ADVERTISEMENT

LSU at Kentucky (1)

You’re right about that. Our guys are bigger but their guys are more talented. That Crews kid that hits second flat out killed the ball all night. Of course LSU had the 2nd rated recruiting class last year if I’m not mistaken.

UK really has no identity as a team. We arent like UL or Vandy and lean on pitching and defense. We aren't like LSU and a home run team. We aren't like a west coast team that plays small ball with speed.

We want to be the LSU, I guess? And we're just not.

That's legitimately the type of thing that will kill a clubhouse. Harmon, for instance, is hitless in the game and has looked absolutely lost at the plate. Rather than take him down for Shelby or Hill or Plastiak or Lewis or Grace or the bat boy, they send him out again to get out again.

It wouldn't win you the game, but it helps keep players happier.
Mutiny.

You are correct. What does that tell the rest of the guys on the bench? We don’t think you are good enough to come in and bat when we are getting our asses kicked? Things like tonight are what makes or breaks your bench players. That clubhouse will be divided now.

If I was in the dugout, I wouldn’t have wanted to go in. I would be on the bench eating ice cream from that little truck telling Coach “nah, I’m good.”

• Haha
Reactions: Comebakatz3
UK really has no identity as a team. We arent like UL or Vandy and lean on pitching and defense. We aren't like LSU and a home run team. We aren't like a west coast team that plays small ball with speed.

We want to be the LSU, I guess? And we're just not.
Bottom line is we really need a talent upgrade across the board, especially pitching. We have the facilities but I don’t think we have much else going for us right now.

FYI. The game for tomorrow has been moved to 6:30pm per UK Baseball Twitter account.

Mutiny.

You are correct. What does that tell the rest of the guys on the bench? We don’t think you are good enough to come in and bat when we are getting our asses kicked? Things like tonight are what makes or breaks your bench players. That clubhouse will be divided now.

If I was in the dugout, I wouldn’t have wanted to go in. I would be on the bench eating ice cream from that little truck telling Coach “nah, I’m good.”

Baseball is unique in a way because the team's performance may not be in line with how an individual does. I could go 0-5 with 3 strikeouts and no plays made in the field and we could still win. Similarly, a team can lose and an individual can do well (i.e. Estep tonight) and it can boost their confidence and make them personally happy to have played well. If those bench guys play and do well then you strengthen their confidence and their happiness by allowing them to play. Making them sit through those 9 innings just makes them hold grudges and think they could do better.

Bottom line is we really need a talent upgrade across the board, especially pitching. We have the facilities but I don’t think we have much else going for us right now.

Certainly couldn't hurt, but even when we have recruited well we have under performed. So development continues to be an issue as well.

Certainly couldn't hurt, but even when we have recruited well we have under performed. So development continues to be an issue as well.
Development has been poor under this coaching staff. I’m not sure we’ve ever recruited well since Mingione has been here. His two best teams were primarily made up of the prior coaches recruits. Maybe Mingione can borrow Vince Marrow for a couple months a year to recruit.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Development has been poor under this coaching staff. I’m not sure we’ve ever recruited well since Mingione has been here. His two best teams were primarily made up of the prior coaches recruits. Maybe Mingione can borrow Vince Marrow for a couple months a year to recruit.

Well... our current recruiting coordinator is Will Coggin. Will was so highly thought of that he wasnt coaching baseball at all prior to Mingione hiring him.

That being said... we have had some recruiting wins. Heck, the freshmen are possibly better than some of the upperclassmen.

Reactions: SeanCain
Well... our current recruiting coordinator is Will Coggin. Will was so highly thought of that he wasnt coaching baseball at all prior to Mingione hiring him.

That being said... we have had some recruiting wins. Heck, the freshmen are possibly better than some of the upperclassmen.
Maybe the freshman are better because they haven’t had time to screw them up yet!

Yep I totally forgot about that. That’s a great point.

I was at the game last night. QUick thoughts:

-Pathetic effort all the way around. Was really disappointed that a poor-hitting and reeling LSU team absolutely had their way with our Friday night starter in every single inning. We were lucky not to be down more runs sooner.

-Defense kept us in it for a while, but we fell apart in the 9th inning. Multiple errors, even from our reliable SS.

-LSU fans are something else. A bunch of them there last night, even when they stink and during a pandemic with limited seating.

-Good UK crowd. Great student turnout. Too bad it was wasted.

-Still don't understand the rock seating. Those should at least be benchback seats. Weird decison by UK when they built the stadium like that.

-UK bats were pitifully silent. We have several hitters in the lineup that seem to have zero hope of delivering a hit (Church, Harmon). I echo the others above, it made no sense that we didn't try Shelby and others during the latter innings.

Hope we can bounce back tonight. Really need to win this series.

-Pathetic effort all the way around. Was really disappointed that a poor-hitting and reeling LSU team absolutely had their way with our Friday night starter in every single inning. We were lucky not to be down more runs sooner.

-Defense kept us in it for a while, but we fell apart in the 9th inning. Multiple errors, even from our reliable SS.

-LSU fans are something else. A bunch of them there last night, even when they stink and during a pandemic with limited seating.

-Still don't understand the rock seating. Those should at least be benchback seats. Weird decison by UK when they built the stadium like that.

-UK bats were pitifully silent. We have several hitters in the lineup that seem to have zero hope of delivering a hit (Church, Harmon). I echo the others above, it made no sense that we didn't try Shelby and others during the latter innings.

Check the tigers SEC schedule so far . They in 1-8, but the played a murder's row schedule. Agree. that doesn't excuse a 1-8 record so it's quite possible it's a very good indication where we're headed. Sure hope not.

Let me echo the rock seating. It is horrible and a waste of space in my opinion.

Reactions: wildcatwolverine
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT