ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Few just came off my future coach list

Few is a Gonzaga lifer anyway. Plus he is only 3 years younger than Calipari so it's really nonsense to include him on any " future coach " list. Truth be told, I don't care about future coaches, I just want the Old Cal back. Sadly, New Cal may have eaten Old Cal
It kinda does look like it.

Reactions: CROCAT
Final Fours mean squat. Personally I’m not satisfied coming in 2nd, 3rd or 4th place. I sure as hell know fans of Bama/Clemson wouldn’t be happy just making the playoff or losing the title game.

As for a title, I don’t know one way or another if he could here. But I know his chances of winning one the last couple years have been better than Cal’s.

Do you by any chance hold your life up to the same level of perfection as you do UK basketball? Do you find yourself dissatisfied with your life because you haven't finished first in every thing you have attempted....Your thinking of not being satisfied with anything other than a NC is absurd....

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Barnes has 1 Final Four in 30 years. Couldn’t get past the 2nd round with Kevin Durant & a losing record in the tourney and you’d love to have him?

This may be the best total team that Barnes has ever had, even the Durant team at Texas.

Honest question. Who is a future coaching star that’s doing things radically different enough to outpace Cal & any other coach’s success rate? I’ve tried finding one and can’t.

Brad Stevens.... but we'd have to get lucky and get him on a down swing in boston (eventually it will happen.... even as well as he's doing.. the fans will want him out eventually without a title)

Brad Stevens.... but we'd have to get lucky and get him on a down swing in boston (eventually it will happen.... even as well as he's doing.. the fans will want him out eventually without a title)
I thought that would be who you’d say. I think he’d be a stretch considering he’s making over 7 Mil a year and not dealing with recruiting, compliance, or rabid blueblood fans. Great coach though but the Option B to that would scare me to death.

I thought that would be who you’d say. I think he’d be a stretch considering he’s making over 7 Mil a year and not dealing with recruiting, compliance, or rabid blueblood fans. Great coach though but the Option B to that would scare me to death.

like I said you'd have to get lucky and have us need him when Boston is wanting him out for not delivering a title

That move from Texas was like a shot in the arm that Barnes needed. Watching the post game interview with one of the players
I dread playing them in Knoxville
By then I would hope the guys have a leader on the team and plays with some fight. The vol team I watched today were diving on the floor for loose balls and playing like their life depended on it.

I’d love to have Barnes or Few. That shot wasn’t on Few. Hatchy is a vet that knows better than that. You know Few told them not to let Bowden or Schofield beat them. Lost his head on a screen.
Barnes will not recruit at UK in a way that will keep the fans here happy. Plus his post-season record is not that great.

Do you by any chance hold your life up to the same level of perfection as you do UK basketball? Do you find yourself dissatisfied with your life because you haven't finished first in every thing you have attempted....Your thinking of not being satisfied with anything other than a NC is absurd....
Growing up and in HS my coach always drilled into us to “never be satisfied.” I live by that. Of course there are times where I do get satisfied and complacent but it’s not something I try to let happen very often. If you do something in life then why would you be happy with it unless it’s the very best?

Also, I don’t get paid 8m a year in my life. If I did, I’d sure as hell make sure my employer got their return on investment. At this point Cal is just cashing checks.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Will you still say that when Barnes loses a couple of players and is relying on 3-4 star freshmen? He will be soon.
He’s already got a top 20 player committed for next year. Besides, his players actually stay and develop. Their number of stars don’t matter as much. When you only get players for one year they better be freaking studs.

The race doesn't always go to the swiftest, but that's the way to bet. Barnes history is what it says he is, just like Tubby's. Great coach for a mid-major. Not so much for the elite.

The 32-6 record UK had in 16-17 is better than any team Barnes has ever coached.

And Bruce Pearl, another flavor of the week among the ill-informed, has had 1 team in D1 with that type of record.

That 32-6 was, at best, depending on how much weight you want to put on tournament performance, the 4th best team Cal has had at UK.

Growing up and in HS my coach always drilled into us to “never be satisfied.”

But we're fans. We're not players or coaches or executives who make money from the product.

The point of being a fan should be attempting to glean whatever enjoyment we can. To find hope and to try to make it fun.

I think some analyze the piss out of this thing so that it isn't fun. Or they turn it into a theoretical exercise or something. If you're "never satisfied" as a fan then I don't get why you even watch. History tells you you're going to be disappointed with whoever the coach is.

All that said, this team stinks. That's on Cal. But just generally I don't get the whole "we must strive for perfection" thing from fans because we follow college athletes. I've only seen probably three or four teams in my years of watching at Kentucky who were close to perfect. There have been so many more teams who've been hellaciously fun to watch but you had to kind of stick with them through the tough times.

They had to know they would go to the admiral for that shot and his man left him. That should have been the last thing Few said was don't give him a shot.

Also, Barnes called a time out with 29 seconds to get his team together. Huh

So, after that one call that you disagree with, he’s no longer a great coach? You're an idiot. People like you are the reason other fan bases make fun of UK fans. I guess you’re one of people who think Cal should be fired?

But we're fans. We're not players or coaches or executives who make money from the product.

The point of being a fan should be attempting to glean whatever enjoyment we can. To find hope and to try to make it fun.

I think some analyze the piss out of this thing so that it isn't fun. Or they turn it into a theoretical exercise or something. If you're "never satisfied" as a fan then I don't get why you even watch. History tells you you're going to be disappointed with whoever the coach is.

All that said, this team stinks. That's on Cal. But just generally I don't get the whole "we must strive for perfection" thing from fans because we follow college athletes. I've only seen probably three or four teams in my years of watching at Kentucky who were close to perfect. There have been so many more teams who've been hellaciously fun to watch but you had to kind of stick with them through the tough times.
How much more fun can you have than this? Cats lose, fans question Cal, other fans defend Cal and so it goes. Pages and pages

How much more fun can you have than this? Cats lose, fans question Cal, other fans defend Cal and so it goes. Pages and pages

Good point. This is awesome.

In all seriousness I've always said that Tubby Smith was the best thing to ever happen to UK message boards. Cal's era will never get as...complicated as it got in the Tubby years, but for a long time in Cal's tenure all we could talk about was one-and-dones.

During Few's tenure, the Zags have 1 final four and zero championships in the last 19 years.

Ahem. You may not realize that when Mark Few got to Gonzaga, the recruiting budget ($8,000 a year) ranked dead last in the West Coast Conference.

As of today, there is only one program (Gonzaga) that has currently made it to the Sweet 16 (or beyond) in back to back to back to back years. There are 2 Elite 8's and the National Title game as part of Few's NCAA tourney record of 12-4 the last 4 years. Only Gonzaga and Kansas have won at least one NCAA tourney game in each of the last 10 dances.

Sure, Kentucky has done better during Few's tenure at Gonzaga ... but they're recruiting budget was slightly higher than $8,000 a year ....

"Barnes, hired at Tennessee in the spring of 2015, has put together four signing classes in Knoxville, with an average ranking of No. 69 nationally and No. 10 in the SEC according to the 247Sports ratings."

Good luck with that in the future. Tennessee's six best players are seniors and juniors. It's not going to be easy to maintain this type of success unless you recruit a few elite players in the future..

He’s obviously a different coach now than he was at Texas. What he’s done at TN has been impressive. They were picked dead last in the sec when he took over and now they’re the best team in the league by a good margin, a top 5 team and just beat the #1 team and could have easily beaten the #2 team.

I don’t see them giving up 118, getting beat by 30 to Duke or losing to Setan Hall.

He is no different than when he was at Texas. Time will tell if he learned anything. He hasn't yet. He does have a track record as does Cal.

"Barnes, hired at Tennessee in the spring of 2015, has put together four signing classes in Knoxville, with an average ranking of No. 69 nationally and No. 10 in the SEC according to the 247Sports ratings."

Good luck with that in the future. Tennessee's six best players are seniors and juniors. It's not going to be easy to maintain this type of success unless you recruit a few elite players in the future..
Another question, how the hell is he doing it now?

It's Tubby Smith 02-03 and 03-04, and a lot of other coaches who have hit paydirt in certain recruiting classes.

Tubby snagged Gerald Fitch, Erik Daniels, Marquis Estill, Cliff Hawkins, and Chuck Hayes, and all of them developed into far better college players than anyone could have predicted (maybe Hawkins), with none of them good enough to leave school early (other than Estill, but UK still got 3 years out of him). But then it became Bobby Perry and Sheray Thomas and Brandon Stockton and Shagari Alleyne, and a whole lot of other players who just didn't have the talent to be anything other than mediocre (at best) by UK standards.

People don't want to admit that there's a lot of luck involved with any kind of scouting, college and pro, but it's obvious that there is. No one, anywhere, can consistently find the guys that are being wrongly overlooked and translate that into consistent success. Even if someone finds value in a certain type of mostly ignored player, and is able to exploit that, it won't take long for the competition to catch up, and whatever edge there was will be gone within a few years.

Ahem. You may not realize that when Mark Few got to Gonzaga, the recruiting budget ($8,000 a year) ranked dead last in the West Coast Conference.

As of today, there is only one program (Gonzaga) that has currently made it to the Sweet 16 (or beyond) in back to back to back to back years. There are 2 Elite 8's and the National Title game as part of Few's NCAA tourney record of 12-4 the last 4 years. Only Gonzaga and Kansas have won at least one NCAA tourney game in each of the last 10 dances.

Sure, Kentucky has done better during Few's tenure at Gonzaga ... but they're recruiting budget was slightly higher than $8,000 a year ....
He’d never leave anyways! He’s king there!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT