ADVERTISEMENT

Lol Cal bragging about how well it works not to call Timeout before last shot

Works once out of ten times and he's a genius.
I Think Hot Ones GIF by First We Feast

Some of you guys take these press conferences way too seriously. Cal just rambles and says stuff specifically to get people going.

There was a segment in the end when he was "criticizing" Reed with a grin on his face glancing toward the back of the room because Reed had just walked in. He was just having a little fun with Reed. Really don't understand the "Cal dislikes Reed" talking point.

We had 8 seconds to score. They had no timeouts left to set up a defense. Why give them one?
This is what Cal was referencing in his opening remarks, not about fouling up 3. I like this strategy more often than not. Cal's refusal to hard hedge the high ball screens is what frustrates me most about him. If Ugo steps out there on that last 3, I'm not sure Hubbard could have made the shot, but you have to practice that.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Not calling a timeout was the correct call. Miss. St. didn't have any timeouts. If we called one they would have organized their defense. Not calling one takes advantage of that fact and you just let a playmaker go make a play.

And for the record, statisticians at Harvard have a sports analytics blog and have analyzed which strategy is better. You're about 20% more likely to make a game winning shot at the end of the game when the game is tied if you do not call a timeout.

That graphic showed he had a 3% success rate not long ago in the last 20 something possessions to tie or lead at the end. Granted his timeout calls lead to lobs and crap that don’t come to working so let a guy make a play. Dilly succeeded last week and Reed tonight’s

As long as he's coach I support him. Am I a big Cal can't do no wrong guy (no), but I'm not bashing him like you guys do all the time. And honestly I don't believe anyone on this board maybe 1% has ever coached high school ball or beyond. And to be real, the Sec is way better in the last 5 years then it has been since probably the 90's. You guys can't even enjoy a win. I hate losing, can't stand it but this is the nature of the game now and that's rebuilding your team every year. You're going to take lumps every now and then.
Cal has recently whipped just about every one of the coaches people on here have been screaming for to replace him. I haven't been particularly keen on our performance at times this year but tonight is not the night to bash the man. Give it a break till the next loss people.

I don’t think anybody disagrees with the logic of that. But for a coach to pump his chest and say that he did some ingenious thing in the scenario is the reason for the “lol”.
You can think what you want, but that ain't what they're saying.

It worked because Cal called a stupid lob play last time and we lost. We're better off if he just stays out of it and lets Sheppard run the team.
There are so many grumpy people after a win. Makes one wonder if we have folks who are Cal haters first and UK fans second. Oh well that's another argument for another day.

Let me offer you and everyone else a piece of advice. Stop listening to Cal talk on your TV. You already know he's going to lie to you. He's going to troll you and agitate you. It's always been his style. It's like knowing the end of a movie is going to make you cry yet you re-watch over and over and then complain that it made you cry. Once the game ends, go do something else. We won so who gives a shit what he says?

Another negative thread after a big win. SMH
Its totally possible to enjoy the W and still discuss the reasons we were behind 75% of the game and why the press conference was insulting, and still have plenty of mention of how great Reed was , and all sorts of things about last nights game , the 5'11 G from MSU went total Allen Iverson on us . And there were finer points to discuss like putting Ugo in for defense AFTER he fouled a G shooting a layup . It's a discussion board , people discuss the good and the bad . Thats life here .
It can be tough but I’ve learned to enjoy UK basketball while completely tuning out our coach.
Its hard . You know he's gonna screw it up .. he already has , we should be 24-4 or 23-5 , but here we are .

Reactions: Jamal Mercer
Its totally possible to enjoy the W and still discuss the reasons we were behind 75% of the game and why the press conference was insulting, and still have plenty of mention of how great Reed was , and all sorts of things about last nights game , the 5'11 G from MSU went total Allen Iverson on us . And there were finer points to discuss like putting Ugo in for defense AFTER he fouled a G shooting a layup . It's a discussion board , people discuss the good and the bad . Thats life here .

Its hard . You know he's gonna screw it up .. he already has , we should be 24-4 or 23-5 , but here we are .
You deserve every ounce of insult you feel.

• Haha
Reactions: ManitouDan
Just listened to Cals 3 part interview with Leach
Opening thought was critical of Reeds turnover
Never complimented him one time in whole interview
Complimented Dillingham & Wagner
Unbelievable
Unbelievable is right, unless Cal is Sick and Twisted. Some people have "screws" loose ... Cal has "bolts" missing.

^^ bunch of trolls out this am , cold beer stout , Freddy , JC Cats .. Cal's water boys .. kiss that sack boys
Yes, that's what this place has come to. Actual fans have become the trolls. Actual trolls, and know-it-all blowhards are respected posters.

Wow, to be so miserable.
I honestly think most in this thread were secretly hoping for an L. Then they could bash away more.
I want the man gone… but my gawd, you guys cant even enjoy a win

Glad I’m not the only one who notices this. Some of our “fans” hate Cal so much they want us to lose so he will leave. Last night was looking like a loss for a majority of the game and the usual suspects were ready to rage. Then we won, and they pivoted to bitching about postgame comments.

We can debate the Cal thing during the offseason. I am ready for a new era too, but all this anger after wins is stupid.

There will be plenty of time to hash, rehash and rehash some more the coaching situation after the season.

Reactions: postmodernprimate
Glad I’m not the only one who notices this. Some of our “fans” hate Cal so much they want us to lose so he will leave. Last night was looking like a loss for a majority of the game and the usual suspects were ready to rage. Then we won, and they pivoted to bitching about postgame comments.

We can debate the Cal thing during the offseason. I am ready for a new era too, but all this anger after wins is stupid.

There will be plenty of time to hash, rehash and rehash some more the coaching situation after the season.
And yet you click on it knowing what it is.

Thanks to Miss St. cutting off DJ so he had to pass it back out to Reed.
It sure looked like DJ didn’t want to give it up. Reed, the hot hand, was asking for the ball the whole way down the court. Dilly wanted it too. I guess it is much better to have 4 guys (you know Reeves wanted it too) that want the ball vs being afraid to take the shot. Just glad it worked.

Agreed. Ugo had been ineffective all night on D and Cal puts him in. I can only guess Cal thought Ugo was a better option for the rebound than Bradshaw or a totally gassed Z.

Imho most of it was because of the post game press conference .. he actually mocked those that disagreed with him as retarded .. it’s not funny

Agreed. Ugo had been ineffective all night on D and Cal puts him in. I can only guess Cal thought Ugo was a better option for the rebound than Bradshaw or a totally gassed Z.
By that time there had a few stoppages and any young athlete can recover in 2-3 minutes , he just needed a blow , not retirement :)

My preference is a timeout, but I get it when you have the players who want to take the big shot. If you got guys like Reed and Dillingham, let it roll I guess.

Started the presser with “see you don’t foul there bc there was too much time”. It was under 15 sec and you have a chance to put a sub 70% freethrow shooter on the line on a do or die situation…you foul. He likely goes 1/2 and you go back to the freethrow line to go up 4 leaving them 3-8 sec to score 4 points.

I’m just glad Reed came up clutch and we didn’t have to hold our breath through OT debating how we blew another game bc of game management
And hear Cal saying the reason we lost was because of 50/50 balls 🙄

Reactions: EliteBlue

Unbelievably happy UK won the game. I jumped up and screamed “storm the court now MFers”. Not my best moment but I enjoyed the win.

You say fans switched to bitching about Cal. Yet Cal cannot just enjoy a win without taking a shot. There was 100% no reason for him to use the tone/doofus voice regarding not calling an timeout other than to take a shot at fans. So it can easily be said that Cal “hates” the fans so much that he cannot resist taking shots at the fans after a big win.

Reactions: crestcat
We had 8 seconds to score. They had no timeouts left to set up a defense. Why give them one?
yep
i really do not understand some posters whining and crying in this thread (other than the fact they have Cal derangement)
no calling a T/O was 100% the right thing
why give their D a chance to set up
why take a chance on sometuing happening on the inbound pass
one guy mentioned a lob, our guys were getting pushed out all game, that would have been the worst play call

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it doesn't matter whether a timeout is called or not called.

Sure calling a timeout you can set up a play. But honestly, I've seen so many times that called play just gets blown up and it's never used. Calling a timeout also allows the defense to get set which for us I think is a bad thing. We like to run.

I feel like most of the game ending possessions is basically get it to the guy that can score the best on your team, get out of his way, and let him do his thing. Our ending possessions in a close game will likely go through either Reed or Rob.

Reactions: fisherscatfan
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it doesn't matter whether a timeout is called or not called.

Sure calling a timeout you can set up a play. But honestly, I've seen so many times that called play just gets blown up and it's never used. Calling a timeout also allows the defense to get set which for us I think is a bad thing. We like to run.

I feel like most of the game ending possessions is basically get it to the guy that can score the best on your team, get out of his way, and let him do his thing. Our ending possessions in a close game will likely go through either Reed or Rob.
In my opinion, calling a timeout or not calling a timeout is very situational dependent. In a game where there is 6-8 seconds or more, just go execute—especially if you have the better guards. When there is less time, something needs to be set up to advance the ball quickly to avoid the half court heave if possible. Cal was 100% right last night regardless of whether or not Reed made the shot.

Last edited:
Wow, to be so miserable.
I honestly think most in this thread were secretly hoping for an L. Then they could bash away more.
I want the man gone… but my gawd, you guys cant even enjoy a win

No, they are glad we won. These people, like myself, are suffering from Cal fatigue. Just stop listening to anything he says, is my only advice.

Cal is always trying to vindicate prior bad coaching decisions after a good win in similar end game circumstances. Cal says Bennies say foul with 16 seconds to play and up three. No benny in their right mind thinks you foul with that much time on the clock.

Just listened to Cals 3 part interview with Leach
Opening thought was critical of Reeds turnover
Never complimented him one time in whole interview
Complimented Dillingham & Wagner
Unbelievable
BS. He is always giving Reed all the flowers he deserves. He did say he "wanted to strangle him" after the turnover. It was a case where he panicked, it happens to the best of them. BUT, Cal goes on raving about Sheppard's tenacity and saying "He plays to win the game", "like not go to overtime, but to win". He loves Reed, it is why he plays the most minutes along with Reeves. He has been VERY critical of Dillingham, Bradshaw, and several others. Do not come on here and act like he doesn't like Sheppard and picks on him. Furthest thing from the truth, but that doesn't fit your narrative and agenda.
I just wish for ONCE all fans could enjoy a big win, it was a quad 1 win on the road in a very tough environment. We have won 3 very big games (another being a road win @ Auburn), along with smoking Bama. That is 3 quality, quad 1 wins out of the last 4 games. Win the next two at home, that will be 4 in a row and 5 out of the last 6 going in to the UT game. Win the UT game (very possible), that would be 5 in a row, 6/7 and 4 quad 1 wins. If that happens, some of you are going to be Hella mad. And I can't wait to read the "blah, blah, blah," BS reasons Cal wasn't PART of it. If they beat UT, watch, it WILL happen right after, some will be on here spewing hate and reason why "we suck" etc. etc. etc.

BS. He is always giving Reed all the flowers he deserves. He did say he "wanted to strangle him" after the turnover. It was a case where he panicked, it happens to the best of them. BUT, Cal goes on raving about Sheppard's tenacity and saying "He plays to win the game", "like not go to overtime, but to win". He loves Reed, it is why he plays the most minutes along with Reeves. He has been VERY critical of Dillingham, Bradshaw, and several others. Do not come on here and act like he doesn't like Sheppard and picks on him. Furthest thing from the truth, but that doesn't fit your narrative and agenda.
I just wish for ONCE all fans could enjoy a big win, it was a quad 1 win on the road in a very tough environment. We have won 3 very big games (another being a road win @ Auburn), along with smoking Bama. That is 3 quality, quad 1 wins out of the last 4 games. Win the next two at home, that will be 4 in a row and 5 out of the last 6 going in to the UT game. Win the UT game (very possible), that would be 5 in a row, 6/7 and 4 quad 1 wins. If that happens, some of you are going to be Hella mad. And I can't wait to read the "blah, blah, blah," BS reasons Cal wasn't PART of it. If they beat UT, watch, it WILL happen right after, some will be on here spewing hate and reason why "we suck" etc. etc. etc.
I can’t speak for anyone but myself but, I do enjoy the “big “ wins its those “little “ losses (LSU,, Fla. etc) that take the shine off the game. If His Snarkiness.would’ve used his coaching brilliance in those games we could really be celebrating. We could be speculating on if we are going to be a one seed or a two seed in the big dance. Whether we get to play close to home or if the committee is going to screw us again and send us out west. Does anyone remember when that used to be a hot topic?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT