ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville Post Game Show: Racist Meltdown?

Kenny was qualified to get a head coaching job just not a big one. When a big time program hires the right guy the results are almost immediate. Not sure what KPs contract looks like but he’s clearly not the guy and UL would be smart to move on quickly.

Someone will, but I have no idea who would want it. It's still a Top 10 historical program.

Wonder if someone one like Mike White would or if Chris Beard hops from Ole Miss.
I have not thought of Beard but you might be on to something there. It all depends on how he does at Old Miss in the next few years.

Kenny was qualified to get a head coaching job just not a big one. When a big time program hires the right guy the results are almost immediate. Not sure what KPs contract looks like but he’s clearly not the guy and UL would be smart to move on quickly.
8 milllion to move on.....ouch. We are all in the wrong line of work.

Reactions: westerncat
I thought the caller that said they hired the wrong KP was priceless. He pointed out that While Katrina Powell was part of the program they won a national championship
WeLl that caller wasn't wrong! She helped em achieve the goals set before the season in 2013. If she just hasn't got the banner stripped by stripping. It's always about getting stripped Or about to strip or something with Koach KP.. She likes getting something up and then getting it back down. Hard ones, banners, etc.

Heres the hard part-- UL is going to want him gone at some point, and i guarantee some will say "you didnt give him enough time and youre only firing him early cause he's black" Tubby-esque

100% chance UL is going to have to deal with some race baiting Karens when it comes time to fire KP.

Then there is the truth - Jerry Eaves & Butch Beard clamored for a black former player - one of there own to get the job - really Eaves & Beard wanted to be considered but that was laughable ( all were insulted by the Chris Mack hire)
They got Griff - Wiley - Scooter all on board
AD had no choice would have been a revolt if Payne wasn’t hired. Local media like Bozich & Crawford on board
It’s been a disaster Eaves & Beard are now hated in the community and Payne is so far in over his head he’s just waiting on the call to get canned and get that check
Yeah Im not sure about everyone of these being facts for certain, but it's very closely to how I remember it. Im too Lazy to look up every last detail on it. I know they wanted black in there and somebody from the Crum era when they won chip's and Exhibition games. So, it did come down to race. It'll get ugly again when this little AD need a good therapist for having to fire KP and backlash.

I know some fOrmer players have have flipped on Payne that initially wanted him, but I wonder how many will Say it publicly? I wonder if they'd been fine with Brian Kiser or Beau Zach Smith being hired?

Also didn't Butch Beard be asked to have his name be removed until a black coach was hired abd accused UofL dragging their feet. Maybe he did or maybe it someone else. I just had sex and don't feel like looking it up yet. Mine was all legal. Lasted longer than a shot clock but let's say I would've made it til the under 12 min timeout. Now that counting commercials and stoppage in play. We'll leave ant FTs shot in the first 8 mins out of it tho 😂.

• Haha
Reactions: BigTyrone
Someone will, but I have no idea who would want it. It's still a Top 10 historical program.

Wonder if someone one like Mike White would or if Chris Beard hops from Ole Miss.
I think you gotta see how all this conference shit plays out and see. Its gonna get even more weird. I'd think UofL wouid be a better job than Ole Miss by far. That's just my opinion. Its not a bad job.

Scotty Davenport would've taken it I believe the first time when they hired KP. I almost feel like he'd tell UofL F-you now. Wouldn't blame him. He got Bellarmine as the #1 team in Uof L now and beat em on their home floor. He could've had the cards winning or closer to it than KP has so far and SD had been as loyal as anyone to UL and loved that place, and that was his dream job. Everyone is always worried about making the cool hire today to make splash all the time.

Hell, they could've gave Scotty his chance. May not been as popular for a few days but they may have been some fans awake at the game last night. Look at what he done at Bellarmine..even going from D2 to D1.

A lot of schools make the same mistake, and no it’s not hiring a black man, the mistake is “keeping it in the family” hiring an alum who may be less qualified than a non-alum. UNCheat did it with Doherty and Davis, and Duke did too.
Sometimes it works, but more often it doesn’t.
KP certainly was a top candidate for an entry level, maybe 2nd step HC job. But not for a program that expects to be top 20.

What he actually said was the former president promoted DEI, which most colleges do these days and that’s why they suck. This is why she didn’t want Brohm as the Football coach. He said she wouldn’t fire an African American coach because of these policies no matter what his record was. That’s a hell of a stretch to say he’s a racist that didn’t want him hired at all. This reminds me of phone tag where they story already has been falsely spun.

I think you gotta see how all this conference shit plays out and see. Its gonna get even more weird. I'd think UofL wouid be a better job than Ole Miss by far. That's just my opinion. Its not a bad job.

Scotty Davenport would've taken it I believe the first time when they hired KP. I almost feel like he'd tell UofL F-you now. Wouldn't blame him. He got Bellarmine as the #1 team in Uof L now and beat em on their home floor. He could've had the cards winning or closer to it than KP has so far and SD had been as loyal as anyone to UL and loved that place, and that was his dream job. Everyone is always worried about making the cool hire today to make splash all the time.

Hell, they could've gave Scotty his chance. May not been as popular for a few days but they may have been some fans awake at the game last night. Look at what he done at Bellarmine..even going from D2 to D1.
Here's the thing....I love KP, but how is he a "cool" hire outside of being an alum?

A lot of schools make the same mistake, and no it’s not hiring a black man, the mistake is “keeping it in the family” hiring an alum who may be less qualified than a non-alum. UNCheat did it with Doherty and Davis, and Duke did too.
Sometimes it works, but more often it doesn’t.
KP certainly was a top candidate for an entry level, maybe 2nd step HC job. But not for a program that expects to be top 20.
And sometimes going to your alma mater is not always a good thing, unless they let you run your program. Sometimes, they tell you how to run the program. And that's NEVER a good thing in the long run. I have a feeling KP made the mistake of being "too nice" because it was his alma mater. Tried to go in there and not upset too many apple carts. When what he needed to do was kick down a door, toss a trash can, and not smile for the first year and a half.

Basically, KP is their basketball version of us hiring Joker in football. Former player. Known as a top notch assistant. No prior head coaching experience.

I don’t think it has anything to do with race or liberal politics. They hired someone with connections to the university at a time when nobody really wanted the job.

The caller is a prime example of one of those losers who makes his political ideology his entire identity and personality. Those people have a screw loose and should find a hobby or seek counseling.

Kenny got hired because he is a championship winning alum. He knew the situation at UofL and wants to be the one to lead them back to where UofL basketball belongs. I personally believe UofL's HC job is too big for a first time head coach. But I don't believe he got hired just because he was black. That's nonsense. Would love to see him back on our bench if UofL fans don't want him anymore.

Same reason we took a shot with Joker and Stoops. Sure we could have grabbed a guy who'd underperformed and been fired at another p5 and hope it worked, or take a chance you get a guy who in 5 years is a step above that previous class of coaches.

In a perfect situation UL has the resources to pull a former 1-seed coach (Mack). Once the NCAA stuff was looming, Mack added a few bad years onto the run, etc they were either going to make a Tom Crean, Danny Manning type hire or take a shot with a beloved former player who was credited with some of the greatest recruiting classes of all time at UK. It just didn't work and now the next hire will likely have to be another shot in the dark. The ACC isn't keeping up with the football TV money for programs like UL to pull coaches from the SEC/Big 10 down the road.
Weird bunch of fans. Dumb too.

Joker was hired because he was here and no one else would have taken the job with an AD that had done ZERO improvements to football facilities in his first DECADE on the job, counting Joker's three years. Stoops saw the potential and knew support had to change with the picture of the "recruiting room" all the competition had the picture of. UK losing FIFTEEN THOUSAND season ticket holders, net, AND their donations made it a no brainer that things had to change, AND the SEC distribution made it obvious that the SEC donation to UK was going to explode. And it did, with UK's TWO two win seasons AND the five years in a row with no bowl games contributing NOTHING to that bonanza.

And a lot of our fans still think our AD is a football hero, LOL.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Kenny got hired because he is a championship winning alum. He knew the situation at UofL and wants to be the one to lead them back to where UofL basketball belongs. I personally believe UofL's HC job is too big for a first time head coach. But I don't believe he got hired just because he was black. That's nonsense. Would love to see him back on our bench if UofL fans don't want him anymore.
Or maybe hear me out. Louisville is an overrated program? Who got lucky with Denny Crum. And only got RP because he felt like he could make that into UK 2.0?

Reactions: Pewee Cat
They didn't just hire a"black guy". He's an alumni who was also a NCAA champion and first round pick.
He was also regarded as one of the best assistants in the game.
I never seen the hire as political.
also don't recall that there was a line of good candidates want to take the job after Mack left mid season, admitting he'd lost the team and they didn't want to work at winning.

Or maybe hear me out. Louisville is an overrated program? Who got lucky with Denny Crum. And only got RP because he felt like he could make that into UK 2.0?
Usually we agree, but not on this one. I hate Louisville as much as the next guy, but I can be honest and say they are a Top 10 program all time in my book.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT