ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Leach to Mississippi State

Pirate of the Mississippi! Great title for a Harlequin romance novel. Is Fabio still modeling? He could pose as ML for the cover.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Had a few brief conversations with him during his UK days. Very interesting fellow. He could discuss the Battle of Sharpsburg as easily as football.
I talked with him too when he was at UK at a coaches event in Princeton, KY he is also an attorney too and a very smart man. The SEC is a different animal, he knows this, it will be interesting to see how this goes.

He coached at Texas Tech 2000-2009. I'm sure he was in the top 5 of the B12 some years but certainly not every year.

Team Defense

2000 - 31st
2001 - 47th
2002 - 89th
2003 - 101st
2004 - 68th
2005 - 19th
2006 - 77th
2007 - 51st
2008 - 74th
2009 - 41st

That averages to 60th, playing against some truly terrible B12 teams. Those defenses would get killed in the SEC.
During the decade, Oklahoma (Big-12) won a national championship in 2000 season and played UF Gators in the 2008 national championship game. UTexas (Big-12) won a national championship for 2005 season and played the Tide for the title again in 2009. 2008 and 2009 were also Bo Pelini's first two seasons at Nebraska in which he built some formidable defenses.

Leach fielded competitive TTU teams over that decade. Whether he replicates such success in Starkville is an entirely different story.

ML always seems to end up in down on their luck programs.

He is an interesting character. I would love to have him in the SEC

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
He coached at Texas Tech 2000-2009. I'm sure he was in the top 5 of the B12 some years but certainly not every year.

Team Defense

2000 - 31st
2001 - 47th
2002 - 89th
2003 - 101st
2004 - 68th
2005 - 19th
2006 - 77th
2007 - 51st
2008 - 74th
2009 - 41st

That averages to 60th, playing against some truly terrible B12 teams. Those defenses would get killed in the SEC.
Now do our offensive ratings.

Totally random, but I was looking at Washington State Football history and look at these back to back staffs:

HC - Dennis Erickson
OC - Bob Bratkowski
DC - John L Smith

HC - Mike Price
OC - Joe Tiller
DC - Mike Zimmer

As long as Stoops is our coach, I look forward to facing Leach every season. Could be proven wrong, but I wouldn't gamble on his iteration of the Air Raid working in the modern SEC.

I'd feel differently if he had evolved it at WSU. Read a breakdown a year or so ago that something like 85% of his pass play calls are still Mesh, Y-Cross, and Four Verticals.

Last edited:
As long as Stoops is our coach, I look forward to facing Leach every season. Could be proven wrong, but I wouldn't gamble on his iteration of the Air Raid working in the modern SEC.

I'd feel differently if he had evolved it at WSU. Read a breakdown a year or so ago that something like 85% of his pass play calls are still Mesh, Y-Cross, and Four Verticals.

Or if they'll give him the time require to flip the roster so he can sign guys who are a fit for the Air Raid.

I hope he does great except for 1 game a year. He was a big part of 2 exciting years here at Kentucky that led to the stadium expansion. Who knows when they would have ever gotten around to updating those ugly endzones if not for the excitement level he helped bring? Things definitely weren't happening very fast for football all the way up until Stoops got here.

I’m a big fan of Leach. Will be fun to see how we fare against him. Mississippi State is such a tough job with that division. It’ll be interesting to see how he does. I suspect he’ll struggle next year in the transition of being a run heavy to an air raid team.

We have an incredible amount of personalities in the SEC West now. It’s going to be a blast.

Or if they'll give him the time require to flip the roster so he can sign guys who are a fit for the Air Raid.

Leach has shown he can have really good offenses without a loaded roster. He had walk-on QB's set records. So it isn't like he has to totally rebuild the offense. As long as he has an accurate QB that can hit the short and medium distance passes he will do well quickly. I'm sure the MSU roster is made up of much better talent overall than he had at WSU.

During the decade, Oklahoma (Big-12) won a national championship in 2000 season and played UF Gators in the 2008 national championship game. UTexas (Big-12) won a national championship for 2005 season and played the Tide for the title again in 2009. 2008 and 2009 were also Bo Pelini's first two seasons at Nebraska in which he built some formidable defenses.

Leach fielded competitive TTU teams over that decade. Whether he replicates such success in Starkville is an entirely different story.

Didn't OU also play LSU and USC in BCS title games in the 2000s? Big 12 was pretty damn good those years.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
I wouldn't expect MSU to make any kind of big jump under Leach. I would expect them to be between 5-8 wins a year consistently, which is where they've been in the past. I wonder if the Air Raid has been used so much now that it will have reduced effectiveness in the SEC. We saw it with the Fun 'n Gun in Spurrier's last years at USC when their offense slipped pretty badly. I would also expect MSU's defense to morph into a porous mess unable to stop anyone consistently.

SEC west defenses will eat that offense up.
I agree. He'll be going against some of the top DB's in the country and that's not mentioning the overall defensive strength of the SEC. He did have some success at TT but most was in 2008. His record against ranked teams at TT was 13-31, 1-2 against the SEC. He'll be in a meat grinder in the SEC West. It'll be interesting, that's for sure.

Reactions: THE_OAK
I wouldn't expect MSU to make any kind of big jump under Leach. I would expect them to be between 5-8 wins a year consistently, which is where they've been in the past. I wonder if the Air Raid has been used so much now that it will have reduced effectiveness in the SEC. We saw it with the Fun 'n Gun in Spurrier's last years at USC when their offense slipped pretty badly. I would also expect MSU's defense to morph into a porous mess unable to stop anyone consistently.
Agree. I think we will see a little less than Mullen's success at MSU. Having to Play Auburn, LSU, Bama and TAMU every year, plus Kentucky and Ole Miss under Kiffin every year is tough as hell!

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
Mike Leach has been a 7-9 win a season coach his whole career and is around .500 in bowls.

Miss State and most middle tier P5 type programs will take that all day every day and twice on Sunday.

It's what we have here at UK with CMS...after a few years of building, we're on track to be a 7-9 win program pretty regularly and CMS is .500 in bowls...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT