ADVERTISEMENT

List of viable replacements.

I’d be fine with Drew, Oats, Pitino or Vogel.

Paris is too green. I remember Dennis Gates was mentioned in these threads last year. Need to see more evidence.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
It’s time for me to bring out my yearly Greg Marshall recommendation. It’s a shame that we have this conversation every single year.

Problem is, if we pay the $34 mill buyout, what's left to hire an accomplished coach, who will certainly be asking for a top tier contract.

I think we'll be forced to hire an up-and-coming coach or one who is playing out his back nine.

Anyone have any interest in Painter? He's had some world class flameouts, but Purdue doesn't get the type of recruits that UK does and yet they haven't really left the Top 5 in 2-3 years. Not sure about him.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Problem is, if we pay the $34 mill buyout, what's left to hire an accomplished coach, who will certainly be asking for a top tier contract.

I think we'll be forced to hire an up-and-coming coach or one who is playing out his back nine.
I personally have no problem with that. We need an up and comer that’s hungry as hell. The UK name and NIL will get us players. I’m not sure Freshman are the answer anymore anyway. We don’t need an old guy close to retiring and have to do it all over again in 4-5 years. Also proven coaches aren’t proven until they are.

Anyone have any interest in Painter? He's had some world class flameouts, but Purdue doesn't get the type of recruits that UK does and yet they haven't really left the Top 5 in 2-3 years. Not sure about him.
I think Painter is a good coach. But could you imagine him coming here and flaming out in the NCAAs like he has with Purdue? This place would go nuclear lol.

Knowing Brainfart, he's probably already brokered a deal for this turd.

chris-holtmann.jpg

He's been living in the Top five for a couple years, at his alma mater. He isn't leaving Purdue.

I thought that also but winning cures everything. They played a much faster tempo against Georgia so it was nice to see that he isn’t just capable of playing slow.
They played very well yesterday. It wasn’t just a bully ball game. Shot well, took care of the ball, shared the ball.

Reactions: TriCountyCat
1. Scott Drew
2. Nate Oats
3. Tommy Lloyd

As much as I would love it, Hurley ain’t coming. He’s at a better modern program, in his native Northeast, with a fan base much easier to please. He’s gonna be a legend in Storrs with several national titles.

• Sad
Reactions: RunninRichie
I personally have no problem with that. We need an up and comer that’s hungry as hell. The UK name and NIL will get us players. I’m not sure Freshman are the answer anymore anyway. We don’t need an old guy close to retiring and have to do it all over again in 4-5 years. Also proven coaches aren’t proven until they are.
I'd prefer a young and hungry coach as well, but the old guy path may work just fine, just as long as we have a viable plan in place and are grooming the right candidate on staff to take over.

Bottom line Brainfart needs to go! We need an AD and a coach.

1. Hurley - probably says no but should be #1 on list and maybe would consider $9 million
2. Oats - exciting style and been SECs best the last 4 years, personality and no elite 8s are drawbacks
3. Drew - consistent winner, but only 2 elite 8s in 20 years. Most likely to accept the job and supposedly #1 on Barnhart’s list

1. Frank Vogel
2. Jodi Fernandez
3. Nick Nurse
4. Dan Hurley
5. Scott Drew
6. Mike Brown
7. JB Bickerstaff
8. Bob Richey
It’s Nate Oates or Scott drew, and mark pope. Mitch isn’t gonna hire an nba guy and an nba guy isn’t gonna come coach a college team. Oates or drew are the first two you call, Oates has his issues but he is better than some of the alternatives

I’m not sold on Paris just yet. Has the Billy G kinda energy to it honestly. Guy has a good season and is automatically on the list? Not trying to bash just saying we need a proven winner when this time comes. Has Paris even won a tourney game? I know he was at Chattanooga before USC and made the tourney at least once. Not saying he wouldn’t be good, just a bit early IMO.

The rest of most everyone’s list I would be happy with personally—Drew, Oats, etc. Even Pearl at this point who I’ve been pretty staunchly against bc I think he is overrated as well I think would be a clear upgrade at this point.

Dan Hurley would be an idiot to leave UCONN BTW—ain’t happening.

Reactions: KyLegacy
There’s only one guy out there that needs to be called and that’s Dan Hurley.
Problem is Hurley is make over 5mill at UConn...even if he left UConn, he would want Cal like money and I just don't see the university ponying up that kind of $ for any coach, so soon after Cal having shit the bed.

On top of salary, remember most established successful coaches are also likely to have a substantial buyout clause attached to their contract.

Reactions: Zissou87
I don’t think Mitch would offer Beard and possibly even Oats.
Hurley is only making a little over $5 million, same as Drew. Oats a little over $4 million.
You’d have to think at least one or all would jump at chance to be at UK and make $7 or $8 million per year. I’d even offer Hurley $9 million if that’s what it takes

Couple of thoughts on this.
1. Cal isn’t going anywhere unfortunately. He isn’t walking away from $9 million a year. Cap loves him and brain dead Mitch screwed us with the contract. It’s sad as hell.
2. On the off chance lightning strikes and he does leave, I think UK should consider Pearl although Mr. Christian Mitch would never do it. At one point, I despised Pearl- but there is absolutely no doubt the man can coach and he has been respectful of the UK program. And his teams play with an edge. He has also proved on several levels he can win games in March.
3. Not sure I want Oats- great coach but not sold on his ability to make a run in March. Maybe this is the year.
4. I simply don’t trust Mitch to make the right choice. He has been a complete moron with decisions for a while throughout the athletic department.

Anyone but Pearl , that slime should never ever be handed the keys to our program ,, yes he gets his test to play with an edge ... against Kentucky , but Brucie is a camera hawk , when the lights are not shining so brightly .. like when UK comes to town , his results are not that great . We dont hire that type of slime at UK .

Reactions: KFuqua
Lamont Paris was successful at Chattanooga before going to USC. In only second year he’s 19-3 and kicked our butt and beat UT in Knoxville. The team that just kicked our butt in Rupp. I think you would have to seriously look at that dude if the position came open.

Tony Bennett. Doubt he would leave UVA after all these years, and the first thing people will say is his system is boring. But the dude has won the ACC multiple times (not in down years), but a one seed multiple times and has won a championship (yes directly after losing to a 16-seed). He's also in his mid 50s. He should be on the list.

• Wow
Reactions: catben
Problem is Hurley is make over 5mill at UConn...even if he left UConn, he would want Cal like money and I just don't see the university ponying up that kind of $ for any coach, so soon after Cal having shit the bed.

On top of salary, remember most established successful coaches are also likely to have a substantial buyout clause attached to their contract.
Give it to him. Whatever it takes.

What about Few? If Cal sticks around another year or so, and the Zags have another non-stellar season, Few may possibly be an option. He may feel that the Gonzaga run has run its course. And he may want to try the big seat. Who knows. He's 61 now. Not old, not young. He would be a safe bet to not screw it up. It's smalls odds, I know, but in another year, it may be more of a possibility than we thought before this season started.

• Wow
Reactions: catben
1. Frank Vogel
2. Jodi Fernandez
3. Nick Nurse
4. Dan Hurley
5. Scott Drew
6. Mike Brown
7. JB Bickerstaff
8. Bob Richey
Right now I'd be willing to give kid's rec league coach a chance. He had the smarts to go zone in their title game and won by 20+.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT