ADVERTISEMENT

Like Father, Like Son

Woodsmoke

Sophomore
Feb 27, 2023
2125-F3-C0-19-C4-4219-8708-1-A82-FD29-E472.jpg

Jeff only scored 570 points his first 3 seasons. After redshirting and playing his last season as a 24 year old, he broke out and scored 521 points.

Reed is way better now than Jeff was his first three years. Hopefully he will be as good or better than senior season Jeff.

Let’s just agree to disagree here. This is the epitome of a Win-Win scenario.
The “old man” will forever be one of my all time favorite Cats. He actually did it….let’s see if Junior can follow. To be better than dad, would take #9 AND #10.
What if he decides not to stay two years? Is he worse by default? I don't think that's fair at all.

I'm not sure he's better than Dad right now, but he's without question and elite talent that will only get better.
Shep is one of my all time favorites, and I'd be willing to bet Reed will be a huge fan favorite now, and after his time at UK.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Jeff only scored 570 points his first 3 seasons. After redshirting and playing his last season as a 24 year old, he broke out and scored 521 points.

Reed is way better now than Jeff was his first three years. Hopefully he will be as good or better than senior season Jeff.
Lots of competition for Jeff to get on the court then. Not that Reed doesn’t have any but way more playing time available now. I agree he’s further along earlier though.

What if he decides not to stay two years? Is he worse by default? I don't think that's fair at all.
Probably not fair to even compare them either as I suspect dad and son alike would prefer to allow Reed to carve out his own individual legacy….but it’s an easy draw for us fans to make those comparisons being discussed now.
My response is based on what would provide ME with Reed getting the nod of most favored Sheppard. Dad played on 2 title teams as a Cat…with that in mind, I should bump my logic to Reed getting #9, #10 AND #11.
Ending this with I’m so grateful BOTH of them chose to represent UK. Our program and bball history will enjoy the benefits father and son bring to Kentucky. Wish I could live long enough to see if Reed adds a 3rd chapter to the Sheppard / UK saga.

Probably not fair to even compare them either as I suspect dad and son alike would prefer to allow Reed to carve out his own individual legacy….but it’s an easy draw for us fans to make those comparisons being discussed now.
My response is based on what would provide ME with Reed getting the nod of most favored Sheppard. Dad played on 2 title teams as a Cat…with that in mind, I should bump my logic to Reed getting #9, #10 AND #11.
Ending this with I’m so grateful BOTH of them chose to represent UK. Our program and bball history will enjoy the benefits father and son bring to Kentucky. Wish I could live long enough to see if Reed adds a 3rd chapter to the Sheppard / UK saga.
Considering there's never been a three-peat in CBB that's highly unlikely.

I too am glad he's here.

EDIT: UCLA. Major brain fart.

Last edited:

This pretty much isn’t true for many reasons. One very obvious one is that Jeff played on highly talented and extremely skilled teams. Reed’s team is athletically gifted but the skills level is very pedestrian, even novice, by comparison. One reason is age. Another reason is that skills are simply not taught in prep schools and leagues. By contrast Reed is somewhat more advanced than his teammates in his basketball skill. Thus he appears better than dad but that is far from being proven.

Apples to cars comparison. Dad came up in a time younger players just didn’t see the floor. Very much a “pay your dues” culture back then, where today freshmen dominate minutes played.

Also Dad played on some monster teams that would absolutely mop the floor with this years team. The talent level back then was off the charts compared to now with one and done and developmental leagues.

Yeah, brain fart. I forgot they strung together that five year run. I thought there was a year they skipped.

In my defense that was over 50 years ago. So let me rephrase. There hasn't been a three peat in the modern era.

We were dang close though.

Reactions: Aike
Yeah, brain fart. I forgot they strung together that five year run. I thought there was a year they skipped.

In my defense that was over 50 years ago. So let me rephrase. There hasn't been a three peat in the modern era.

We were dang close though.
Modern era......f%#k, I'm old.

Reactions: crestcat
Apples to cars comparison. Dad came up in a time younger players just didn’t see the floor. Very much a “pay your dues” culture back then, where today freshmen dominate minutes played.

Also Dad played on some monster teams that would absolutely mop the floor with this years team. The talent level back then was off the charts compared to now with one and done and developmental leagues.
The teams were different, but Jeff was very very raw his first couple of years and was not a very good basketball player. He got by on being a great athlete. The redshirt year and being 24 years old his senior year really made him prosper his last season.

I still wish he redshirted his freshman year instead of his senior season. We would have won it all in 1997 and had a three-peat in 98.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT