ADVERTISEMENT

Legal question.

SkyPrince1

Senior
Aug 17, 2004
Will the 2nd degree murder charge against the GA US shooter's dad hold or will it be pled down or dismissed entirety.
I know there are several on this forum with criminal law experience, just looking for an informed take on how this will possibly play out.

My guess is that the charges won't stick, too many lesser charges are in play. This being such a high profile incident it is possible but the father's only connection is buying the gun(so far). Facilitation is likely to be on the table.

Reactions: chroix
My guess is that the charges won't stick, too many lesser charges are in play. This being such a high profile incident it is possible but the father's only connection is buying the gun(so far). Facilitation is likely to be on the table.
IIRC, the dad bought the gun AFTER the kid had been investigated for having made threats.

IIRC, the dad bought the gun AFTER the kid had been investigated for having made threats.
Yeah that's taking poor judgement to the extreme but did he break the law?
I've heard nothing to suggest that he was under any kind of order from the courts or the FBI to remove guns or not have guns on the premise.

Yeah that's taking poor judgement to the extreme but did he break the law?
I've heard nothing to suggest that he was under any kind of order from the courts or the FBI to remove guns or not have guns on the premise.
Well, the father did break the law. You must be over 18 to own a gun in Georgia.

Reactions: J_Dee and chroix
Crazy that the FBI let the kid walk without as much as a psych eval.
Should have been evaluated and findings turned over to a juvenile court to make the determination of whether his residence should have been mandated to be gun free which is common in EPO cases

Reactions: J_Dee
The article I read said dad purchased the gun as a Xmas gift in 2023 and allowed him to have access to the gun when he knew the son was a threat to himself and others. It was unclear when the boy was investigated

FWIW, the guy who sold the gun that killed Steve McNair got 30 months.
Idk how much of that was the fact he possessed the gun in the first place as a convicted felon.

This guy will probably end up with multiple accessory charges. If the prosecutor is gung ho (seems to be) it could get interesting.

This is going to be very interesting. On one hand the dad bought a gun in the same home as a child who threatened to shoot the school up. On the other, the gun was bought after law enforcement investigated and declared the kid not a threat.

Was it a poor decision? Yes. However if law enforcement clears someone, I dont see how you can punish them for actions consistent with those findings.

Will be interesting.

I would think the case where the parents were just recently convicted of a crime when there son was involved in a mass shooting would be a case to compare this to but I am not sure of the ins and outs of each of them.

The mom is a shit show too from what I’ve read (assuming it accurate). Sounds like this kid was subjected to a lot and the parents possess zero judgment. That said he did it and may fry down there. Dad will end up with reckless homicide / manslaughter times 4 and a host of other charges. I could see dad not getting out of prison for a long time. Also the aunt appears wacko as well.

I probably would wait for a while and see what the facts turn out to be before speculating, he may end up innocent, or may end up with a lot of explaining to do. Sounds like the kid had a really bad family life (not that it excuses his actions in any way)

It's a good question but at the end of the day, it's just another in a long line of tragedies that shouldn't have happened and some people shouldn't be parents. Imagine authorities questioning your child for threats of violence and you still believe it's a good idea to buy him a weapon a year later, at 14 years of age. I've said this many times in the past but not everyone needs or should have a gun. I have no sympathy for these shitty parents. I mean, are we going to find out the parents are nutcases too who've said some crazy stuff online as well? Like father, like son.

Crazy that the FBI let the kid walk without as much as a psych eval.
Should have been evaluated and findings turned over to a juvenile court to make the determination of whether his residence should have been mandated to be gun free which is common in EPO cases

This guy will probably end up with multiple accessory charges. If the prosecutor is gung ho (seems to be) it could get interesting.

To me this reeks of the authorities going overboard in order to cover their butts due to letting the kid off earlier. I personally think it’s a crock of crap and no way would I vote to convict if I were on that jury:

The mom is a shit show too from what I’ve read (assuming it accurate). Sounds like this kid was subjected to a lot and the parents possess zero judgment. That said he did it and may fry down there. Dad will end up with reckless homicide / manslaughter times 4 and a host of other charges. I could see dad not getting out of prison for a long time. Also the aunt appears wacko as well.
Yep. She was caught with meth, Fentanyl, a glass pipe while vandalizing her estranged husband’s truck.

This kid was a tomato in a white-trash salad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT