ADVERTISEMENT

May Day transfer portal observations

Rembrandt90

Senior
Jun 25, 2018
The spring transfer portal is closing, so it is likely that our spring roster attrition may be complete now. As of this morning, Coach Stoops had filled 82 scholarships on our 2024 roster. So three more 2024 scholarships are still open. Transfers already posted in the portal can declare a decision when they wish.

Here are some players in the spring portal who UK's coaches unsuccessfully recruited when they were hs seniors. This is not intended to be all inclusive, but some of these names are interesting. (Some aren't.)

Cristian Conyers, DB (TN)
Jonathon Denis, OL (Miami)
Andrew Dennis, OL (IL)
Jason Essex, WR (IA St)
Nigel Glover, LB (OH St)
Amir Herring, OL (MI)
Jaylen Johnson, DB (Memphis)
Tony Mitchell, DB (AL)
Koy Moore, WR (Auburn)
Davon Townley, DL (PA St)
Gavin Wimsatt, QB (Rutgers)
Tommy Winton, WR (E TN St)

I can't see Stoops being interested in most of these players now. But he was interested when they were in hs, so you never know. Dennis, Essex, Herring, Mitchell, or Moore might get UK's interest.

Gavin Wimsatt just committed to UK. Interesting.

Contrary to some recent reports, UK is still pursuing DT transfer Brandon Lane.

Reactions: JASUN74
Wasn’t Nigel Glover at Northwestern before Oh St? I seem to recall we tried to bring him in after Fitzgerald got fired(?) I guess he didn’t get much PT? At this point I would guess the ship has sailed on him coming to UK.

Wasn’t Nigel Glover at Northwestern before Oh St? I seem to recall we tried to bring him in after Fitzgerald got fired(?) I guess he didn’t get much PT? At this point I would guess the ship has sailed on him coming to UK.
Glover was at NW 6 months and transferred in Dec. he was only at OSU for the spring semester so of course he never played.

Last year had 1 yard receiving. UK passed on him.
Yeah, but look at the players he was behind. Thought he had good speed? You may be right, but I would feel better with another WR that has some upside. Think we are one WR short on the depth side.

Yeah, but look at the players he was behind. Thought he had good speed? You may be right, but I would feel better with another WR that has some upside. Think we are one WR short on the depth side.
I could be wrong but I think the Karmelo English ship has sailed. However, I will not be surprised at all if Stoops takes one more WR out of the portal before August. Actually, he needs one more pretty bad after the last round of spring departures.

I could be wrong but I think the Karmelo English ship has sailed. However, I will not be surprised at all if Stoops takes one more WR out of the portal before August. Actually, he needs one more pretty bad after the last round of spring departures.
Yeah, I was looking at the top ten available right now and he was one of them. I think we need someone there for depth and a little experience. If not him someone.

Last edited:
Is there another portal period for season? I know the most recent one has closed.

Is there another portal period for season? I know the most recent one has closed.

After reading this link, I presume the next portal window will open in December. But, unless the rules have changed for 2024, grad transfers can relocate to a new program outside these windows.

But, FWIW, if a player entered the portal during the spring window but hasn't announced a new destination yet, he can still make that announcement this summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT