ADVERTISEMENT

Marques Bolden Transfer Watch, '17-18 Edition

At the time Bolden looked like a big loss for us, now he looks like a backup College level center. K kept Cal from getting him and possibly developing him, so that was worth something to Duke. I can't see him transferring but who knows, not many leave Duke they may tell them something may tragically happen to them as they can no longer be responsible for their safety, or that the refs will look with disdain at them for leaving their protection as well.

I agree there's nothing to insinuate he's leaving, at least not yet.

But you've had quite a few transfers recently. Sulaimon, Jackson, Obi and Jeter. Three of those happened in the span of like a year. And they weren't on good terms. Wiltjer, Lee and Matthews, at least to me, seemed to be circumstance transfers. I don't think there's any bad blood there.. where as with the Duke guys.. lot's of issues. Sulaimon and Jackson won't be talking to K any time soon.

Over-promise, under-deliver, seems to be the name of the game.

Reactions: Cindog28 and awf

But you've had quite a few transfers recently. Sulaimon, Jackson, Obi and Jeter. Three of those happened in the span of like a year. And they weren't on good terms. Wiltjer, Lee and Matthews, at least to me, seemed to be circumstance transfers. I don't think there's any bad blood there.. where as with the Duke guys.. lot's of issues. Sulaimon and Jackson won't be talking to K any time soon.

I understand your point, but Frank Jackson was drafted by the NBA.

Duke fans hate when players leave and most fans (myself included) hope the best for them. Ojeleye is a great example of someone overshadowed at Duke and finding real success at SMU. That kid is great.

The current college basketball environment is not what most here would call optimal. I think most kids are given poor guidance from "handlers". Derryck Thorton is a good example of a transfer that is now riding pine at USC. Sulaimon didn't leave himself any room to remain at Duke.

I am hoping that K can use more of his bench in the coming season. Cal certainly does a better job of his players' minutes.

Last edited:

Jackson? Think you mean Thornton. He liked it at Duke, father was the issue and made him transfer. Check out his stats at USC. Probably wasn’t the best idea.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
He’s averaging 11 minutes/game right now. The onetime surefire OAD now looks destined to playing the role of managing Bagley’s sloppy seconds until his junior year.

Does “set for life” mean “stay for life” when it comes to disposable pieces at Duke who don’t fit into K’s legacy expediency?

Bolden just isn’t a very good player. No motor.

Actually, not true at all with Sulaimon. He texted Coach K right after Duke won the National Championship with him watching on TV. Sulaimon also admitted to being selfish and immature. There's an article about this.

Not sure who Jackson is that you're referring to but have you seen the stats that transfer Derryck Thornton is putting up at USC? He's playing nearly half the minutes and putting up half the points, and this is for a guy that's been in college for three years. He just wasn't that good.

Jeter also just wasn't that good...he couldn't shoot outside the paint and couldn't rebound or defend. I would say these were good transfers for Duke. The kids didn't want to wait and get better, they wanted to start and be showcased. That's on them.

Thronton was seduced by dook to move up and skip his SR year. ANd he was leery because he wanted to do the MCD and all star game circuit. Can blame him you only get the one opportunity to do stuff like that. Regardless he isnt that good and wasnt then. dook had no other pgs that year and just like this year with bagley they got their asses saved(somewhat) by a hail mary reclass.

Thronton was seduced by dook to move up and skip his SR year. ANd he was leery because he wanted to do the MCD and all star game circuit. Can blame him you only get the one opportunity to do stuff like that. Regardless he isnt that good and wasnt then. dook had no other pgs that year and just like this year with bagley they got their asses saved(somewhat) by a hail mary reclass.

He would have been ineligible to be a McD AA.

Great idea for a thread. The Duke forums was missing such a thread for Bolden.

He is getting his degree next year while starting. If things still don't work out he can go somewhere else his senior year as a graduate transfer without having to sit a year. IMO if he ends up at UK, I am OK with that. ABC.

Great idea for a thread. The Duke forums was missing such a thread for Bolden.

He is getting his degree next year while starting. If things still don't work out he can go somewhere else his senior year as a graduate transfer without having to sit a year. IMO if he ends up at UK, I am OK with that. ABC.

Stick around. There will be plenty more Duke threads.

His free degree in Sociology, is that his major?, from Duke is far more valuable than a degree in Sociology from UK.

All I’m saying is this guy won’t be serving us French fries, or spreading mulch for a living.

Far more? Do you know some employer that is clamoring for Duke Sociology majors over UK? No one with a Bachelor's in Sociology is 'set for life'. Mulch spreading business pays 'far more'.

Far more? Do you know some employer that is clamoring for Duke Sociology majors over UK? No one with a Bachelor's in Sociology is 'set for life'. Mulch spreading business pays 'far more'.

Yes. A degree from Duke is valued more by an employer over a degree from UK. That is not a debate.

Again, I’m not talking about “set for life” im just saying that walking away from Duke with a degree is not an unworthy pursuit or complete failure. Did he miss out on potential NBA money, probably.

It makes he so happy because he is terrible. I wish he knew that.

Good catch on Jackson. I was thinking of Thornton.

But it's not like Jackson's departure wasn't suspect. Seems he wanted out. He wasn't on the same page with the staff. He was being recruited over.

You can't do 1AD recruiting if you're strictly going to play 5 or 6 man rotations. Cal was able to take a 2nd year Briscoe and have him coexist with two other top10 guards. K was not going to do this. He was going to play whichever guard he thought was better and the other one was going to rot away on the bench.

And wait.. why are we talking about Bolden transfer to UK? Where is this coming from?

I want no part in that, not only do I not want Duke's cast offs. I don't want a kid who can't make a grown-up decision. He should not be able to come to Kentucky because Duke didn't work out like "Ok, I'm ready now". No. Do not want.

I think Bolden is pretty happy at Duke. Transferring? Not seeing it.

K shared in the press briefing after the Indiana game that Bolden's hustle was the spark for the team.

He and Grayson posted a great interview together. It's in the spoiler below -- you want to watch great, most won't and I don't want to seem to be shoving it into anyone's face.

I have no time for that spoiled ass crybaby punk bitch Gayson Allen or anything the flopping little bastard has to say, how about that !!

Don't forget Semi Ojeleye. He was a flat out stud at SMU after getting zero PT at Duke. Now playing great for the Celtics and they are super happy with him.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
K does that though and he’s still landing top OADs. Not sure why you can’t do it.

Because he's lying to them. You've had 5 or so transfers in 3 years (I'm counting Jackson, he would have transferred anyways).None of them are leaving on a good note like Wiltjer or Lee. That says something is up. That says these recruits are being told one thing and delivered another.

And when I say can't, I mean that you can't do it successfully. If you're going to recruit 5 elite players, you better have the minutes to go around.Coach K plays too tight of lineups to be recruiting 3-4 top 10 players a year.

Remember, aside from the one title year, Coach K's 1AD experiment has been a bust. No Elite 8's. I do think he'll walk to a Final4 this year, and it will be seen as a successful season.

1002m.jpg

Because he's lying to them. You've had 5 or so transfers in 3 years (I'm counting Jackson, he would have transferred anyways).None of them are leaving on a good note like Wiltjer or Lee. That says something is up. That says these recruits are being told one thing and delivered another.

And when I say can't, I mean that you can't do it successfully. If you're going to recruit 5 elite players, you better have the minutes to go around.Coach K plays too tight of lineups to be recruiting 3-4 top 10 players a year.

Remember, aside from the one title year, Coach K's 1AD experiment has been a bust. No Elite 8's. I do think he'll walk to a Final4 this year, and it will be seen as a successful season.

Jackson was going to the NBA or staying at Duke. There’s zero information to support your claim he would have transferred. Would Briscoe and Humphries have transferred?

Dukes been unsuccessful in the tournament mainly due to terrible defense. Saying that has anything to do with a combination of OADs and short rotations doesn’t make much sense.

Jackson's camp flat out said they were concerned about being recruited over. And it's not like Jackson was A. a lowly recruit or B. performed poorly.

Briscoe was an absolute liability and Cal still fit him in with two other super talented guards. Jackson would have been a great PG for his sophomore year. But Coach K saw a possibly better PG who he was going to give 35 minutes a game. He squeezed Jackson out.. something Calipari rarely does, certainly not after just one season.

Fact remains.. A title and two early flame outs in their 1AD tenure. That has to be, in some part, due to 1AD.

They probably won't mention baking K's wife any brownies either:cookie:

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Pls remember Bolden to Duke was a win for UK. Fans wanted him so UK would have the top recruited class. Before he became the pawn in that scenario he was not that highly regarded. And that has been born out.

Jackson went pro.
Bolden will likely be Duke's starting center next year.
As to your assertion that people are being lied to, sometimes players are not equal to their ratings coming out of high school. As a Kentucky fan you should know that. Also, none of the players who transferred were top ten. Those guys almost always go pro.

Bottom line, he just isn't very good, no matter who he's playing behind. He wouldn't start on any top team these past couple years.

The shade relative to K is not limited to the Bolden kid,K is a fake,a fraud and gets special treatment by the NCAA every year and the refs in every game.If he was subject to the same rules as everyone else then St.K wouldn't have the success that he does.They are a good team and don't need all the help they get to be good.All the flopping, fouling and stuff they get away with takes away from the enjoyment of the game.
Doc,
What's funny about this whole Duke thing ( I'm not implying there isn't some truth to your theory) is I live in Ohio and the hate here for UK is like it is for us against Duke. They believe we get away with murder, that Cal has the NCAA in his hip pocket and we get all the calls in a close game.
Guess bias isn't limited to Geographic's.

who gives a fuq where dook is rated for academics. we all know everyone knows you go to UK, dook,ku,etc your majoring in BBALL. No way in hell Bolden thought he would actually be pursing that degree, at least not this early in his life.

Reactions: crittel56
If he thinks Jamie Dixon is going to develop him more than coach K, he'll be in for another big disappointing surprise. That would be yet another bad decision.
But in the end it all comes down to Boldon and his lack of effort. Seems lazy to me.
If you recall, TCU was one of the final schools he was considering. Given the fact that his family lives in DeSoto, about 30 miles away, it would give them a chance to see him play. He would undoubtedly get more PT at TCU even though he's just not that good.

Bolden is tall. That's about it. His best bet is to get a degree in something he can make a living doing.
He makes Jared Carter look like Abdul-Jabbar.

Doc,
What's funny about this whole Duke thing ( I'm not implying there isn't some truth to your theory) is I live in Ohio and the hate here for UK is like it is for us against Duke. They believe we get away with murder, that Cal has the NCAA in his hip pocket and we get all the calls in a close game.
Guess bias isn't limited to Geographic's.
Yeah,I'm not surprised there are just about as many Cal haters as K haters but what we see in games on a regular basis is hard to ignore,but it depends on the point of view of the person watching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT