ADVERTISEMENT

Leary and WR’s no where near as bad as many on this board are making them out to be

HerrosHeroes

All-American
Aug 16, 2018
Leary’s #s thru 5 games (2 SEC):

1,129 yds passing
10 TDs
5 Ints

Thats 226 yds per gm w/2 TDs and a smidge over 1 int a game

Are they Tim Couch #s? No, but they dont have to be when you have an OLine like UKs and a cannon ball RB who is leading the SEC in rushing.

To beat Georgia those numbers will have to be about the same or a bit better but lets not act like the world is coming to an end.

I think that the stats are just not as good as we had hoped that they would be -- and certainly not good in the FLA game.

Keeping my fingers crossed that both the QB and WR have great games this weekend.
When SBR is running for 280 yds you dont have to throw and you shouldn't.
V the Dawgs they will force UK to throw more by stacking the box, our boys are more than capable of burning their asses when they do.

Pick your poison Kirby.

Reactions: wobycat
You forgot one stat: 56.9% completion. I agree that the overall stats aren't horrible. But, you'd have to admit that <60% completion percentage is not what anyone was expecting. Plus, we played 3 cupcakes and Vandy in the first 5 games - not exactly Murderer's Row. OTOH, one stat that Leary definitely has a positive effect on that won't show up in his personal stat line: only 4 sacks YTD. OL is definitely playing better but Leary has shown the ability to step up in the pocket, get rid of the ball quickly instead of taking a sack (plus Coen's scheme almost always has a quick, safety valve so QB doesn't have to hold the ball for 4+ secs).

He's been OK but surely not much more than that. Has shown flashes of really getting it and then has a game like he did vs Florida and you start to question just how much longer until he's consistent and producing at a level we expected. Between tipped passes at the LOS and flat out drops by the receivers, his stats could be better. But, he's also had some really awful throws that had no chance of completion. Need him and the receivers to really step up against the Dawgs or it could be a long evening.

You forgot one stat: 56.9% completion. I agree that the overall stats aren't horrible. But, you'd have to admit that <60% completion percentage is not what anyone was expecting. Plus, we played 3 cupcakes and Vandy in the first 5 games - not exactly Murderer's Row. OTOH, one stat that Leary definitely has a positive effect on that won't show up in his personal stat line: only 4 sacks YTD. OL is definitely playing better but Leary has shown the ability to step up in the pocket, get rid of the ball quickly instead of taking a sack (plus Coen's scheme almost always has a quick, safety valve so QB doesn't have to hold the ball for 4+ secs).

He's been OK but surely not much more than that. Has shown flashes of really getting it and then has a game like he did vs Florida and you start to question just how much longer until he's consistent and producing at a level we expected. Between tipped passes at the LOS and flat out drops by the receivers, his stats could be better. But, he's also had some really awful throws that had no chance of completion. Need him and the receivers to really step up against the Dawgs or it could be a long evening.
I think alot of people are freaking out over the 69 yds passing v Florida.
First of all UK ran over the Gators right out of the gate and they really couldn't stop us until the game was already decided starting the 2nd half.
Were there some bad passes? Yes. Were there some drops? Yes.
If we are going to beat #1 between the hedges that has to be a priority to clean up.

Last edited:
Our passing game has not been good so far, and there’s no need to sugar coat it. We rank 10th (out of 14 teams) in the SEC in passing yards, and that’s with 4 out of our first 5 games being the easiest ones on our schedule.

I’m not panicking just yet because we are 5-0, and Leary has been better than this before, but there’s room for legitimate concern. There’s enough defenses in this conference who won’t just let Davis run all over them that we’re going to need much better production than we’re currently getting through the air if we want to hit our ceiling as a team.

I agree with the OP but can you post Learys SEC stats only?

Not good ao far, has to improve. Same with receivers and drops.

Drops and missed routes are on the WRs. Factor those out of the equation and there’s a lot less to complain about Leary’s performance so far. If the WR’s elevate their game, Leary will be, at very worst, a good game managing quarterback.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Several of th Paul looking passes were because of wrong routes run by the receivers, although there have been a few just awful passes. A really good route runner is almost impossible to cover consistently.

I think that the stats are just not as good as we had hoped that they would be -- and certainly not good in the FLA game.

Keeping my fingers crossed that both the QB and WR have great games this weekend.

Ya. Those numbers against the weakest part of our schedule is pretty pedestrian. As we get into the meat of our schedule they could very well slide down.

Reactions: JasonRDunn

1,129 yds passing
10 TDs
5 Ints

Are they Tim Couch #s? No, but they dont have to be when you have an OLine like UKs and a cannon ball RB who is leading the SEC in rushing.

To beat Georgia those numbers will have to be about the same or a bit better but lets not act like the world is coming to an end.
It's a nice sentiment, but Coach Stoops says he wants a more balanced offense. Unless our passing game becomes more effective, we won't be able to stop opposing defenses from moving a safety closer to the line of scrimmage to stop our running game like FL did in the 2nd half. We got by on Saturday against FL, but we will not be competitive with GA unless Leary is more effective on Saturday. Leary is throwing slightly more than 28 passes per game, which ranks #8 in the SEC. Leary has thrown 82 completions in 142 attempts (57.7%) for 1,129 yards, which ranks #9 in total passing yards and #13 in completion %. His 10 TD passes rank #5 in the SEC but his 5 picks put him near the bottom of the conference in that stat (despite being sacked only 4 times, which is tied for best in the SEC). In yards per attempt, Leary ranks #10 in the conference.

It could have been worse, but nobody believes this performance (so far) is up to expectations (which were high). Leary missed most of the 2022 season after injuring a chest wall muscle. After watching replays, I personally believe Leary has struggled this year with his arm slot, which has hurt his consistency and caused some of his passes to sail. I believe he will work on this with Coach Coen and keep getting better. It would help if Dane Key and Barion Brown stop dropping catchable passes.

Guru and commenter Aaron Gershon said today that 11% of Devin Leary's 2023 incompletions are being classified as drops. Interesting. IDK where to find comparative stats for other SEC QBs, but 11% sounds like a huge number of drops to me. If this is accurate, it puts Leary's struggles in a little bit different context. ln view of the fact that nearly all of the drops are being committed by two receivers, I wonder how the distribution of pass targets might change in the weeks ahead, including tomorrow in Athens.

1,129 yds passing
10 TDs
5 Ints

The receivers have the highest drop rate in America. They haven’t been terrible but they have been well below standards. Key drops a big pass every game, brown drops wide open ones but will catch the ones with two defenders on his back, Robinson has been consistent for the most part. The receivers have been nowhere near what they should be

Reactions: CatPatrick13
Is it possible there is a residual effect with Leary from his injury?

that points strongly to just plain lack of focus and concentration. I hope they practice that visualization stuff on issue like that it helps immensely.
Good point. I have no idea if this is true, a guy who is friends with my parents used to play football and was a WR when he played and he has told us Kentucky WRs don’t run clean routes and don’t know how to finish them off correctly, that’s why they don’t get separation. I have no idea if that true, I do know they drop a lot of passes, and In keys case it’s in his head

Guru and commenter Aaron Gershon said today that 11% of Devin Leary's 2023 incompletions are being classified as drops. Interesting. IDK where to find comparative stats for other SEC QBs, but 11% sounds like a huge number of drops to me. If this is accurate, it puts Leary's struggles in a little bit different context. ln view of the fact that nearly all of the drops are being committed by two receivers, I wonder how the distribution of pass targets might change in the weeks ahead, including tomorrow in Athens.
Seems like three to five per game just going off memory. And those aren't the "hoping for a miracle catch". These are very catchable passes that dudes just aren't coming up with.

I’m betting the passing issues were a major point of focus this week for the offense. Probably got some extra reps post practice as well. With all the question marks coming into this season (OL/RBs/DBs) that the staff has addressed I’m certain they get this worked out too. Hopefully tonight :)

Leary does have, from my perspective, a wobble to his throw at times.

Not sure if this can be fixed.

Other times, he throws the pass pretty much to the receivers hands but has a high arch to the throw. Makes the receiver wonder if it will reach him.

There's more to improve upon. If we can get our offense together, our defense will only feed off that energy and make some great plays.......I hope we get interceptions, or more pick 6 plays....Those are fun to watch.

A couple of them need a firecracker placed in a certain area and lit. Maybe that would motivate them?

Reactions: JASUN74
The receivers are dropping balls all over the field and Leery clearly has some kind of issue from his Pectoral surgery. He isn't throwing those off target passes on pourpose, but it is happenning.

A team mate in Highschool was all state football and State champion in the 100 yard dash. He was highly recruited by UK. I called him Stone Hands. He lasted less than a season at UK once they saw what they had.

Fastst guy in the world is no good as a WR if he can't catch a ball.

A team mate in Highschool was all state football and State champion in the 100 yard dash. He was highly recruited by UK. I called him Stone Hands. He lasted less than a season at UK once they saw what they had.

Fastst guy in the world is no good as a WR if he can't catch a ball.
John Logan?

I agree on Leary. He's way better than most anyone on here gives him credit for.

Disagree on wrs. They're (especially barion) are way worse than most anyone realizes. Key finally looked like he was getting his game back vs Georgia. Robinson is our best all around guy but almost all of Leary's misses are to Robinson which leads me to believe Robinson is just making the wrong read in the route. I know for sure he missed a read vs Florida and didn't sit where he should. Leary threw exactly where he should but Robinson wasn't there. Announcers have Leary the heat for it

I made a long post in another thread with just tip of the iceberg stuff on barion. Long story short he's selfish, weak, and isn't worth wasting another deep throw unless he clearly has his man beat. He also doesn't block. He is dynamite with the ball in his hands in a special teams/screen/hand off guy; but that's it. Fans love the long ball and they saw him hit a few home runs and fell in love with him. He needs to not start next game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT