ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP Lanier to UT

Knecht is an outlier. Lanier is no Knecht and all of my friends that are Tennessee fans keep saying to temper expectations because even they know Knecht was an outlier.

Last year I wanted to go after Knecht and was pissed off we didn’t even try. When the entire portal began Lanier wasn’t even someone most people we looking at. I get wanting the versatility in the guard spot but I’m telling yall Lanier will be average at Tennessee. Just because Knecht blew up doesn’t mean every small college guard that transfers there will too lol.

Also Kentucky is being very methodical about their approach to using NIL funds which is smart to do. A lot of these teams are going to get burned and it’ll all slow down. I agree with MM that the approach we’re taking is the smart one right now. The ones overpaying for these players are going to set a really bad precedent they can’t meet in the future.
These days you have to pay or you will get left in the dust. I wouldn't mind if it was 1958 and guys played for the love of a school and the front of the jersey but that's just not the way it works anymore.

I had a feeling this is how it was going to go once a Vols visit was 100% confirmed. We offered more money and he still chose them. We just couldn’t overcome an unknown coaching commodity against a HOF coach. From what I’ve read, Barnes helping turn Knecht into a lottery pick was huge in this one.

Hopefully next year these kids will have a change of heart once it’s known if Pope can coach at this level.
Do you have a link on how much UK offered him, and how much UT offered him?

Knecht is an outlier. Lanier is no Knecht and all of my friends that are Tennessee fans keep saying to temper expectations because even they know Knecht was an outlier.

Last year I wanted to go after Knecht and was pissed off we didn’t even try. When the entire portal began Lanier wasn’t even someone most people we looking at. I get wanting the versatility in the guard spot but I’m telling yall Lanier will be average at Tennessee. Just because Knecht blew up doesn’t mean every small college guard that transfers there will too lol.

Also Kentucky is being very methodical about their approach to using NIL funds which is smart to do. A lot of these teams are going to get burned and it’ll all slow down. I agree with MM that the approach we’re taking is the smart one right now. The ones overpaying for these players are going to set a really bad precedent they can’t meet in the future.

It does seem that a lot of schools are burning through their "fantasy FAB" money, so to speak. $2mil for guys who might do nothing more than get their team to a 2nd round loss, sure doesn't seem worth it. And when that happens, that $2mil might not be there again next year to use, from some lawfirm that realized what a waste of resources that was. I like that UK is playing it conservatively.. for now. If we need to jump into the "highest bidder" war, we got plenty of years to do that.

Good post.

Tennessee tampering early and then him visiting BYU when obviously it differs from faith are both weird things in this recruitment.

Barnes would chalk this up to being a good fit based on basketball and shared faith, but really it had quite a bit to do with tampering, Lanier’s agent, and money.

I wish him the best for sure and hope he doesn’t make us regret not having him, but it seemed like a lot a fake drama and that this was always Tennessee.

These days you have to pay or you will get left in the dust. I wouldn't mind if it was 1958 and guys played for the love of a school and the front of the jersey but that's just not the way it works anymore.

It matters still. Only fans of lesser programs want to believe it’s not. Those schools have always paid under the table, exposure and major brand is still a massive selling point and always will be. Obviously, money has always been the driver, but you seem to think it’s all been clean and without payouts until now. I’ve got a large bridge for sale that stretches to Alaska. When the money is similar and they have a chance to play at a blue blood it’s still going to be tough to beat us out. Lanier is a UT FAN he grew up rooting for them by his own admission. His family is a few hours away. That’s ALWAYS been hard to get players like that dream school or not. There’s a reason not many big programs went in his direction. We gave it a shot because of proximity to Lexington and we’re a better program, but it was always going to be tough.

It does seem that a lot of schools are burning through their "fantasy FAB" money, so to speak. $2mil for guys who might do nothing more than get their team to a 2nd round loss, sure doesn't seem worth it. And when that happens, that $2mil might not be there again next year to use, from some lawfirm that realized what a waste of resources that was. I like that UK is playing it conservatively.. for now. If we need to jump into the "highest bidder" war, we got plenty of years to do that.
This current model is new and you’ve got some teams getting the most out of it right now. Programs like Kentucky and UNC are not going to get involved in it and they shouldn’t. You cannot show future recruits that blue bloods will payout crazy amounts. The agents already know we want to win more than anyone and they’re playing the game. We can’t set that kind of precedent.

All of this will calm down it’s just going to take some time. The good news for us is we will pay more in the long run than all of these SEC football programs. The football coaches in this conference are not going to allow the basketball teams to suck money away to a large degree. The blue bloods are setting the table that although we will pay a lot of money to win, we’re not going to be fleeced. If we wanted to outbid most of these programs we could. In the end the schools that care the most about basketball will pay more than most too. And getting the brand of blue blood is still desired over others, it’s just the money has to be there now too.

• Haha
Reactions: readmorevols
It matters still. Only fans of lesser programs want to believe it’s not. Those schools have always paid under the table, exposure and major brand is still a massive selling point and always will be. Obviously, money has always been the driver, but you seem to think it’s all been clean and without payouts until now. I’ve got a large bridge for sale that stretches to Alaska. When the money is similar and they have a chance to play at a blue blood it’s still going to be tough to beat us out. Lanier is a UT FAN he grew up rooting for them by his own admission. His family is a few hours away. That’s ALWAYS been hard to get players like that dream school or not. There’s a reason not many big programs went in his direction. We gave it a shot because of proximity to Lexington and we’re a better program, but it was always going to be tough.

This current model is new and you’ve got some teams getting the most out of it right now. Programs like Kentucky and UNC are not going to get involved in it and they shouldn’t. You cannot show future recruits that blue bloods will payout crazy amounts. The agents already know we want to win more than anyone and they’re playing the game. We can’t set that kind of precedent.

All of this will calm down it’s just going to take some time. The good news for us is we will pay more in the long run than all of these SEC football programs. The football coaches in this conference are not going to allow the basketball teams to suck money away to a large degree. The blue bloods are setting the table that although we will pay a lot of money to win, we’re not going to be fleeced. If we wanted to outbid most of these programs we could. In the end the schools that care the most about basketball will pay more than most too. And getting the brand of blue blood is still desired over others, it’s just the money has to be there now too.
Maybe but it's obvious now that recruits aren't just flocking here because UK is a big name. Many of the top guys clearly weren't interested.

Tennessee can promise him complete freedom and unlimited shots. That doesn't work in Pope's offense. Jaxson is the better player so get him and this is a non story.

LOL. everyone who complains has to be a rival fan. It's not just the theme of this board it's a motto you all should make T-shirts of and wear around town. Why don't you just tell me to go be an Arkansas fan as if I had any stomach for that. Being smart enough to see things for what they really are is not a hallmark of someone here to troll. Look at what the Tennessee fan above me is doing and compare it to my post history.
For someone so confident they are bright you sure seem to seem to feel it is necessary to either crow about your smarts or alternatively send "gentle reminders" how witless others are an awful lot.

Only men without confidence react the way you are to mine. The trick is to become a person you like. If you like yourself, you'll carry yourself the exact same way I carry myself. And you won't be threatened by other peoples' confidence.
I'll be blunt.

Your bravado reads as an act.

I'll be blunt.

Your bravado reads as an act.
So will I, I don't give any sh*ts what you think. If that's how you perceive me, my message isn't intended for you. I'm not trying to persuade the unpersuadable. I'm trying to persuade everyone on this board who is open to growth. And they are on here. Far more people do not post than do post. so you can feel whatever way you want to about me. It doesn't bother me a bit.

For someone so confident they are bright you sure seem to seem to feel it is necessary to either crow about your smarts or alternatively send "gentle reminders" how witless others are an awful lot.
Brother, every ounce of confidence I have comes when I compare myself to other people. I don't think that much of myself independent of a comparison to <waves hands in a general direction> so thanks for the self-confidence, chump.

Reactions: Wright2007
How do you know the money amount?

This is according to Vols mods on another service. They states the NIL packages went:

1. BYU(significantly higher than UK)
2. UK(moderately higher than Vols)
3. Vols

BYU swung the hardest. But we offered more than the Vols and we lost out to the coaching ability of Barnes. The atmosphere was also quoted as being a big factor. Apparently Barnes was running a practice when Lanier arrived.

We were also accused of trying to hold Lanier over to make him late to his visit which didn’t set well with Lanier either.

Do you have a link on how much UK offered him, and how much UT offered him?

I’m copying and pasting from a question similar to yours:

According to Vols mods on another service. They states the NIL packages went:

3. Vols

Maybe but it's obvious now that recruits aren't just flocking here because UK is a big name. Many of the top guys clearly weren't interested.

I don’t see how this is any different than before. I’ve seen us lose recruits to UT, USC, Florida, all of them. He’s a UT fan from Tennessee. We’ve taken our share and we’ve lost some from Tennessee. It’s always been this way. Of Lanier is just so damn good why weren’t any of the big boys on him until Kentucky at the last second? Duke, UNC, UConn, even Kentucky, never got involved. Why? Because he’s a Tennessee kid who had been tampered with for over a year and everyone knew it’s a waste of time. It says absolutely less than nothing about the landscape or the power of blue bloods. We’ve got Kriisa coming in and already have Butler. You don’t think that made a difference as well? Tennessee promised him the Knecht role and a million shots per game. lol. Good lord yall.

What top guys weren’t interested? We’ve had a coach for 2 months who has scrambled to put a roster together as an unknown and he got a visit. That says a lot.

If Cal was still at UK Lanier would have been chosing between BYU and Tennessee, two barely average programs. This kid is no Dalton Knecht. It’s literally not a huge deal and I bet Butler locks him up. He’s only 6’3 and isn’t lightening fast. He lost to all of the major teams he played and was around 5 points off his average in those games.

I’m copying and pasting from a question similar to yours:

According to Vols mods on another service. They states the NIL packages went:

3. Vols
giphy.gif

I don’t see how this is any different than before. I’ve seen us lose recruits to UT, USC, Florida, all of them. He’s a UT fan from Tennessee. We’ve taken our share and we’ve lost some from Tennessee. It’s always been this way. Of Lanier is just so damn good why weren’t any of the big boys on him until Kentucky at the last second? Duke, UNC, UConn, even Kentucky, never got involved. Why? Because he’s a Tennessee kid who had been tampered with for over a year and everyone knew it’s a waste of time. It says absolutely less than nothing about the landscape or the power of blue bloods.

What top guys weren’t interested? We’ve had a coach for 2 months who has scrambled to put a roster together as an unknown and he got a visit. That says a lot.

If Cal was still at UK Lanier would have been chosing between BYU and Tennessee, two barely average programs. This kid is no Dalton Knecht. It’s literally not a huge deal and I bet Butler locks him up. He’s only 6’3 and isn’t lightening fast. He lost to all of the major teams he played and was around 5 points off his average in those games.
I sure don't detect any fan bias in your post,lol.

Reactions: BobbyBigBlue
Sorry to be late to the party tonight. Attended my grandson's high school graduation followed by a late dinner.
I'm sure all of the RR regulars have adequately dissected this news, but ... was anybody surprised ?
Now let's forget about Lanier and concentrate our hopes and positive thoughts on getting Jaxson Robinson.
And ... I'm still interested in Washington State transfer Jaylen Wells, 6'8" SF. Anybody heard anything about Wells lately ?

Every time he has a good game, you know someone will start a thread on here with his stats.

I wish the best for him, but hope whoever we get turns into a better fit for us.

People need to chill. I'm pumped up and on board with Pope but as if now we are a fringe NCAA team. Stop chugging blue kool-aid. We need these last 2 spots to be big gets or it's hope to finish top 4 SEC if everything goes right and Pope is way better than we hoped.

Reality time people. Our starting PG isn't a shooter and makes his living driving but is a 60% FT shooter. I hope the coach and system can carry us but this isn't an 11 that makes the Tourney.

I will pray to be wrong and I'm still all in, but dam we needed a stud and are yet to land one.

People need to chill. I'm pumped up and on board with Pope but as if now we are a fringe NCAA team. Stop chugging blue kool-aid. We need these last 2 spots to be big gets or it's hope to finish top 4 SEC if everything goes right and Pope is way better than we hoped.

Reality time people. Our starting PG isn't a shooter and makes his living driving but is a 60% FT shooter. I hope the coach and system can carry us but this isn't an 11 that makes the Tourney.

I will pray to be wrong and I'm still all in, but dam we needed a stud and are yet to land one.
Fringe tourney team is also being to far into the overly critical realm. They are top 25-30 team without Robinson or poplar, get one of them and they are for sure top 20 maybe even top 15

It is, but I’m starting to feel better about Jaxson Robinson. If he pulls out of the draft and picks UK, I’m fine with this miss.
Yeah, I've really wanted Johnson the most. Missing Lanier doesn't make me lose sleep. My gut is telling me that even though it's a miss, it's not a big miss. I may not know a lot, but I do trust my instincts. I've studied the stats, the players, sat back and just listened and read, trying to learn.

The one I truly want and think will be a great piece to our team is Robinson. If he doesn't go the draft route then I want him HERE!!!

GO BIG BLUE AND
COACH POPE, TOO!!!💙💙💙

When I read that Lanier was going to TN for his last visit, I knew he wasn't coming to Kentucky.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT