ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Pope message to BBN

Seems like a message to the BYU faithful too. The fact that Pope hasn't had the time to properly say goodbye to the Coogs and have a face-to-face with Perry tells me he really is working his ass off for this Kentucky team. I'm glad he's had a second to chill and compose something for the folks back in Utah.

Go Big Blue!

He sure says all the right things. 99.9% of coaches would be doing everything they could to temper expectations. But not this guy.

Reminds me of his college coach, Pitino, when he arrived here. Pitino said right away we were going to win and win big. He didn't shy away from it. And neither does his protege.

He sure says all the right things. 99.9% of coaches would be doing everything they could to temper expectations. But not this guy.

Reminds me of his college coach, Pitino, when he arrived here. Pitino said right away we were going to win and win big. He didn't shy away from it. And neither does his protege.
Exactly he’s brought it since day 1 and he’s working tirelessly to get the job done. He’s the right guy for this job he understands all the aspects of this position!!!

That is the only way to approach the UK job. If you don’t have supreme confidence and fully embrace the pressure you will fail and fail hard.

Even Cal embraced expectations for the first 6-8 years, and had tremendous success because of it. Then he got lazy and complacent and started acting like the fans owed him something.

That is the only way to approach the UK job. If you don’t have supreme confidence and fully embrace the pressure you will fail and fail hard.

Even Cal embraced expectations for the first 6-8 years, and had tremendous success because of it. Then he got lazy and complacent and started acting like the fans owed him something.
Yes but you knew Cal was all about himself from the beginning too. Pope is a different breed. You can’t put Pope in the same category with Cal because Pope actually cares for the Unversity as Cal never did from day 1.

Exactly he’s brought it since day 1 and he’s working tirelessly to get the job done. He’s the right guy for this job he understands all the aspects of this position!!!
He’s been here a week and doesn’t have a single game under his belt. Maybe we shouldn’t be so quick to go all in just yet. I agree he has passion and understands the culture that is UK, but the question is can he recruit and win to the standards that the fans expect.

He’s been here a week and doesn’t have a single game under his belt. Maybe we shouldn’t be so quick to go all in just yet. I agree he has passion and understands the culture that is UK, but the question is can he recruit and win to the standards that the fans expect.
I totally understand that we will see all that soon enough!

Reactions: BBUK and UKortho
I choose to go all in. I don’t understand people that have to doubt his ability to coach or recruit. Whatever he does I will take over what we had.

To the nattering nabobs of negativity(you have to be a certain age to get the reference🙂) who are playing negative whack-a-mole to every positive utterance from Coach Pope, we all know this is in its infancy. But might I suggest you work just a little bit on not being the turd in the punch bowl.

This year he’s building a team from the portal. Next year will say more about his recruiting after he has a year to show what his game will be at Kentucky and how his recruiting pitch will work

It seems people are still concerned about recruiting. Kentucky will probably never have a top ranked class again. I know you can't win without talent but what did our highly ranked classes get us for the last 6 or 8 years? He's gonna recruit certain types of players for his system and they probably won't be on any NBA future draft projections. That's ok as long as they make a great COLLEGE team. His first couple of years will likely be like Pitino's first couple of years until he gets his system implemented totally.

It seems people are still concerned about recruiting. Kentucky will probably never have a top ranked class again. I know you can't win without talent but what did our highly ranked classes get us for the last 6 or 8 years? He's gonna recruit certain types of players for his system and they probably won't be on any NBA future draft projections. That's ok as long as they make a great COLLEGE team. His first couple of years will likely be like Pitino's first couple of years until he gets his system implemented totally.
I totally agree. You can’t fill a team full of 17 and 18 y/o and expect to compete. Our team makeup will look nothing like the last 15 years. Although I support and enjoy an NBA full of UK players, I want UK (the university) to do well first. CMP will put winning ahead of NBA draft night. If some of our ‘fans’ can’t handle that then they may want to find another team to cheer for.

Last edited:
I was wondering how long it would take for a wet blanket to show up. Pope gets it. Period. UK tradition is not completely about wins and losses. It’s about class, fan support , longevity. We have done it all better and longer than any other school. Fans show up even when we are losing. I think this is lost on a lot of the younger UK fans today. They don’t understand how much this program means to the state, especially us older fans who have been around since the forties and fifties. No matter what happens next season I am all in with Pope because he is one of us. He gets it.

I was wondering how long it would take for a wet blanket to show up. Pope gets it. Period. UK tradition is not completely about wins and losses. It’s about class, fan support , longevity. We have done it all better and longer than any other school. Fans show up even when we are losing. I think this is lost on a lot of the younger UK fans today. They don’t understand how much this program means to the state, especially us older fans who have been around since the forties and fifties. No matter what happens next season I am all in with Pope because he is one of us. He gets it.
I literally said he gets it. Comprehension?

I said we can’t call him a complete success without seeing his ability to recruit or before he coaches his first game.

Wet blanket….ha!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT