ADVERTISEMENT

Mark pope

wfm101981

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 4, 2018
I like him. I think he's gonna do wonderful here. I just think he gets this kids. Quickly he built a solid squa and albeit he coaches kentucky so it wasn't hard I just think he gets it. Add in his style of play and I think we will be pleasantly supsirsed . With cal it's rinse. N wash. He Gets rhe talent and does less. I'm excited. Eom.

I think his secret weapon is going to be Rick Pitino. Pitino would LOVE for Pope to win big here. Any questions Mark will have about this job, Pitino will be his security blanket. When we play Arkansas, for example, I bet Pitino has a checklist of things that have and haven't worked against Cal in his career.

Last edited:
I like him. I think he's gonna do wonderful here. I just think he gets this kids. Quickly he built a solid squa and albeit he coaches kentucky so it wasn't hard I just think he gets it. Add in his style of play and I think we will be pleasantly supsirsed . With cal it's rinse. N wash. He Gets rhe talent and does less. I'm excited. Eom.
Up drinking late?

I think his secret weapon is going to be Rick Pitino. Pitino would LOVE for Pope to win big here. Any questions Mark will have about this job, Pitino will be his security blanket. When we play Arkansas, for example, I bet Pitino has a checklist of things that have and haven't worked against Cal in his career.
Not many really worked v Cal.

So you think Pitino is going to be the coach by proxy? Will he have time to coach 2 teams? I think Pope can handle it Most things Pit o did against Cal didn't work in his career, so just do the opposite of what Pitino did

Not many really worked v Cal.
Cal won most of the games. But if you're going up against a Hall of Fame, a Hall of Famer dying to beat you to prove a point, wouldn't you call up your Hall of Fame mentor to pick his brain?

The dribble drive isn't as effective if you can do this.

Cal's always been vulnerable to these inbounds plays.

He never fouls up three at the end of games

Etc

So you think Pitino is going to be the coach by proxy? Will he have time to coach 2 teams? I think Pope can handle it Most things Pit o did against Cal didn't work in his career, so just do the opposite of what Pitino did
Never said that. But coaches are always talking about how another coach made a valuable suggestion or tweak. Especially in the Pitino coaching fraternity.

Good point, but Cal had his moments against Rick.

Pope needs to send Pitino to voice mail if he offers any tweaks to use against Calipari.

I don't know. Whatever your thoughts are on Pitino as a person, there are few who come close to his attention to detail. That UConn team that beat us in the 2014 title game? He beat that team by 40 points. He knew how to handle UConn's guards.

A few things things come to mind:

1. Pope has put together a decent and balanced roster in a very short time

2.Pitino would probably ( and may have already done so) go out of his way to help stick it to Cal (for this year)

3. Being the coach at UK probably didn't help as much as we think this time around
but that may change going forward(depending on the overall season and post season he can put up

4. We don't know how good of a coach Pope will be overall or in the SEC. I am looking forward to finding part of the answer to that question next season.

5.Pope's situation at UK probably most closely resembles Joe B Halls first year(oldtimers like me will figure that one out without a long winded explanation on my part) Some will agree and some will disagree

6.Pope is the right blend of age and experience to make a run at this job

Reactions: kywildcat41086
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT