ADVERTISEMENT

McDonalds A-A game events coming up - scrimmage, Jam Fest, girls and boys games. Fland, Quaintance, Knox.

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Sunday: McDonald's All-American scrimmage (4 p.m. ET on ESPN+)
Monday: McDonald's Powerade Jam Fest (7:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2)
Tuesday: McDonald's All American girls game (6:30 p.m. on ESPN2), McDonald's All Game boys game (9 p.m. ET on ESPN)

Image-3-30-24-at-2-23-PM.jpg
Image-3-30-24-at-2-23-PM-1.jpg

Smash, not sure if this is what they are televising or not-but saw that on Monday afternoon ESPNU has HS Basketball with 2 one hr time slots. That's usually been the Women's and Men's Scrimmages-which used to be shown live, but possible they are taped this year? My guide is saying 11/12 Central time so Noon/1pm EST so maybe the scrimmages shown taped? Usually show the men's 2nd--so I'm recording both hoping it's scrimmage action as I've enjoyed those more than most games-although last year was a well played/competitive McDonald's AA game.

It really is amazing we have 6 committed recruits yet we’re a complete after thought at the MCDAAG. 3 recruits there. Knox and Fland are in the second tier of prospects no one cares about at the game. JQ is closer to the top but is written off based on his age.

I am curious to see what McNeeley has to say in his interviews. Seeing rumors KU would prefer to add a transfer potentially instead. Will Cal take a similar view?

This time last year:

On3 MVP: 5-star CG DJ Wagner – Kentucky​

Carrying over from the morning practice, DJ Wagner brought an aggressive mindset that shined during the scrimmage. The 6-foot-3 Kentucky signee started the game with a hesitation dribble left, two attack dribbles downhill, and a soft floater from 15 feet. In past viewings, Wagner was dead set on getting to the rim every time, and while he still runs into this, the feel in the midrange shows growth in his game moving forward.

6. 5-star C Aaron Bradshaw – Kentucky​

Aaron Bradshaw teased onlookers with his shooting upside during the morning practice session. During Sunday’s scrimmage, the 7-foot-1 center provided a full viewing of his face-up abilities. Bradshaw was confident when he caught the ball in the mid-post, showing footwork and multiple moves from different angles. The five-star knocked down a two-dribble pull-up going right, a catch-and-shoot three from the left wing, and an and-one jump shot over Baye Fall from 18 feet, and off the bounce.

This time last year:

Carrying over from the morning practice, DJ Wagner brought an aggressive mindset that shined during the scrimmage. The 6-foot-3 Kentucky signee started the game with a hesitation dribble left, two attack dribbles downhill, and a soft floater from 15 feet. In past viewings, Wagner was dead set on getting to the rim every time, and while he still runs into this, the feel in the midrange shows growth in his game moving forward.

Aaron Bradshaw teased onlookers with his shooting upside during the morning practice session. During Sunday’s scrimmage, the 7-foot-1 center provided a full viewing of his face-up abilities. Bradshaw was confident when he caught the ball in the mid-post, showing footwork and multiple moves from different angles. The five-star knocked down a two-dribble pull-up going right, a catch-and-shoot three from the left wing, and an and-one jump shot over Baye Fall from 18 feet, and off the bounce.
Lol, Bradshaw was the second coming of LaMarcus Aldridge according to this report.

It really is amazing we have 6 committed recruits yet we’re a complete after thought at the MCDAAG. 3 recruits there. Knox and Fland are in the second tier of prospects no one cares about at the game. JQ is closer to the top but is written off based on his age.

I am curious to see what McNeeley has to say in his interviews. Seeing rumors KU would prefer to add a transfer potentially instead. Will Cal take a similar view?
Where are you seeing those rumors. Our insiders are saying the kid is a KU lock.

Boogie Fland (Kentucky) has a strong leadership quality about him. He is very vocal throughout the practice, and very encouraging. Fland can shoot the ball and he moves it into good situations.

5-Star C Jayden Quaintance(Kentucky) is so powerful on the floor. His explosion is hard to miss and is strength helped him secure rebounds on both ends. The shot was not falling today, but he finished well around the rim and showed great defensive upside as the youngest player at the event.

This time last year:

Exactly why I don’t care about this game one bit.

Reactions: Fox2monk and UKMKG
Lol, Bradshaw was the second coming of LaMarcus Aldridge according to this report.
Bradshaw was a rail thin freshman who averaged like 13 points a game in HS and who missed all of summer and the first month of the season. LOL at acting like he can’t develop. Y’all haven’t stopped trashing this kid since your pathetic lies about how he would never play a second. He was 10x more supportive of this team than any of you so called UK fans who have done nothing but trash him all season.

Bradshaw was a rail thin freshman who averaged like 13 points a game in HS and who missed all of summer and the first month of the season. LOL at acting like he can’t develop. Y’all haven’t stopped trashing this kid since your pathetic lies about how he would never play a second. He was 10x more supportive of this team than any of you so called UK fans who have done nothing but trash him all season.
I’m sorry if calling him a bust — which he was by every conceivable metric — offends you. He may be able to develop but his ceiling is somewhere between Skal and Naz Reid. Just not impressed and will not lose sleep if he transfers.

To me a "bust" is a player who never develops. A bust is NOT a player who isn't instantly good. One look at Bradshaw last summer and you had to KNOW he wouldn't make an immediate big impact, even if he wasn't hurt, due to how thin and weak he was/is. Same as Collins. I do think in a year or two Bradshaw will be pretty good.

I'm watching the McD practice scrimmage on tv right now. Fland looks ok. I'm thinking Teague like.
Quaintance while strong for his age, and can overpower other 16-19 yr olds, won't be over powering 20-24 year olds. Oh, and he pulled an Edwards (had the rim block his dunk when standing under it).
Knox hasn't impressed either, but at least looks more physically mature than many FR we've had.

This just confirms what I've thought, this group might not be bad, may get some solid contributions from them, but they are NOT going to be the main guys (top 3-4) on any team that wins more than 15-18 games.

I'm watching the McD practice scrimmage on tv right now. Fland looks ok. I'm thinking Teague like.
Quaintance while strong for his age, and can overpower other 16-19 yr olds, won't be over powering 20-24 year olds. Oh, and he pulled an Edwards (had the rim block his dunk when standing under it).
Knox hasn't impressed either, but at least looks more physically mature than many FR we've had.

This just confirms what I've thought, this group might not be bad, may get some solid contributions from them, but they are NOT going to be the main guys (top 3-4) on any team that wins more than 15-18 games.
One thing I like about UK's incoming class is that there might be a number of program builders in there - i.e., non-OAD players. Knox is the only one I've read stuff about being hell-bent on being OAD.

• Haha
Reactions: STL_Cat

5. Five-Star Plus+ C Jayden Quaintance, Kentucky

As the days have grown, the comfort level for Jayden Quaintance continues to become more apparent. Quaintance, still 16 years old, is the youngest player in the event. He is an explosive player around the basket, showing a lot of explosive burst. The upside with Quaintance is big. He has some physical traits that simply cannot be taught. In the practice today, he rebounded well and he finished above the rim, playing through contact. As he continues to learn the finer nuances of the game with angles and footwork, there is a lot of ceiling to continue growing into.

6. 4-star SF Karter Knox, Kentucky

Karter Knox continues to show a composed and efficient game in this setting. Even with questions about body language and fire coming in, Knox has competed both days and proven to be an effective shot maker. Knox got into the mid-range for a couple of pull-up jumpers, but he also knocked down some catch-and-shoot threes. He looked like a plug-and-play type at the next level who can finish plays on the offensive end with low volume and get out in transition to for some easy buckets. There is wonder about the high-end upside for him, but his floor continues to rise.

4-star PG Boogie Fland (Kentucky) has shown natural leadership throughout the event. He knocked down shots today, he has good form and a soft touch. He also touched the paint well and made plays. Very solid showing.

I’m sorry if calling him a bust — which he was by every conceivable metric — offends you. He may be able to develop but his ceiling is somewhere between Skal and Naz Reid. Just not impressed and will not lose sleep if he transfers.
A dude who averaged 13 points in HS and missed the first 6 months of practice as a freshman wasn’t a bust, your expectations were.

These posts should be banned.
How can anyone be excited about a new crop of freshmen? Pushing older guys out and taking spots from grown-ass transfers?

These posts should be banned.
How can anyone be excited about a new crop of freshmen? Pushing older guys out and taking spots from grown-ass transfers?
Love the board policing in this regard. Instead of talking about future players and their development for next year, you want to repeat the same whiny stuff that's already been beaten to death in most other threads.

It's sad how far this board has fallen in terms of good basketball discussion.

Love the board policing in this regard. Instead of talking about future players and their development for next year, you want to repeat the same whiny stuff that's already been beaten to death in most other threads.

Very good point.

I am upset about the end of our season, the results of the last 4 seasons and Cal’s poor performance on the bench. I would like a coaching change.

But, bitching about it in every single thread, including threads about other topics is a) redundant b) tired c) old hat.

We all get it. Some posters seemingly copy and paste the same comment in every thread.

These kids mean nothing... other than to say they put in their season at UK, so we can have the most NBA all-stars and brag about how we changed their lives.
Their presence translates to an unbreakable cycle of mediocracy. There isn't one transcendent player among them. By celebrating (or even acknowledging) this, we are contributing to the further deterioration of UK basketball.

Reactions: yes_takeaside
Very good point.

I am upset about the end of our season, the results of the last 4 seasons and Cal’s poor performance on the bench. I would like a coaching change.

But, bitching about it in every single thread, including threads about other topics is a) redundant b) tired c) old hat.

We all get it. Some posters seemingly copy and paste the same comment in every thread.
Yes agreed, I've been very frustrated for a while with the direction of the program and coaching too, but it'd be nice to at least have some threads where there could be a good discussion on how future players are progressing.

Seems like Fland is not necessarily flashy but will be a steady presence, and Knox will come in more college-ready than Edwards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT