ADVERTISEMENT

Maxey responds to new IQ contract

NBA contracts are off the rails now. Before 1997, Michael Jordan was making $3.8M a year. His biggest year was a one year $33.1M deal. Now you've got role players making more than that.

It’s the explosion of TV money. Where is the money supposed to go exactly? In the pockets of billionaire owners?

The CBA gives the players 50 percent of revenues.

I can't believe TV can influence this much spending in this league. So many bad contracts, and the Hawks have journeymen who never have to bounce another ball in their lives.
Getting Bronny drafted when he doesn't even start in college says a lot about the Lakers.
Wait til they send him out there to guard Reed or Rob.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Isn't Max making like double that?
he hasn't signed his YET. But it will be HUGE. I think in the $240 million range. But, maybe IQ can buy Max some Chick Fil A before he gets his "raise" ? On a serious note, I seriously doubt they eat very much Chick Fil A now days.

Edited : I did some research, his deal is capped at 5 year, ONLY $204 million. His All NBA snub cost him about $40 million. Could have signed in the $245 million range if he had made the All NBA team.

Last edited:
Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
The max is like 255 I think. Still a lot of coin.
read my edit a couple of post above yours. It would have been $245, but when he did not get named All NBA (after Embiid did not qualify for the honor many felt Maxey would), it knocked it down to 5 year / $204.5 million capped. Google the Sports Illustrated article about Maxey, pretty good read and how awards can help or in his case not getting one can severely decide a players contract terms. it is dated May 23rd.

It’s the explosion of TV money. Where is the money supposed to go exactly? In the pockets of billionaire owners?

I know it's TV money. It's just crazy how much they're able to pay and they acquire these products simply to produce advertising. It's just mind boggling to see how powerful advertising is.

he hasn't signed his YET. But it will be HUGE. I think in the $240 million range. But, maybe IQ can buy Max some Chick Fil A before he gets his "raise" ? On a serious note, I seriously doubt they eat very much Chick Fil A now days.

Edited : I did some research, his deal is capped at 5 year, ONLY $204 million. His All NBA snub cost him about $40 million. Could have signed in the $245 million range if he had made the All NBA team.
What a shame. lol

Scotty Pippen got locked up for like 7 years at less than a 1 million per with the Bulls.
The saving grace for Pippen was his post Bulls career.

1998-99Houston RocketsNBA$11,000,000
1999-00Portland Trail BlazersNBA$14,795,642
2000-01Portland Trail BlazersNBA$13,750,000
2001-02Portland Trail BlazersNBA$18,083,564
2002-03Portland Trail BlazersNBA$19,727,524

With that said, he got screwed by a financial advisor as many of these guys do. He also purchased a private jet (a for sure way to go bankrupt unless you're bringing in Oprah/Taylor Swift money). He wasn't good with money and it clearly showed with his decisions.

I’m not saying these players don’t deserve money. Damn the NBA is really overpaying these players anymore!
"Now that's funny!"
USATSI_16418846-1000x714.jpg

It’s the explosion of TV money. Where is the money supposed to go exactly? In the pockets of billionaire owners? YES !
. . . .
THIS ! But then, what's happening in the NBA is no different from the NFL and/or MLB, and no different from WalMart, Amazon, Google, Meta, Microsoft, Chase Bank, Wells Fargo, Goldman Sachs, The Blackstone Group, KKR, The Carlyle Group . . . and on and on. And then there are the rest of us ... :cool:
Nevertheless ... Go 'Cats ! ! !

Let's not forget that the NBA is the third most popular pro league in the U.S. too. MLB does better than them and the NFL blows both leagues doors off in terms of finances.

Reactions: ORCAT
Let's not forget that the NBA is the third most popular pro league in the U.S. too. MLB does better than them and the NFL blows both leagues doors off in terms of finances.

The NBA’s current media rights deal is the second largest in the world for domestic rights at 2.7 billion dollars a year.

The new deal is expected to be 6 billion dollars a year.

The Finals averaged 11 million viewers. The World Series in 2023 average 9 million roughly.

A few charities would be nice. I’m not a communist but I am a Christian who donates my own time and money to those less fortunate than me and I doubt I’ll ever make their max one year salary in my lifetime.

And I’m not bummed about that either, I’m not money obsessed. It’s just hard seeing athletes with so much and firefighters, cops, teachers, enlisted military, homeless veterans, starving children, kids in orphanages, etc.

Again, it’s their money and they can do what they want with it. I accept and appreciate that and I want to be treated the same. But when I see one dude with 3 mansions, private security, 2 private jets, 4 yachts, and 8 super cars I start to wonder how different our financial elite is from say to he Roman financial elite. Both in how they’re treated by the public and how they truly view the public.

I am a realist who tends to lean towards cynicism just so people don’t let me down, so that’s where a lot of this rant is coming from too.

The NBA’s current media rights deal is the second largest in the world for domestic rights at 2.7 billion dollars a year.

The new deal is expected to be 6 billion dollars a year.

The Finals averaged 11 million viewers. The World Series in 2023 average 9 million roughly.
I thought I read that MLB made like $14B compared to the NBA's $12B (this was in 2023).

Comparing the viewership of the finals in both sports gets to be apples to oranges based on which markets are being repped. Boston is a huge draw in the NBA, I imagine. The 2021 NBA Finals had viewership similar to the 2023 World Series. The D-Backs and Rangers was a bad matchup for casuals. It's probably a different story if the Dodgers make it.

Reactions: AGEE11
A few charities would be nice. I’m not a communist but I am a Christian who donates my own time and money to those less fortunate than me and I doubt I’ll ever make their max one year salary in my lifetime.

And I’m not bummed about that either, I’m not money obsessed. It’s just hard seeing athletes with so much and firefighters, cops, teachers, enlisted military, homeless veterans, starving children, kids in orphanages, etc.

Again, it’s their money and they can do what they want with it. I accept and appreciate that and I want to be treated the same. But when I see one dude with 3 mansions, private security, 2 private jets, 4 yachts, and 8 super cars I start to wonder how different our financial elite is from say to he Roman financial elite. Both in how they’re treated by the public and how they truly view the public.

I am a realist who tends to lean towards cynicism just so people don’t let me down, so that’s where a lot of this rant is coming from too.
Welcome to the free market where people are paid according to their value to the market, not their value in society. Y’all kick scream and scratch for this system but complain about it when it benefits people you don’t respect.

Welcome to the free market where people are paid according to their value to the market, not their value in society. Y’all kick scream and scratch for this system but complain about it when it benefits people you don’t respect.
I think it's sickening and will be delighted the day it all goes away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT