ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk offense... (kind of long, sorry)

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
First, love him or hate him, we know what the philosophy is on defense. The first couple of series, we'll play our base vanilla scheme and give up yards and, at times, points. Then, we'll adjust to what the opponent is doing and begin mixing it up. Regardless, we will play a ton of zone, rush 3 often, try to keep everything in front, make the offense sustain long drives, concede the short passes to the flats, etc.

This year, on offense, I have no idea what we are doing 7 games into the season. There is a series every so often that appears well thought out (TD drive to open the second half), but the vast majority this season has seemed like Hamdan is picking plays out of a hat. I do not think Stoops is calling plays, so we can't blame him.

But, there doesn't seem to be any plan for each game. Will we run left because we feel there is a matchup we like? Throw more flat passes because we like our RBs in space vs their LBs? Will we work the vulnerable spaces in the zones they like to play? And, when we have a good drive, why do we not continue to do the good things that work? Why do we not have our biggest back, Trayanum, in the backfield in short yardage situations? Why do we run the same play with Wimsatt? Why do we run the same play when we're under center? And much more.

Our QBs are not being coached very well. BV had receivers wide open for easy yards and he throws into coverage. He does it, Levis and Leary did it, too. BV is still very raw but it gets no help most of the time from the OL, receivers, play calling, momentum killing rotation of QBs.

Does anyone see a well thought out plan of attack in any of the seven games so far?

For what it’s worth, last year Boise St was 23rd in the country with 439 ypg. So whatever Hamdan was doing before was working. Of course this year they’re top 5 with over 500 ypg, so they did get better after he left.

• Haha
Reactions: KyLegacy
It's truly baffling.

We'll have a series where we run effectively and score. The next series we'll throw three consecutive 15 yards passes for incompletions and punt. And there's no logical reason to do so. Or, we'll have a back, like Wilcox, who picks up significant yardage on two carries and then he gets one more carry for the last 3 quarters.

Every series just seems so haphazard. It can't help the players when the OC never seems to find a rhythm.

Can't blame BH. He's in his first year in a P4 (really P2) conference with a first year starting QB that he didn't recruit, who was coached and developed in an entirely different system with a lot better talent for 3 years.

You think we're upset and wondering WTF is going on? Imagine being BV, spent 3 years in well-oiled machine. Comes here, and this is what he's got to deal with?

We shouldn't be the ones starting threads complaining about offense. We know what we have when it comes to CMS. That's our bed that we've made.

BV should be the one b*tching. We can't even argue "well defensive head coach...that side is solid has talent/depth, plus CMS usually does run game pretty good."

BV comes from the mecca of defensive talent and run game...and guess what, they do pass game pretty good too.

Then to add insult to injury. The coaching staff in all their wisdom decides to do some half assed two QB system and give some of your snaps to a kid whom Rutgers told "no thanks"

I mean it would make more sense to give Boley some reps here and there. For Hamdan to develop him. We don't need a QB who can run, BV is actually a really good athlete and tough runner.

For what it’s worth, last year Boise St was 23rd in the country with 439 ypg. So whatever Hamdan was doing before was working. Of course this year they’re top 5 with over 500 ypg, so they did get better after he left.
There's a hell of a lot of difference in coaching at Boise State, the competition they face, and the SEC, and there's a reason Brock hardly played at Georgia and other portal transfers were not starters at their former schools.

Can't blame BH. He's in his first year in a P4 (really P2) conference with a first year starting QB that he didn't recruit, who was coached and developed in an entirely different system with a lot better talent for 3 years.

You think we're upset and wondering WTF is going on? Imagine being BV, spent 3 years in well-oiled machine. Comes here, and this is what he's got to deal with?

We shouldn't be the ones starting threads complaining about offense. We know what we have when it comes to CMS. That's our bed that we've made.

BV should be the one b*tching. We can't even argue "well defensive head coach...that side is solid has talent/depth, plus CMS usually does run game pretty good."

BV comes from the mecca of defensive talent and run game...and guess what, they do pass game pretty good too.

Then to add insult to injury. The coaching staff in all their wisdom decides to do some half assed two QB system and give some of your snaps to a kid whom Rutgers told "no thanks"

I mean it would make more sense to give Boley some reps here and there. For Hamdan to develop him. We don't need a QB who can run, BV is actually a really good athlete and tough runner.
BV is getting paid HANDSOMELY for what LITTLE he is producing. That is the BIGGEST problem outside of our HORRENDOUS OT situation(we don't have any). BV struggles reading defenses pre AND post snap. It's the SAME problem we had, but to a lesser extent, with the previous 2, even Levis.

BV is getting paid HANDSOMELY for what LITTLE he is producing. That is the BIGGEST problem outside of our HORRENDOUS OT situation(we don't have any). BV struggles reading defenses pre AND post snap. It's the SAME problem we had, but to a lesser extent, with the previous 2, even Levis.
I’m no Football Frankie but I’d wager if Brock had the o-line we had 3-6 years ago he’d look a lot better. But I don’t understand breaking the momentum of every drive with a guaranteed option run up the middle for Wimsatt. Give him a whole series if you want to change things up or promised him PT.

I’m no Football Frankie but I’d wager if Brock had the o-line we had 3-6 years ago he’d look a lot better. But I don’t understand breaking the momentum of every drive with a guaranteed option run up the middle for Wimsatt. Give him a whole series if you want to change things up or promised him PT.
I agree with the Wimsatt part, but I don't think Vanderpuff would fare much better with the old BBW. He has a weak arm, little pocket presence, and zero read progression. He also doesn't seem to be able to read defenses very well either. He's basically a senior with the skills of a freshman.

Reactions: catben and megablue
The only semblance of a plan I see is that we seem to have scripted touches for Brown and Wimsatt. The way we do it is so predictable that all those jet sweeps and designed QB runs have been close to worthless though.

We certainly don’t seem to have any particular plan for attacking a defense’s weakness or really even picking something as our strength and putting an emphasis on establishing it. Your “picking plays out of a hat” comparison seems spot on to me.

I agree with the Wimsatt part, but I don't think Vanderpuff would fare much better with the old BBW. He has a weak arm, little pocket presence, and zero read progression. He also doesn't seem to be able to read defenses very well either. He's basically a senior with the skills of a freshman.
Don’t agree with that. I think he has shown some talent. He can push the ball down the field it’s just he’s very inconsistent with his reads and decision making. Which isn’t going to get better until he gets more experience.

Does anyone know the actual evaluation of BV versus GW in the practices before the season ?? I understand that BV seemed to be the guaranteed starter from Day 1, but what did the comparisons look like in actual, live practice situations ?? I sense that GW was doing some pretty impressive things, but I can certainly be wrong. It appears that GW earned some snaps ...

Isn't it funny that every last one of our QBs since Stoops took the gig has struggled with that. Reading Ds, running the offense, producing.

It's not BV. He was in line to be the UGA starter had Beck left.

Take out the two QBs LC coached all the other QBs averaged about 12-15 passing TDs and less than 2500 yds.

Reactions: catben
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT