ADVERTISEMENT

Maui Invitational This Year Looks Fun

bbncal02

All-American
Nov 14, 2017
Hopkinsville
F1-UUgtWIAEoDHJ

Wish we were there......

I remember the times when we were involved ... my favorite early season tournament
Just look at the quality teams in there. Imagine us being in that Chaminade spot. Or Swap them with UCLA and put in that spot. UK vs Marquette for a shot at either UCLA/KU. I mean win or lose that's some fun matchups!

Ugh. Normally this hasn't bothered me but with wonky scheduling in the past few seasons this would have been a blast with the group we've got this year. Imagine seeing DJ and Reed out there against some of these teams. Classic UK BBall.

Just look at the quality teams in there. Imagine us being in that Chaminade spot. Or Swap them with UCLA and put in that spot. UK vs Marquette for a shot at either UCLA/KU. I mean win or lose that's some fun matchups!

Ugh. Normally this hasn't bothered me but with wonky scheduling in the past few seasons this would have been a blast with the group we've got this year. Imagine seeing DJ and Reed out there against some of these teams. Classic UK BBall.
Well, you can't replace the host school. Chaminade is the host and is in it every year.

Cal doesn't think we can win in these early season tournaments and he's probably right. But it doesn't seem to affect Kansas.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
Ridiculous he won’t play in the Maui or PK tourney. Only to lose to Evansville and squeak by Yale.
I think there was bad blood for that PK tourney. But yes, the Maui one there's no excuse. None.....especially when we don't have the Bahamas trip or stuff like the Globl Jam.

We’re always invited. We went once every four years like clockwork (which is the most its rules will allow) until Cal showed up. He shut down that tradition just like he shut down the annual IU rivalry game. Both losses have made our non-con seasons far less entertaining and fun for the fans.

Our last Maui game was 11/24/2010 to our wonderful PITA "friends" UCONN. And it was a loss.

So we went once under Cal, and never again.

So assuming we're invited every year (and declined) that would be 9 invitations turned down (starting in 2014).

Our last Maui game was 11/24/2010 to our wonderful PITA "friends" UCONN. And it was a loss.

So assuming we're invited every year (and declined) that would be 9 invitations turned down (starting in 2014). I am in already to get. Yes.
Yes, we did go once under Cal in 2010, but that was only because that had already been scheduled before Cal got here and he couldn't get out of it. He's made sure we never went again.

And I'm not sure why it's relevant that the 2010 trip included a loss to UConn (that season's national champion, btw). Loss or not, I'd still rather play that game than one of those snoozers to the likes of Farleigh Dickinson that we're now playing that weekend.

It's well known that Cal is the reason we ended the Maui tradition ...but live in denial if you like.

Yes, we did go once under Cal in 2010, but that was only because that had already been scheduled before Cal got here and he couldn't get out of it. He's made sure we never went again.

And I'm not sure what why it's relevant that the 2010 trip included a loss to UConn (that season's national champion, btw). Loss or not, I'd still rather play that game than one of those snoozers to the likes of Farleigh Dickinson we've been scheduling instead.

It's well known that Cal is the reason we ended the Maui tradition ...but live in denial if you like.
Live in denial? Reading with bias I see. Not once in that did I defend Cal, in fact with the context of the rest of my posts in this thread you'll notice I miss going to this and want us to go back.

I only reference that it was a loss to UConn because as usual one of the nice things UK fans enjoyed was ended with a loss to the perpetual thorns in our side. That's a fact as recorded in the books.

Yet we fly to London. Makes sense. Cal's logic is.....well....hell, who are we kidding. There's no logic so some of the things Cal does.
I think it's just Maui's high intensity tourney environment that he wants to avoid.

He doesn't wanna deal with that kind of pressure so early in the season. It's so much easier to instead schedule an easy home snooze-fest against a mid-major or a one game visit to Las Vegas.

I think it's just Maui's high intensity tourney environment that he wants to avoid.

He doesn't wanna deal with that kind of pressure so early in the season. It's so much easier to instead schedule an easy home snooze-fest against a mid-major or a one game visit to Las Vegas.

I'd love to have another reason to figure out a way to get out to Hawaii. Never been. Maui would definitely be on my bucket list.

Live in denial? Reading with bias I see. Not once in that did I defend Cal, in fact with the context of the rest of my posts in this thread you'll notice I miss going to this and want us to go back.

I only reference that it was a loss to UConn because as usual one of the nice things UK fans enjoyed was ended with a loss to the perpetual thorns in our side. That's a fact as recorded in the books.
Everybody's always so damn ready to fight over something that they create disagreements where they don't exist just so they can fight over it. Sad.

So assuming we're invited every year (and declined) that would be 9 invitations turned down (starting in 2014).

I went to that Maui Invitational. I also went to the game against UCONN in MSG. My conclusion is UCONN fans are the worst, most arrogant, entitled people I have ever encountered.

Last edited:
Always loved seeing the Cats in Maui Invitational even when we didn't win
it. Great early season competition to see what we need to work on and fun for the fans. Love to see us back in it.

We’re always invited. We went once every four years like clockwork (which is the most its rules will allow) until Cal showed up. He shut down that tradition just like he shut down the annual IU rivalry game. Both losses have made our non-con seasons far less entertaining and fun for the fans.
We're not always invited. You can't go every year. So when was the last time an invitation was extended and UK said no?

Do you know what you are talking about or not? It's a very simple question.

• Haha
Reactions: STL_Cat
We're not always invited. You can't go every year. So when was the last time an invitation was extended and UK said no?

You're dumber than dog dirt if you don't think UK always has a standing invitation. Do you think they're not gonna want the program that has by far the largest and most avid fan base in the sport? I can assure you we're their first choice simply because we mean the most fans/ratings/money.

To ensure that lots of schools get a chance, the tourney's rules state that you can only go once every four years ..and UK went once every four years like clockwork right up until 2010 ...when Cal was hired. Do you think it just coincidence that tradition stopped right when Cal started?

You're dumber than dog dirt if you don't think UK always has a standing invitation. Do you think they're not gonna want the program that has by far the largest and most avid fan base in the sport? I can assure you we're their first choice simply because we mean the most fans/ratings/money.

To ensure that lots of schools get a chance, the tourney's rules state that you can only go once every four years ..and UK went once every four years like clockwork right up until 2010 ...when Cal was hired. Do you think it just coincidence that tradition stopped right when Cal started?

That dude is a Cal homer.

Do you know what you are talking about? Take Cals junk out your jaws and learn to read. The link posted in this thread said we declined in 2019. Who’s fault was that? Obviously, not Cals. How old are you? Do you realize UK has had other coaches than Cal? Im not so sure you do. Strange indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT