ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Pope - BYU

Who is ready for the Kentucky job? He knows the Kentucky culture, has proven he can win in a big conference, and, as far as I know, loves the University. And he is young and can grow into the job. Unlike Cal, who became bull headed, and not fan friendly. Didn't care for the UK brand, only his own. Yes. I want Pope. And ride it out, with a 5 year contract. Probably can save some cash also.

How has he proven he can “win big”?

You stop. You know something no one else knows. No. Let's hire another egotistical, narcissistic, bafoon to lead us.

So everyone other than Mark freaking Pope is an egotistical buffoon* ? (it’s spelled with a u).

What in the world makes you think he is the right hire? If he hadn’t played for UK you wouldn’t even know his name.

Reactions: JFCats22
So everyone other than Mark freaking Pope is an egotistical buffoon* ? (it’s spelled with a u).

What in the world makes you think he is the right hire? If he hadn’t played for UK you wouldn’t even know his name.
Did he take your woman from you? So much hate. Oats seems like a fine person. At least we know if a player is involved with murder, he will have is back. Beat up your girlfriend? Good to go.
Has Pope proven he can't coach?

• Haha
Reactions: jeffrospn
Did he take your woman from you? So much hate. Oats seems like a fine person. At least we know if a player is involved with murder, he will have is back. Beat up your girlfriend? Good to go.

This comment/ reply makes absolutely no sense. None.

Listen man I have no problem having a discussion or debate when there are disagreements but at least act mature about it.

You keep hoping and thinking Mark Pope is the answer tho lol.

Listen man I have no problem having a discussion or debate when there are disagreements but at least act mature about it.

Mark Pope has a better chance of becoming Pope than coaching at UK as HC.

I like Mark Pope...but that's not happening. Plus I wouldn't wish that on him. The next coach at UK is going to be walking into an Inferno. There's going to be the 'Thank God His Highness' is gone clashing with the 'Calipari FIRST' clan for the next couple of years.
Hopefully the Cal first people go to Arkansas and we are left with real fans.

Am I wrong to think he would be a good fit? Would he even be considered seriously? Big 12 guy here and what he accomplished this season was impressive. Seems like his style of ball would do really well at Kentucky, plus he's one of your own. Thoughts?
You’re wrong

People get too caught up in big names. It’s all about timing and fit. Popes teams run beautiful sets on offense. You’d like his style of play. He at this point clearly works harder on game planning than Cal has in years. He’s young and motivated. Is he first in line? Clearly not. But I would be hopefully optimistic if he ended up being the choice.

Reactions: bigbluedon
People get too caught up in big names. It’s all about timing and fit. Popes teams run beautiful sets on offense. You’d like his style of play. He at this point clearly works harder on game planning than Cal has in years. He’s young and motivated. Is he first in line? Clearly not. But I would be hopefully optimistic if he ended up being the choice.
This was my thinking when I started the thread earlier.

Wha

What the hell does that even mean? What has he done that says he can't coach? Does he drink, beat women?

Over the same amount of time, how has Cal proven he can win a big game?

Does he beat women? What are you talking about dude?

First you’re asking if Mark Pope… stole my wife? WTF does that even mean 💀 and now asking or Mark Pope beats women? Are you okay?

No, Cal hasn’t proven it which is why most of the fanbase wanted him fired.

It would be a colossal FAIL if we went through all this trouble to be rid of Calipari only to bring in Mark Pope. He is absolutely not ready nor the coach to take the reins here. Whatsoever. At least not right now.

You wouldn’t even know his name had he not played for UK. The only reason you think “he’d be good” is because he played for Kentucky. Simply being a former player doesn’t automatically = you’d be a successful coach at Kentucky.

Hell; maybe we should call up Travis Ford?

Derek Anderson is a coach for Costa Rica. Should we call him up?

Allen Edwards was the head coach of Wyoming. Should we call him up?

Masiello coached at Manhattan and made the tournament. Should we call him up?

I don’t understand why you’re getting so triggered. I have nothing against Pope and haven’t been rude towards him at all. You’ve gotten your panties in a wad for those of us who have said Mark Pope would be a lackluster hire.

Relax man.

Reactions: Zissou87

Does he beat women? What are you talking about dude?

First you’re asking if Mark Pope… stole my wife? WTF does that even mean 💀 and now asking or Mark Pope beats women? Are you okay?

No, Cal hasn’t proven it which is why most of the fanbase wanted him fired.

It would be a colossal FAIL if we went through all this trouble to be rid of Calipari only to bring in Mark Pope. He is absolutely not ready nor the coach to take the reins here. Whatsoever. At least not right now.

You wouldn’t even know his name had he not played for UK. The only reason you think “he’d be good” is because he played for Kentucky. Simply being a former player doesn’t automatically = you’d be a successful coach at Kentucky.

Hell; maybe we should call up Travis Ford?

Derek Anderson is a coach for Costa Rica. Should we call him up?

Allen Edwards was the head coach of Wyoming. Should we call him up?

Masiello coached at Manhattan and made the tournament. Should we call him up?

I don’t understand why you’re getting so triggered. I have nothing against Pope and haven’t been rude towards him at all. You’ve gotten your panties in a wad for those of us who have said Mark Pope would be a lackluster hire.

Relax man.
Now you're talking.

I was referring to some of the coaches folks want, regardless of their shortcomings. Beard allegedly beat a girlfriend. Oats covering for a player involved in killing. Get it now?
Now, why are you so turned against Pope? Yeah, his record is not years of 25-6 records. But his are improving while Cal's has gone the other may.
You or someone told me to shut up about Pope. Wrong choice of words. That is not a legit reason for not counting him. Plus I heard two different "experts " mention him in the lower 10. So I checked his coaching history and thought.....why not. Their opinions were stronger than any rr warrior on here.

I really like Mark Pope and I've enjoyed seeing the success he has had thus far as a coach.

Seems to me though that BYU to UK is a really big jump and I'm not sure that Pope has enough experience yet to take command of everything coaching at UK entails. I would hate to see a beloved former player chewed up and spit out.

I really like Mark Pope and I've enjoyed seeing the success he has had thus far as a coach.

Seems to me though that BYU to UK is a really big jump and I'm not sure that Pope has enough experience yet to take command of everything coaching at UK entails. I would hate to see a beloved former player chewed up and spit out.

I think the majority of the fanbase would be patient with him as long as it was headed in the right direction. I mean what made Scheyer so special?? I'd take Pope over Pearl's magical elixer used car clown salesman schtict all day long.

i believe there’s a Jayhawk fan on Cougarboard. Coincidence? Or did a Jayhawk fan organically wander over to Rupp Rafters to ask about a random Big XII coach?
The latter. I was impressed with the season they had this year. Obviously, they came in and beat us at home which doesn't happen often. Was impressed with the way he utilized his players and the sets they ran. Happen to think it would translate really nicely to the types of great players you all get each year, so just wanted to float the idea to see what people were thinking and it seems pretty clear from the responses that a) you want a bigger name and b) someone more experienced. Which makes sense. He's maybe someone to keep an eye on the next time a coaching search happens if he keeps on a positive trajectory.

No ill will or hidden agendas here. it's nice we've been able to play each other a fair bit in recent years. Appreciate the input from everyone in the thread!

Reactions: IbnSaran
The latter. I was impressed with the season they had this year. Obviously, they came in and beat us at home which doesn't happen often. Was impressed with the way he utilized his players and the sets they ran. Happen to think it would translate really nicely to the types of great players you all get each year, so just wanted to float the idea to see what people were thinking and it seems pretty clear from the responses that a) you want a bigger name and b) someone more experienced. Which makes sense. He's maybe someone to keep an eye on the next time a coaching search happens if he keeps on a positive trajectory.

No ill will or hidden agendas here. it's nice we've been able to play each other a fair bit in recent years. Appreciate the input from everyone in the thread!

1. No KU fans comes to a UK board, and creates a username to post about idle curiosities regarding Mark Pope. KU forgot about BYU after the next game tipped. Even if there’s a few still thinking about that game, there’s certainly no one thinking to themselves “hey, remember that really tough home loss? Maybe that guy should coach Kentucky. I’ll ask Rupp Rafters what they think.”

2. I’m a Zag. I formed a profile right before the Zags at UK game this year to get recommendations about where to stay and places to see. My story check out.

3. Your post is too kind, which is the BYU way. Go back to Cougarboard: https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=28336367

If all the A list targets say no and all the likely B list targets say no and then Mitch gets over his pride and offers Bruce Pearl and Rick Pitino and Buzz Williams and Chris Beard and they all say no and then we hold our noses and offer Will Wade and Kelvin Sampson and Bob Huggins and they all say no too and then we shrug and offer Matt Painter and he says no and then we throw a Hail Mary pass to Mark Few and he says no and then we get drunk and have a good cry and offer Hubert Davis and John Scheyer and they both say no and then we go through a weird phase and live on the street for a while and offer Tom Crean and he says no and if Frank Martin and Mike White also say no and if Cuonzo Martin and Shaka Smart say no and if we ask Pat Riley just for the gipper and he says no too and if heh heh, sorry, we kind of forgot about you Jerry Stackhouse also says no and if we can’t convince any of Rajon Rondo or Derek Anderson or Tyler Ulis, in that otder, to try their hand at head coaching then sure, by all means: get Mark Pope in here as fast as possible.

Last edited:
  • Haha
1. No KU fans comes to a UK board, and creates a username to post about idle curiosities regarding Mark Pope. KU forgot about BYU after the next game tipped. Even if there’s a few still thinking about that game, there’s certainly no one thinking to themselves “hey, remember that really tough home loss? Maybe that guy should coach Kentucky. I’ll ask Rupp Rafters what they think.”

2. I’m a Zag. I formed a profile right before the Zags at UK game this year to get recommendations about where to stay and places to see. My story check out.

3. Your post is too kind, which is the BYU way. Go back to Cougarboard: https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=28336367
I don't know why you have some kind of unhealthy obsession trying to tie me to BYU. I'm from Kansas, went to KU, like both my parents and numerous relatives. I'm also a fan of the college game overall. I figured I'd get some crap for asking the question, but not from some goofball from Gonzaga, lol. Believe what you want to believe, but I've been on the JayhawkSlant for over 20 years. Not replying any more. Again, thanks to all the non-goofballs who've replied back in the thread. Appreciate the insight, except from this clown, who has none.

I don't know why you have some kind of unhealthy obsession trying to tie me to BYU. I'm from Kansas, went to KU, like both my parents and numerous relatives. I'm also a fan of the college game overall. I figured I'd get some crap for asking the question, but not from some goofball from Gonzaga, lol. Believe what you want to believe, but I've been on the JayhawkSlant for over 20 years. Not replying any more. Again, thanks to all the non-goofballs who've replied back in the thread. Appreciate the insight, except from this clown, who has none.

You’ve also been on Cougarboard for over 20 years: https://www.cougarboard.com/board/bio.html?u=sethj250

Am I wrong to think he would be a good fit? Would he even be considered seriously? Big 12 guy here and what he accomplished this season was impressive. Seems like his style of ball would do really well at Kentucky, plus he's one of your own. Thoughts?
Arrested Development No GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT