ADVERTISEMENT

Love what Pope is doing, but don't we need some forwards?

Jun 29, 2018
From what I've heard Williams and Garrison are pretty much centers, so that leaves us with one doesn't it? Carr. And from I hear, we are considering Poplar as well, who is another guard. Not joining the negative nancies or anything, but I'm getting concerned about being guard heavy.

There's going to be so much movement in the offense, they'll think we have five players. :D

Snl Chucky GIF by Saturday Night Live

Osobor was supposed to be our big four, the four who was actually going to make the four our strongest position. And if you look at per shot/per minute stats, BOTH Carr and Garrison are as good as him or better in every scoring category EVEN IF you don’t count perimeter shooting which they can both do and Osobor could not do.

We need to replace Osobor’s rebounding. But as far as offense he’s already been replaced. With a combination of guys that can put more firepower on the floor at one time than we thought we would have when we thought we were getting him. So offense from the PF spot is hardly our problem. Sure it would be nice to have one more post player for subbing. Hopefully we’ll get one. But even without one we are a long way from being exposed at PF.

Last edited:
Different teams in recent years w a lot of success in running w 4 guards and a big. If Pope goes w that at times during games I expect they will play well w the quality of the guards that will be on the roster.

The roster is not yet complete, and by all accounts the staff is working their asses off. I’m sure they realize what holes need to be filled. We should probably wait and see how things play out.
This year you take the best you can get. Bench depth is probably going to be HS kids you try to develop. Unfortunately Pope didn’t have the opportunity to recruit the HS kids to fill out the roster this year.

My guess in future years the roster will be 7-8 portal and returning players and 4-5 HS recruits.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
My bad. I apologize. I think I took your worrying as nitpicking/taking shots at the coach.
Not at all. I was on board with the hire from the jump. As I said in another thread, nobody could have reasonably expected us to be Top 20, let alone contenders, given the situation. I think Pope's done far better than anyone thought he would. First time I have been pumped for the season to start in almost a decade.

From what I've heard Williams and Garrison are pretty much centers, so that leaves us with one doesn't it? Carr. And from I hear, we are considering Poplar as well, who is another guard. Not joining the negative nancies or anything, but I'm getting concerned about being guard heavy.
And here we F'N go!!!

It took a whole 3.5 weeks for the stay at home coaches to start criticizing Pope. I'm sure he is fully aware of what players he needs and the positions needed to fill.

I knew you people wouldn't leave him alone.....

This board is so Toxic

• Haha
Reactions: lazycat75
UK has nine scholarship players, seven with experience. I think they definitely need that one more all-around combo type piece who can shoot, good handle, be a 5th starter who can make plays such as:

Robinson 6-7/190, 35.4% 3pt, 90.8% ft, 1-year eligibility
Wells 6-8/205, 41.7% 3pt, 81.4% ft, 1-year eligibility
Poplar 6-5/197, 38.5% 3pt, 86.4% ft, 1-year eligibility
Shulga 6-4/200, 41.5%, 87.6%, 1-year eligibility
ETC.

I would also like a possible multi-year portal underclassman type for the rotation, such as:
Chisom Okpara 6-8/225, Sophmore, 16.5-ppg, 5.0-rbpg, 2.0-astpg
Desmond Claude 6-6/207, Sophmore, 16.6-ppg, 4.2-rbpg, 3.2-astpg

I forgot Achor Achor and JT Toppin!!!

Just a thought........

UK has nine scholarship players, seven with experience. I think they definitely need that one more all-around combo type piece who can shoot, good handle, be a 5th starter who can make plays such as:

Robinson 6-7/190, 35.4% 3pt, 90.8% ft, 1-year eligibility
Wells 6-8/205, 41.7% 3pt, 81.4% ft, 1-year eligibility
Poplar 6-5/197, 38.5% 3pt, 86.4% ft, 1-year eligibility
Shulga 6-4/200, 41.5%, 87.6%, 1-year eligibility
ETC.

I would also like a possible multi-year portal underclassman type for the rotation, such as:
Chisom Okpara 6-8/225, Sophmore, 16.5-ppg, 5.0-rbpg, 2.0-astpg
Desmond Claude 6-6/207, Sophmore, 16.6-ppg, 4.2-rbpg, 3.2-astpg

I forgot Achor Achor and JT Toppin!!!

Just a thought........
My guess is they will get one of those scoring SFs and a development big and be done.

And here we F'N go!!!

It took a whole 3.5 weeks for the stay at home coaches to start criticizing Pope. I'm sure he is fully aware of what players he needs and the positions needed to fill.

This board is so Toxic
So, let me get this straight, one has to be 100% party line at all times? Nobody can ever state concerns about anything or it will be taken as "criticizing". Do you not get that discussion boards are for the exchange of ideas and that even people, like me, who are very much supportive of Pope, can have a thought that you might not agree with? Views like the one you just unleashed are what is toxic.

And here we F'N go!!!

This board is so Toxic
It’s a legit concern though
We know how the SEC is

And no one has said Mark couldn’t get or doesn’t know what players are needed

I’m excited about the new regime and can’t wait for the season. But I’m not gonna blindly accept everything just because

This is a conversation..no one is bashing anything

It’s a legit concern though
We know how the SEC is

And no one has said Mark couldn’t get or doesn’t know what players are needed

I’m excited about the new regime and can’t wait for the season. But I’m not gonna blindly accept everything just because

This is a conversation..no one is bashing anything
Thank you. I really hope this board can get rid of this in-fighting and people going after each other. Disagreements are fine, but let's keep it cordial and stick to the game and the team. Posters playing keyboard warriors is just boring and annoying.

Thank you. I really hope this board can get rid of this in-fighting and people going after each other. Disagreements are fine, but let's keep it cordial and stick to the game and the team. Posters playing keyboard warriors is just boring and annoying.
Of course my friend

That’s what ran us into so much trouble with the last coach. Blindly following and believing every word.
It allowed his situation to get out of hand and that’s why we’re where we are now

Reactions: kywildcat41086
So, let me get this straight, one has to be 100% party line at all times? Nobody can ever state concerns about anything or it will be taken as "criticizing". Do you not get that discussion boards are for the exchange of ideas and that even people, like me, who are very much supportive of Pope, can have a thought that you might not agree with? Views like the one you just unleashed are what is toxic.

Your thread is a legit one and it's a discussion board so 100% agree all valid opinions should be allowed.

Fans have been questioning coaches on this board for decades. It's what we do. Lol.

That’s why Osobor is acting hastily I think. He would get plenty of minutes. Oh well, there have been 3 of the best available transfers that just entered that are NBA prospects as big wings and forwards. Let’s snag a couple if they return to college for sure.

Reactions: Bluegrassking
I want 2 more guys. Give me a super scoring wing, who will be this years Reeves. Maybe Robinson is that guy?

I would love to have one more big, PF. Ready to roll with that.
Definitely both of those, I would like to add a top of the line Guard too. Someone who can play a little PG and score.

Not being smart.
I wonder if the staff ever reads our posts (especially mine) and shake their heads? 😂
I want you and others to know I am impressed with your knowledge of available players, their positions and stats.

Osobor was supposed to be our big four, the four who was actually going to make the four our strongest position. And if you look at per shot/per minute stats, BOTH Carr and Garrison are as good as him or better in every scoring category EVEN IF you don’t count perimeter shooting which they can both do and Osobor could not do.

We need to replace Osobor’s rebounding. But as far as offense he’s already been replaced. With a combination of guys that can put more firepower on the floor at one time than we thought we would have when we thought we were getting him. So offense from the PF spot is hardly our problem. Sure it would be nice to have one more post player for subbing. Hopefully we’ll get one. But even without one we are a long way from being exposed at PF.
Osobor averaged 0.267 rebounds per minute last season.

Amari Williams averaged 0.32 rebounds per minute two years ago and 0.34 rebounds last season.

Minute for minute, Williams is actually a better rebounder than Osobor.

Give Williams the same minutes Osobor had last year, and Williams is averaging 11.5 rebounds per game. That's poor-man's Oscar range.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT