ADVERTISEMENT

Linebackers

Jul 26, 2003
Was surprised to see that our linebackers are ranked as the third best in the country. Remember that Clemson is one of the ones ranked ahead of us. Mentioned three players, Jackson coming back, Afari and Johnson coming in.

Raynor another very experienced good player that could have a very good year with the one year under his belt here. Then all of the younger guys like Fearby, Godfrey, Brown and all the Smith boys. Will be interesting to see which ones of the younger guys makes an impact this season.

Last edited:
That is surprising but we do have plenty of guys who, on paper, should be very solid. If they play like they should, this could be a very strong group. Coupled with a strong DL group, the front 7 could be a problem for our opponents. If the secondary steps up and we find a way to pressure the opposing QBs, the defense could be damn good.

If BVG can be at least average in running the offense and getting the ball to the playmakers, this team could surprise a bunch of folks (me, included).

Was surprised to see that our linebackers are ranked as the third best in the country. Remember that Clemson is one of the ones ranked ahead of us. Mentioned three players, Jackson coming back, Afari and Johnson coming in.

Raynor another very experienced good player that could have a very good year with the one year under his belt here. Then all of the younger guys like Fearby, Godfrey, Brown and all the Smith boys. Will be interesting to see which ones of the younger guys makes an impact this season.
Excellent.

What is the source of this LB ranking? Thanks.

D’ Eryk Jackson (D’Jack) is the coolest story. Dude slept in his car to attend a UK camp, where he earned a scholarship offer!!

Adding PFF’s ninth best returning backer, Dumas/Johnson from UGA helped nab the third ranked unit.

Here’s the link to PFF LB rankings:

Last edited:
D’ Eryk Jackson (D’Jack) is the coolest story. Dude slept in his car to attend a UK camp, where he earned a scholarship offer!!

Adding PFF’s ninth best returning backer, Dumas/Johnson from UGA helped nab the third ranked unit.

Here’s the link to PFF LB rankings:

D'Eryk Jackson is yet another example of our coaching staff taking a lightly recruited low-3 star with underrated tools and developing him into an all conference caliber player. Coach Mike knows what he is doing. He didn't recruit D'Eryk but he is primarily responsible for his development at the current level. Very impressive.

I am excited to see what happens with Grant Godfrey and eventually Devin Smith and Steven Soles. A whole lot of talent and motor there.

We need Weaver or Fearbry to provide excellent pass rush. I’m glad to have Weaver for the extra year. Returning that many snaps is always a good thing for depth. But, I’m ready to give the younger guys some more snaps on the edge.

I agree that this defense can be very, very good. But excellent pressure from the edge is a game changer.

We need Weaver or Fearbry to provide excellent pass rush. I’m glad to have Weaver for the extra year. Returning that many snaps is always a good thing for depth. But, I’m ready to give the younger guys some more snaps on the edge.

I agree that this defense can be very, very good. But excellent pressure from the edge is a game changer.

Weaver is good against the run. He seldom gets blocked cleanly on the edge. I don't think he will ever be a very good pass rusher, but he gets some pressure on the pocket now and then. Fearbry is sort of the opposite, a pretty quick pass rusher but not thick enough yet in the lower body to be very consistent against the run.

Weaver is good against the run. He seldom gets blocked cleanly on the edge. I don't think he will ever be a very good pass rusher, but he gets some pressure on the pocket now and then. Fearbry is sort of the opposite, a pretty quick pass rusher but not thick enough yet in the lower body to be very consistent against the run.
Agree with your assessment. Consequently, I hope to see more of Fearbry in obvious passing situations. I think less snaps for Weaver could actually help his production.

Agree with your assessment. Consequently, I hope to see more of Fearbry in obvious passing situations. I think less snaps for Weaver could actually help his production.
I think so too. And, based on the spring coach speak, Fearbry will play a role in the Jack playing rotation this year.

The other question is whether a third Jack LB will see the field this year for Coach White. That might need to be a freshman. But since Weaver will exhaust his eligibility this fall, it would make sense to give some playing experience to someone besides Fearbry.

Reactions: bballcat4
Hoping Noah Matthews is ready to step up his game, that would be a huge plus. Similar in size to Fearbry.

It seems to me that Weaver is being told to be more of a edge setter and to not straight rush the QB.

That's the only thing that makes sense to me since he was really causing problems for QB's his SO year and hasn't really gotten any pressure since.

I know the injury slowed him down but surely it hasn't hampered him him this much.

It's also 4am and I'm having withdrawals after finally getting off of Percocet after being on quite a bit for over 5 years now from a botched surgery so I may be delirious...

Brown has mainly been playing Mike but also can play Will. Godfrey redshirted, sat for a while with an injury, and has mainly been practicing at Will. Godfrey is the son of Randall Godfrey. Good young players.

Dad's nickname was Zeus and was a monster the day he stepped on campus. I am guessing the son had a little easier time growing up than the dad.

Reactions: Blouman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT