ADVERTISEMENT

LIAM MCNEELEY

I’m told by a guy I know who is neck deep in following these high schoolers that McNeeley is a real baller that can really shoot it. He’s still a freshman though.

Reactions: chroix and Fox2monk
I think Cade Tyson (from Belmont) is a currently better version of McNeeley. But if McNeeley was not already committed to being OAD, he'd be a nice pickup for any program - and I'd say the same thing about every one of UK's incoming recruits. I think the problem with him and UK at this point, however, is that UK is just going to have too many freshmen on the roster already - unless UK is just writing off next season and using it to build for the future (i.e., plans to return almost all the incoming freshmen for the following year).

I think Cade Tyson (from Belmont) is a currently better version of McNeeley. But if McNeeley was not already committed to being OAD, he'd be a nice pickup for any program - and I'd say the same thing about every one of UK's incoming recruits. I think the problem with him and UK at this point, however, is that UK is just going to have too many freshmen on the roster already - unless UK is just writing off next season and using it to build for the future (i.e., plans to return almost all the incoming freshmen for the following year).
Tyson, Blackmon and omoruyi should all be takes no matter how many freshman are on the roster. I just have a feeling 1-2 of these freshman will look to go to other options, because Kentucky may or may not encourage it

Reactions: G-PIP
How about having the freshmen sign two year contracts and a statement that no one has promised them either a starting role or playing time . That they recognize the players who perform the best will be the ones that play . If they balk at either of those who cares . We don’t want them anyway

Reactions: G-PIP
How about having the freshmen sign two year contracts and a statement that no one has promised them either a starting role or playing time . That they recognize the players who perform the best will be the ones that play . If they balk at either of those who cares . We don’t want them anyway
How about having Calipari sign a contract like that?

Tyson, Blackmon and omoruyi should all be takes no matter how many freshman are on the roster. I just have a feeling 1-2 of these freshman will look to go to other options, because Kentucky may or may not encourage it
I agree with you that the player types that Tyson, Blackmon and Omoruyi represent the transfer portal positions UK needs; and I like all three. But there's just so many really good players entering the portal and will continue to be entering the portal (e.g., draft withdrawals) that it's hard for me to decide who I'd like to see UK pull the trigger on. But you also don't want to wait around and lose the best options. Tough choices that require a lot of study and planning - which is the job the guys UK is paying millions are hopefully doing.

I agree with you that the player types that Tyson, Blackmon and Omoruyi represent the transfer portal positions UK needs; and I like all three. But there's just so many really good players entering the portal and will continue to be entering the portal (e.g., draft withdrawals) that it's hard for me to decide who I'd like to see UK pull the trigger on. But you also don't want to wait around and lose the best options. Tough choices that require a lot of study and planning - which is the job the guys UK is paying millions are hopefully doing.
Agree, Blackmon is great but there are a ton of guys like him who can score and shoot, Tyson to me is an instant take. 6’7 guy who can shoot and score, every team in the nation needs that. Omoruyi is experienced and you know what you are getting

We already have 6 Freshman, he would be the 7th, should we have a limit to how many freshmen we should have on the team? In other words, no matter how good this guy is should we find a portal guy with experience and pass in him?
You're forgetting if Cal thinks a player will make it to the NBA he will try and get him. Because only Cal can make kids dreams come true. Haven't you seen enough to know it's not about having the best team?

We already have 6 Freshman, he would be the 7th, should we have a limit to how many freshmen we should have on the team? In other words, no matter how good this guy is should we find a portal guy with experience and pass in him?
Personally I don’t think they all make it to Lexington. I think Somto may go elsewhere if we take a transfer Big and Z comes back. I think there is a small chance another decides that but very small.

A team of freshmen. A team of seniors. A team of 5-star talent. A team with great shooters. A team of defensive minded dawgs. A team with a little bit of everything.

Rest assured, Cal will find a way to underachieve with whatever hand he's dealt.

I know, I’d really like to have him but we already have to many Freshman.

Anyone heard anything about this guy? apparently 43% from the 3
I saw McNeely play in person several games during the City of Palms classic this past December. I like his game! He hustles his butt off and at 212 lbs he was very effective at mixing it up in the trenches and he didn't shy away from contact like Edwards did. He played under control and was very effective at utilizing picks to take high percentage shots. He is not a "razzle dazzel, gee whiz" show boat but a smart heady player with high bb IQ.
McNeely will not be a typical freshman since he played for the #1 high school team in the country and played virtually every high school game against teams loaded with 4 and 5 star players that could beat many college teams. I would take him over many of the upper classmen that are in the portal. I hope we get him.

Really smart move. smh. Recruits will be banging down our door to get in.

Well, we brought in 7 last year, and were still harboring an un-used scholly…and this year we’re definitely showing some the door, or they’re walking out of it. So welcome to the wonderful world of “Who The Hell Is On My Team”…AGAIN!!

I saw McNeely play in person several games during the City of Palms classic this past December. I like his game! He hustles his butt off and at 212 lbs he was very effective at mixing it up in the trenches and he didn't shy away from contact like Edwards did. He played under control and was very effective at utilizing picks to take high percentage shots. He is not a "razzle dazzel, gee whiz" show boat but a smart heady player with high bb IQ.
McNeely will not be a typical freshman since he played for the #1 high school team in the country and played virtually every high school game against teams loaded with 4 and 5 star players that could beat many college teams. I would take him over many of the upper classmen that are in the portal. I hope we get him.
Even though it’s the top HS competition, it’s still not 22-23 year old men. If we could keep him a couple years I’d love to have him, but I’d rather take someone with college experience and strength if it’s 1 year.

Reactions: Fox2monk and G-PIP
Cal should not take more than 2 freshman they are gonna leave after one year anyways so why not load up on older kids from the portal Cal is falling behind

I would have taken him in a heartbeat over Edwards this year. He seems to play with a purpose and is always around the ball goes hard all the time plus a good outside shooter, drives well to the basket and knows when to dunk the ball and when to lay it in, no dunking it off the front of the rim stuff. I watched him in the McDonalds practice on tv he looked better than Cooper Flag in that scrimmage.

Reactions: tug1543
I would have taken him in a heartbeat over Edwards this year. He seems to play with a purpose and is always around the ball goes hard all the time plus a good outside shooter, drives well to the basket and knows when to dunk the ball and when to lay it in, no dunking it off the front of the rim stuff. I watched him in the McDonalds practice on tv he looked better than Cooper Flag in that scrimmage.
Yeah, McNeely looks like a true three. Flagg looks like a true four. McNeely looks much better on the perimeter than Flagg. But Duke has two other frosh that are true 3's. We literally need at least three more really good shooters/scorers to add to the team. If Shep is not back Perry may be the only threat out front. Fland shoots it pretty well but is more of a set up type of player from what I have seen. Need guys like Tyson, Freeman and McNeely or we are going to take a step back shooting the ball.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Simply put, he's a basketball player. Just knows how to play the game. After watching some game footage and several more clips on this kid, he'll be a solid player bc of his frame, basketball IQ, and shot/fundamentals.

I obviously have reservations about freshmen given our incoming class size but I think you take him. I believe he's a better piece than some we already have on board.

Cal should not take more than 2 freshman they are gonna leave after one year anyways so why not load up on older kids from the portal Cal is falling behind
Exactly, either recruit a couple dudes you are confident will return for a 2nd or 3rd year and 2 stud OAD, then fill the rest with older experience. Preferably ones with 2 years left but if we are gonna have a new team every year let’s get older at least.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT