there and plucking whatever five star they can get, they are filling a roster. Seems like Pope will follow that formula, which is exciting.
I don't think Pope is following anything. I think Pope is doing his own thing that just happens to be what other good/great coaches are doing. It only appears to be rocket science because what we watched Cal do for way too long.

I don't think Pope is following anything. I think Pope is doing his own thing that just happens to be what other good/great coaches are doing. It only appears to be rocket science because what we watched Cal do for way too long.
I agree didn’t mean he was copying anyone’s plan specifically, just that he is using the advanced metrics and roster formulation that most elite coaches are also employing. He’s certainly blazing his own path. It’s refreshing after the last few years of just throwing a bunch of talented freshmen out there and hoping for the best. I’m more excited for this coming season than I have been in a long time.

I know what you mean, it got to where I couldn’t stand hearin Cal talk. He said the same stuff win or lose and it was rarely about the game. Just his usual platitudes of rebounding, playing tougher, being a team. I really hated when a player he hadn’t given a shot in months saved a game. Then he would talk about how they earned a spot or made him play them only to never be seen again.
“ I gotta find a way for Whoever to get more minutes “

Never ever finds a way for that player to get more minutes.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
I agree didn’t mean he was copying anyone’s plan specifically, just that he is using the advanced metrics and roster formulation that most elite coaches are also employing. He’s certainly blazing his own path. It’s refreshing after the last few years of just throwing a bunch of talented freshmen out there and hoping for the best. I’m more excited for this coming season than I have been in a long time.
Sorry for misinterpreting your post. I am equally excited about this coming season. It will be exciting to actually see a coach on our bench who actually believes he is responsible for preparing his players for games instead of the NBA. Preparing them for games should align with prepping them for the NBA but our past poser thought it was reasonable to sacrifice team success in the name of trying to make guys OAD players when they clearly weren't.

Reactions: Atrain7732
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT