ADVERTISEMENT

Looking forward to Duke at ND Monday night (upset special?)

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012

No. 9 Duke, Notre Dame have sights set on ACC standings​

• FLM
  • Jan 30, 2022
A shift in the schedule might bring heightened attention to No. 9 Duke's visit to Notre Dame.
Instead of playing on the first day of January, the game was rescheduled for the last day of the month.
Now, the outcome of Monday night's game at South Bend, Ind., will factor into the top of the Atlantic Coast Conference standings.

The Blue Devils (17-3, 7-2 ACC) will arrive on a three-game winning streak. Notre Dame (14-6, 7-2) has won four in a row. The teams are a half-game behind first-place Miami, so the winner moves into a share of first place.
This will be only the fourth ACC road game for Duke, which won 74-65 on Saturday at Louisville. AJ Griffin racked up 22 points, aided by 5-for-5 shooting on 3-pointers. He's the first freshman in school history to connect on all of his 3-point attempts in a game with a minimum of five launches.

"He's had games like this, but they've been at home or a neutral site," coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "He's just a rising star, he's not a rising good player, he's a rising star and all our guys realize that and so the amount of attention that Paolo (Banchero) gets, or Wendell (Moore Jr.), helps him."
Notre Dame survived Saturday night's home game for a 69-65 win against Virginia.
It's the only scheduled meeting of the season between Duke and Notre Dame. So that means there might not be another coaching matchup between Krzyzewski and Notre Dame's Mike Brey.

Brey is a former Duke assistant coach under Krzyzewski.
"We'll do something. There's no question about it," Brey said of recognizing Krzyzewski's upcoming retirement. "He hired me when I was a high school assistant in 1987. So, I'm forever grateful for the opportunity."
Notre Dame has defeated Duke six times with Brey in charge. The Fighting Irish won five of the first six meetings upon joining the ACC before Duke rattled off seven straight wins in the series before losing their last meeting a season ago.
"They've thumped us a couple of times," Brey said. "The times when we have been able to beat their program, it has been great for the credibility of our program."
The teams split two meetings last season, each team winning on the road.

A Jan. 1 matchup was postponed. At that time, Duke's team was in COVID protocol.
With the new date, it means students are back on campus at Notre Dame. That could be a formula for a more frenzied environment than would have been in place at the beginning of the month.
"It will be a great atmosphere," Brey said.
Griffin said he thrived off the road scene in Louisville.
"I loved it. It's an away game," he said. "We still had the best fan base in the nation, so them being out there and showing us support. That gives you another confidence boost, knowing you have a fan base behind you."

Duke pulled in a season-high 20 offensive rebounds in the Louisville game.
Krzyzewski and Brey will honor the late Tom Konchalski during the game by using special coaching clipboards. It's an effort to raise awareness of the Tom Konchalski Foundation following his death from prostate cancer last February.
"There are basketball gods and they send angels to do their work," Krzyzewski said. "He was one of them. For Tom, it was never about him. It was about the kids and the game. The game of basketball is better as a result of Tom Konchalski."
--Field Level Media

FLM​

• Jan 30, 2022
A shift in the schedule might bring heightened attention to No. 9 Duke's visit to Notre Dame.
Instead of playing on the first day of January, the game was rescheduled for the last day of the month.
Now, the outcome of Monday night's game at South Bend, Ind., will factor into the top of the Atlantic Coast Conference standings.

The Blue Devils (17-3, 7-2 ACC) will arrive on a three-game winning streak. Notre Dame (14-6, 7-2) has won four in a row. The teams are a half-game behind first-place Miami, so the winner moves into a share of first place.
This will be only the fourth ACC road game for Duke, which won 74-65 on Saturday at Louisville. AJ Griffin racked up 22 points, aided by 5-for-5 shooting on 3-pointers. He's the first freshman in school history to connect on all of his 3-point attempts in a game with a minimum of five launches.

"He's had games like this, but they've been at home or a neutral site," coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "He's just a rising star, he's not a rising good player, he's a rising star and all our guys realize that and so the amount of attention that Paolo (Banchero) gets, or Wendell (Moore Jr.), helps him."
Notre Dame survived Saturday night's home game for a 69-65 win against Virginia.
It's the only scheduled meeting of the season between Duke and Notre Dame. So that means there might not be another coaching matchup between Krzyzewski and Notre Dame's Mike Brey.

Brey is a former Duke assistant coach under Krzyzewski.
"We'll do something. There's no question about it," Brey said of recognizing Krzyzewski's upcoming retirement. "He hired me when I was a high school assistant in 1987. So, I'm forever grateful for the opportunity."
Notre Dame has defeated Duke six times with Brey in charge. The Fighting Irish won five of the first six meetings upon joining the ACC before Duke rattled off seven straight wins in the series before losing their last meeting a season ago.
"They've thumped us a couple of times," Brey said. "The times when we have been able to beat their program, it has been great for the credibility of our program."
The teams split two meetings last season, each team winning on the road.

A Jan. 1 matchup was postponed. At that time, Duke's team was in COVID protocol.
With the new date, it means students are back on campus at Notre Dame. That could be a formula for a more frenzied environment than would have been in place at the beginning of the month.
"It will be a great atmosphere," Brey said.
"I loved it. It's an away game," he said. "We still had the best fan base in the nation, so them being out there and showing us support. That gives you another confidence boost, knowing you have a fan base behind you."

Duke pulled in a season-high 20 offensive rebounds in the Louisville game.
Krzyzewski and Brey will honor the late Tom Konchalski during the game by using special coaching clipboards. It's an effort to raise awareness of the Tom Konchalski Foundation following his death from prostate cancer last February.
"There are basketball gods and they send angels to do their work," Krzyzewski said. "He was one of them. For Tom, it was never about him. It was about the kids and the game. The game of basketball is better as a result of Tom Konchalski."
--Field Level Media

Z9IbcxE.gif

I've thought (and said) all along that the loss @ Notre Dame will not be a BAD loss at all come tournament time. It looks like my gut feeling is right on this one. Notre Dame has the chance at some more signature wins to get them off the bubble and into the NCAA tournament, should they keep up the good play.

I would love to see them knock off Duke, then we can put to rest all the ANGST losing that game in South Bend created. Our Cats' learned some valuable lessons in that game, we played our worst game of the year and still almost won.

Having lost @ND, @LSU, and @Auburn and the first game of the season to Duke, it should be seen that it's going to take a good team (NCAA tournament caliber) to beat this Kentucky team at the very least.

Go Big Blue !

ND winning would be very nice for us. Hurts Duke and K, would potentially put them behind us in the rankings/seeding, and if ND wins this, they could be knocking on the door of top25.. making that loss look like even less of an issue (it's now a Quad1 loss). ND is 65th in Kenpom at the moment, but are on a serious run at the moment.

Pulling hard for Notre Dame tomorrow.

ND winning would be very nice for us. Hurts Duke and K, would potentially put them behind us in the rankings/seeding, and if ND wins this, they could be knocking on the door of top25.. making that loss look like even less of an issue (it's now a Quad1 loss). ND is 65th in Kenpom at the moment, but are on a serious run at the moment.

Pulling hard for Notre Dame tomorrow.
This.

Upset alert !

The Notre Dame loss isn't, nor ever has it been, a bad one, even when they were slumping. It was simply a tough road loss in a rowdy environment. They've bounced back nicely and are squarely on the bubble. A big win over Duke, and that's another big signature win to get that NCAA tournament bid.....

We needed a rough environment to get us acclimated to how much hate the haters gonna bring. It turned out to be a hard learning experience as a team, all a part of this year's amazing journey!

From DBR. I like this. Go Irish.

dukelifer
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png

Join DateFeb 2007

Probably the hardest game of the season- given the turnaround and the style of ND. Duke will need to play their A game - particularly at the end because this will be tight. Duke will need to be very smart on D as they play a style that will test patience. ND has been on a roll and their young Freshman is a rising star.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
I think ND can do it, it all depends on how their PG Hubb plays.

There’s a lot of folks on here that love to trash teams like ND and Miss State when in fact they are very good squads. Just another example of the ineptitude and lack of basketball knowledge from posters who contribute nothing to this site.

Reactions: UKfresh

LOL

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Wheeler's defense on inbounds play took him out the last 6 minutes of that game. That was his worst game. Maybe if he comes back in, the outcome would have been different.
We know how to play against that defense now. In every loss was a great game plan against. We now know how to overcome that now.
We might see more zone now after Kansas threw that at us and had us confused.
If we see zone I wish he would put Dontaie in to see his shot 2 times, wishful thinking. Got to pull for our KY boys

Go Cats!!!

Reactions: Fox2monk
I've thought (and said) all along that the loss @ Notre Dame will not be a BAD loss at all come tournament time. It looks like my gut feeling is right on this one. Notre Dame has the chance at some more signature wins to get them off the bubble and into the NCAA tournament, should they keep up the good play.

I would love to see them knock off Duke, then we can put to rest all the ANGST losing that game in South Bend created. Our Cats' learned some valuable lessons in that game, we played our worst game of the year and still almost won.

Having lost @ND, @LSU, and @Auburn and the first game of the season to Duke, it should be seen that it's going to take a good team (NCAA tournament caliber) to beat this Kentucky team at the very least.

Go Big Blue !
Two of them were because of injury, no doubt we beat Auburn and LSU with Wheeler and TyTy.

Reactions: westerncat
Wheeler's defense on inbounds play took him out the last 6 minutes of that game. That was his worst game. Maybe if he comes back in, the outcome would have been different.
We know how to play against that defense now. In every loss was a great game plan against. We now know how to overcome that now.
We might see more zone now after Kansas threw that at us and had us confused.
If we see zone I wish he would put Dontaie in to see his shot 2 times, wishful thinking. Got to pull for our KY boys

Go Cats!!!
The zone at Kansas confused us way more than it should have so not sure where you get the “we now know how to play against that defense.” If we knew there would have been no confusion. Thankfully brooks started getting inside the zone and couldn’t miss. Would have loved to see us have 3 outside shooters on the court there for a stretch but never saw more than 2. Big lead and brooks carried us there but still not sure we have figured out the zone defense just yet.

I think ND can do it, it all depends on how their PG Hubb plays.

There’s a lot of folks on here that love to trash teams like ND and Miss State when in fact they are very good squads. Just another example of the ineptitude and lack of basketball knowledge from posters who contribute nothing to this site.
LOL 🙄

ND shot 28% for the game. If they had made 8 of their blown layups they still would have shot only 40%. Duke shot 40% for the game themselves.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT