ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk about specific UT matchups and strategy plz

Feb 16, 2024
I honestly would really love to see this game be a w. My blind hatred for them eliminates rational thought haha no really, here's hoping to their bootays being tightened because of a possible home court loss combined with our improvements. I'm a huge Z fan so I'll start with his ability to spread the floor and pass.

UT - like some other teams UK might face in the tourney— is just a bad matchup for the Cats. UK’s lack of physicality (everywhere but especially upfront) makes it so difficult to defend and rebound. Vols had 16 offensive rebounds in Lexington and shot more FTs.

Vols also hit 12 3s. I think you do what you did against Auburn and Bama. Try to make them beat you hitting 2s and hope you can somehow outscore them.

A quick start sure would be nice. Like maybe 12-8 at the first TV timeout.

And, I'd even be happy with the 8! As long as it's not 14-5 or something.

UT - like some other teams UK might face in the tourney— is just a bad matchup for the Cats. UK’s lack of physicality (everywhere but especially upfront) makes it so difficult to defend and rebound. Vols had 16 offensive rebounds in Lexington and shot more FTs.

Vols also hit 12 3s. I think you do what you did against Auburn and Bama. Try to make them beat you hitting 2s and hope you can somehow outscore them.
Definitely saw that, and I'm really happy DJ is smiling and showing better feet, really hope he helps with the defensive effort like he has shown he can and he's our most physical guard.
If I'm Cow, I'm immediately sending Dilly or whoever's attacking directly into Knechts chest ASAP on offense.

Reactions: Haggin_Hall_1983
UT
- Score 80 and gives up 64 per game
-Has (3) 5th year players who start
-Very physical team
-Good depth
-Struggle offensively without Knecht

UK
- Can score on anyone
- Great 3 point shooting percentage
- Young but have experience with Reeves and Mitchell. Young players maturing lately

Keys to the game
-Knecht can't have a giant scoring game, Adou and Justin guard him? and don't help off him
-Ziegler makes them go, hope he gets in foul trouble early
- Rebounding, Rebounding!
-Hope CCC uses zone occasionally and shadows Knecht
-Good shooting by Cats and moving the basketball

Do we bring our AU/Alabama or LSU game? Tough team at home so we will need some breaks to win IMHO

Keys to the game
-Knecht can't have a giant scoring game, Adou and Justin guard him? and don't help off him

Do we bring our AU/Alabama or LSU game? Tough team at home so we will need some breaks to win IMHO
We limited Knecht in the 1st meeting and lost.

(Don't ask me how to win. I'm not a coach.)

Knecht was slowed nicely in Lexington - likely will not happen in Knoxville - so he will likely get his unless we could somehow get him in foul trouble.

JJJ played above avg in Lexington - need him to be avg.

UT gets to play VERY physical defense, they cannot win without being VERY physical/fouling... that said we will have to match it and hope fouls are called evenly. I doubt even calling so we'd better score... need at least a 10 point differential to offset their physical play and home cooking calls.

The two players that most concern me are their facilitators, 8th year guard Vescovi - he can be great or quite avg... need that avg game to happen and lastly Zeigler who I think is the main concern. Not only can he score (and Cal defenses ALWAYS struggle against small fast guards) - but he's been killing it with assist numbers.

Their bigs are not skilled on offense - but can score close to the rim (assists/offensive tackles-rebounds). On defense they are just foul machines. If refs let it go - it will be tough to score around the rim.

Barnes, who plays that type of "defense", counts on refs not making all the calls - only the most egregious or convenient (ie: call a foul on the floor - not a shooting foul).

How do we win? - score a lot and at an efficient FG percentage. Hope one of our bigs is not injured in this one...

Match their physicality as best they can, and hit 50%+ on threes. This should yield a win. If it's a battle of attrition (matching physicality) we have more capable bodies.

Reactions: struggler
Knecht did nothing against us the 1st half but it was a blowout . If the other weapons they have are scoring we have no chance if we shoot 100% from 3

Watching that game and it felt as UK really didn’t have a chance. UT controlled it from start to finish. They just looked like a better, more complete team. Not sure how much has substantially changed since then. Although Wagner didn’t play. So maybe that will be a boost.

I honestly would really love to see this game be a w. My blind hatred for them eliminates rational thought haha no really, here's hoping to their bootays being tightened because of a possible home court loss combined with our improvements. I'm a huge Z fan so I'll start with his ability to spread the floor and pass.
Tennessee isn't important enough to hate. Step child program with the trophy case to match.

I think Ziegler, not Knecht is their key.
Also don’t let Aidou or James go off. Just assume Knecht gets 20-25

Thiero and Edward's on Knecht. With Wagner this time it will make a big difference. Tennessee will score plenty on us 85+ points im sure. We just have to be firing again on offense and drop 100+. The key will be don't fall behind big and to end that 5-8 minute offensive lull we seem to have every game. Keep the offense flowing the entire game and I believe we will win.

If Edwards is hitting from outside, Knecht will struggle to guard him. Containing Ziegler is the one I worry about the most. Can't let Josiah-Jordan James averaging 8.8 PPG have another 26-point game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3Bluefever325
Knecht is not a great defender and we need to get him into situations where he has to guard someone and hopefully get in foul trouble.

Edwards and Thiero is who I would have driving right at him. He can’t stop either and will have to back up and give up an easy layup or foul.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
UT
- Score 80 and gives up 64 per game
-Has (3) 5th year players who start
-Very physical team
-Good depth
-Struggle offensively without Knecht

UK
- Can score on anyone
- Great 3 point shooting percentage
- Young but have experience with Reeves and Mitchell. Young players maturing lately

Keys to the game

We better not help off of Knecht at all!!! Hopefully we learned that from the first game!!! Hope we find a way to hammer down defense and break out open in transition. I'm playing shep a good bit if he's in the zone w disruption. Tell him n Dilly to attack Ziegler in drives too

Reactions: Kyhoward
Knecht was slowed nicely in Lexington - likely will not happen in Knoxville - so he will likely get his unless we could somehow get him in foul trouble.

UT gets to play VERY physical defense, they cannot win without being VERY physical/fouling... that said we will have to match it and hope fouls are called evenly. I doubt even calling so we'd better score... need at least a 10 point differential to offset their physical play and home cooking calls.

The two players that most concern me are their facilitators, 8th year guard Vescovi - he can be great or quite avg... need that avg game to happen and lastly Zeigler who I think is the main concern. Not only can he score (and Cal defenses ALWAYS struggle against small fast guards) - but he's been killing it with assist numbers.

Their bigs are not skilled on offense - but can score close to the rim (assists/offensive tackles-rebounds). On defense they are just foul machines. If refs let it go - it will be tough to score around the rim.

Barnes, who plays that type of "defense", counts on refs not making all the calls - only the most egregious or convenient (ie: call a foul on the floor - not a shooting foul).

How do we win? - score a lot and at an efficient FG percentage. Hope one of our bigs is not injured in this one...
That's kind of what I was thinking emphasize transition offense opportunity through defensive pressure and then break out Z to shoot over them. Maybe there's something to that line up with Z on the five and Edwards on the floor( maybe start thiero for his strength since z isn't quite there with the three guards! Might be a pipe dream but I would try to pressure them hard and first, set the tone and outrun/ defend them

Reactions: struggler
Rockyflop.jpg

You have to contest their shots.

James/Vescovi/Zeigler are shitty shooters, but if you leave them wide open they'll make them. These are extremely experienced players. Of the 3 though Zeigler is the one most likely to get and stay hot.

Speaking of Zakai. The key of the game, imho. Along with Knecht these are the 2 guys you have to do the best with denying them the ball. Make the other UT non-shooters make plays to beat you. Also, don't play handsy defense. The guards are pretty strong with the ball so play the passing lanes if you wish, but if they get by you chances are you aren't just going to get a steal.

Cannot let Vescovi/Zeigler/James shoot 20 for 33 and 10 for 19 from 3. Do that again and even this Kentucky offense will struggle to keep up because that means UT is scoring at will.

Also, 18 offensive rebounds? Come on Cats. Unacceptable. This also must be improved upon. They had 22 second chance points last game. Also outscored us by 12 points in the paint. That has to be a smaller margin.

I will also note that the first Tennessee game was one of the few that DJ missed in SEC play. Will be interesting to see if he can build off this last game with 19 points & 4 3's. Dillingham went for 35 that game. As usual though, offense isn't as much of a concern as the defense needed to pull off a win in Knoxville.

Finally someone sees this. We are not that bad defensively as we think I believe. Cal teaches NBA defense. Hands off. Hands up, slap at a ball if they bring it down.
Barnes teaches EVERY PLAYER put your hand on a shoulder or hip to prevent a burst. As soon as they drive remove it. Damage is done. You have no burst with a hand on your hip or shoulder. Officials should call 5 fouls on the first possession and let Tennessee know it won’t be acceptable. It’s a foul. They won’t. Here is the kicker. Our coach should see this and tell his guys. Put a hand on a hip. They are not calling it. He won’t. It doesn’t prepare our guys to play in the league. They don’t allow that. It’s very difficult to win playing by the rules when the other team is not. Our coach should allow our guys to play how the NCAA accepts. He doesn’t.

Watching that game and it felt as UK really didn’t have a chance. UT controlled it from start to finish. They just looked like a better, more complete team. Not sure how much has substantially changed since then. Although Wagner didn’t play. So maybe that will be a boost.
I really think a lot can be different and that they were already at their ceiling and looking forward to humiliating and bullying some freshmen, considering they start 3/5 year seniors. I know some of our guys feel a deep desire for vengeance, and I hope they will be out for blood , like I said earlier I'm really thinking DJ Wagner's defensive presence will make a big difference in our ability to cover and guard Vescoopie and Ziegler and big Z can stretch out their bigs unlike last game we played.
I really feel like we have a chance.

I would tell all three of our 7-footers to never leave the paint on defense. Be rim-protectors and rebounders, first and foremost !!

I will also note that the first Tennessee game was one of the few that DJ missed in SEC play. Will be interesting to see if he can build off this last game with 19 points & 4 3's. Dillingham went for 35 that game. As usual though, offense isn't as much of a concern as the defense needed to pull off a win in Knoxville.
Really hoping Wagner's size and improved defense make a difference I think it will. Looking forward to matchup

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT