ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe Mitch is a genius

Mar 30, 2024
Maybe he is much smarter than all of us combined and Pope will take us to the Final 4 next year. Mitch either can’t read a room or he has some big 🏀 🏀. I’ll be honest, I know nothing about Pope (the coach).

Last edited:
Guys out there playing chess meanwhile our boy Mitch. Genius.

Winner Win GIF by Cracker Barrel

I'm still in shock.
Here are the coaches we hired since I followed UK starting in 1976:

Sutton
Pitino
Smith
Gillispie
Calipari

I think Mitch will either be a genius or a dork, no in between.

I won’t proclaim Pope a failure (if he’s our guy) until he actually fails. Not my top pick, but I’ll support him if the job is his until he shows me why I shouldn’t. And with the budget he hopefully has, he can get a great staff that can bolster recruiting and attract some great transfers. And the guy 100% knows what UK bball means to the fans, which is something Cal simply ignored the last decade of his tenure here.

He’s not my first (or fifth) choice, but if he’s the guy I’ll hope like hell he succeeds.

I’m over the shock and I’m fine with it now. He will be better than Cal. We don’t need the flashy 5 stars, Hurley has proven that. We have to win the portal and money talks. The Kentucky exposure will get us players plus Pope is one of the nicest humans alive. This could be our version of Hurley.

Maybe he is much smarter than all of us combined and Pope will take us to the Final 4 next year. Mitch either can’t read a room or he has some big 🏀 🏀. I’ll be honest, I know nothing about Pope (the coach).
Mitches 🏀🏀 weren’t big enough for pastor Scott.

Mitch is lousy at his job. Pathetic. College basketball is laughing at us right now.
AD of the year in 2019 and nominated several other times, UK athletics overall has been a regular top 20 program in the rankings in the last 10 years so yeah he’s pretty good at it.

AD of the year in 2019 and nominated several other times, UK athletics overall has been a regular top 20 program in the rankings in the last 10 years so yeah he’s pretty good at it.
So good that pastor Scott and hurley said no way do I want to work with you.

He could get lucky doesn't change the fact that Pope is unqualified for the job at this moment. This reeks of panic and following UNC and Duke.

Reactions: CatPhight
He’s never had a top 50 recruiting class.

Arkansas just hired one of the best recruiters in modern history.

Go on down there, chase pigs, and draft nights with him.

Folks, this is what it was always going to be once Cal left either via retirement on his own term or early retirement.

Nobody is going to recruit like he did, but remember all that bitching about not necessarily wanting or even needing top tier recruiting classes anymore...

It's time to go back to program building. Days of winning the offseason are over, I know some of you can't stand to not be in the recruiting headline mix...get the F7*k over it.

Which makes it even more impressive is that in 2019-20 he finished ranked AP #20, 2020-21 finished AP ranked 23, 2021-22 was as high as 12th in the AP, 2022-23 was as high as 12 in the AP, and 2023-24 was as high as 12 in the AP. Tells me the man can coach with less talent

You obviously know nothing about Mark Pope. Pretty sure he's seen at least one final four.

He played in more FF and NC games than Cal ever did.
Oh I’m sorry I didn’t realize Pope was suiting up again. I thought he was brought in to coach. How foolish of me.

He hired Joker, Billy G, and Elzy…..also gave Cal and Stoops ridiculous contracts. Genius is not how I would describe Mitch.

From the second paragraph of the KSR article:

"That $5.5 million per year rate would have put him inside the top 10 nationally this past season at No. 6 overall, behind only Bill Self, John Calipari, Tom Izzo, Bruce Pearl and Rick Barnes. It’s more than what Scott Drew, Dan Hurley, Brad Underwood, Kelvin Sampson and Nate Oats all made, double that of Mark Few and Hubert Davis."

Double that of Mark Few and Hubert Davis? Really?

Last edited:
Pope is one of us and was a Captain of that 1996 team! He is a smart dude so let’s get behind him and let him put staff together and recruit!! 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: tug1543
I am no Mitch fan he gave Cal a lifetime contract, but saying that Pope might be a good hire he was recommended by Pitino and played under him so we need to welcome coach Pope back to Ky.

I’m over the shock and I’m fine with it now. He will be better than Cal. We don’t need the flashy 5 stars, Hurley has proven that. We have to win the portal and money talks. The Kentucky exposure will get us players plus Pope is one of the nicest humans alive. This could be our version of Hurley.
National championship and 4 final 4's... I don't see Mark Pope doing that lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT